conrail1990

Default Cropping Help

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=929301&key=0

Any help would be appreciated.
conrail1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:52 PM   #2
troy12n
Banned

Too much on the right, nothing of consequence on the left, subject is centered, etc.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:54 PM   #3
magicman_841

The train is centered horizontally. You have to move it up or down! I'd move the train down in order to avoid cutting off the electrical towers in the background

Also, I would try to include all of the relay box on the left, and remove some of the right side (at least that cut-off car front).

Hope this helps,
Old 05-09-2011, 05:12 PM   #4
oltmannd

There's an awful lot of non-scene setting stuff in the shot. The nose of the car and highway sign at right have to go. So does the billboard at the left and the wires at the top right. I don' think the crossbuck and post at left are helpful, either.

How about a tighter crop by putting the milepost in the lower left and cropping the right to just include the gate and flasher? Leave the signal bungalow and gates/flashers on the left out completely.

The gon and box car would balance the tree right/left in the shot and the high tension wires running parallel to the top of the train are not a distraction.

The only element left in the shot that is a distraction would be the lamp post on the highway bridge above the box car.

I'd leave about two or three times as much sky about the locomotives as track below. That puts the center of the loco nose roughly at the 1/3 points.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4997.1304855201.jpg (422.8 KB, 75 views)
oltmannd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:21 PM   #5
JRMDC

Don is not wrong. At the same time, his suggestions - reasonable ones for this shot! - suck the life out of the image.

I would go back and a) shoot wider, capturing full versions of the various elements of the shot, the relay box, even the billboard, maybe even the waiting car at the right edge, and then crop more sensibly, having more material to work with, and b) think more about the timing of the shot, so for example the engine doesn't touch and partially obscure the support for the crossing signal. So that the stuff in the shot holds together instead of banging into each other. Oh, and c) move around a bit - there may be a vantage point somewhere only 50 feet or even 20 feet away where everything comes together much more sensibly than this.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:32 PM   #6
nikos1

I'd try something like this, if you wanted to keep trying the shot. It may or may not get on, its very cluttered.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blafgh.jpg (532.8 KB, 77 views)

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:42 PM   #7
conrail1990

I decided to try out what Mathieu had suggested, but with no luck.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=990017862

Thanks for the suggestions guys! Its really helped.
conrail1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:47 PM   #8
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

I think the wires have a "stepped" look to them, which may have triggered the oversharpened. Over contrasty ballast perhaps. If you have sharpened the whole image quite a bit, try just sharpening just the front of the loco instead.
Hatchetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:54 PM   #9
oltmannd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Don is not wrong. At the same time, his suggestions - reasonable ones for this shot! - suck the life out of the image.

I would go back and a) shoot wider, capturing full versions of the various elements of the shot, the relay box, even the billboard, maybe even the waiting car at the right edge, and then crop more sensibly, having more material to work with, and b) think more about the timing of the shot, so for example the engine doesn't touch and partially obscure the support for the crossing signal. So that the stuff in the shot holds together instead of banging into each other. Oh, and c) move around a bit - there may be a vantage point somewhere only 50 feet or even 20 feet away where everything comes together much more sensibly than this.
You are more of a "Jim Boyd" type photographer, then. He seemed to wanted include the setting as a vital part of the shot.

I'll second your "a" through "c", especially "b" and "c". The crossing stuff and highway underpass might be used to frame the train and give the shot context.
oltmannd is offline   Reply With Quote