Old 05-21-2009, 07:59 PM   #26
SCFrankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I do think I am getting a little too used to see the same old stuff. Maybe a better way to put it for me is that I find Columbia in general boring. The closest short line to me now is proobably a tie between the CPDR and L&C, about 55 miles to each. But that's a little misleading because I'd hit the end of the line to each and then have to cover the line from there. The South Carolina Central might be a little closer, but for the most part, the Bishopville end of the line is the least exciting and photogenic.
Maybe we should trade houses, mine is for sale.. Won't need it after I ship out to BCT, the rest of the family is moving back to AL. I am 5 miles from the midpoint of the CPDR.

Quote:
I did mean to ask you though about the CPDR running at night. When do they leave Laurens? I'm working second shift now and I'm thinking there may be one night I want to head out for a bit after midnight.
The night trains originate at Mauldin, not Laurens. The 'Greenville Turn' arrives in the afternoon, in the evening a crew works the industries between the GE plant and Mauldin, and arranges the train for the southbound run after dark. From what I have observed, they drop most the train near Cryovac, then run down to Owings switching a handful of industries along the way. Once at Owings they pick up cars from the siding there, and pull them back up to Cryovac in Simpsonville, once again switching industries along the way. The next step is pulling the remainder of the train back towards Owings, and eventually Laurens. Additionally, the northbound local in the afternoon does not switch any industries, aside from those just south of the I-385 overpass.

As you can imagine all the commotion makes the night run hard to predict, if you get here after midnight, just head north sticking close to the tracks and you should run into them at some point. I only watched the operation one night several months ago, but I still hear the train around 1-2am so I doubt they have changed their routine.

FYI, I rode by the GE plant about an hour ago and there are several cars with turbines loaded and ready to go. I suspect they will run the GE special tomorrow, which coincides with the 80+ hot air balloons that will be hovering over Simpsonville tomorrow and over the weekend.

Quote:
Spartanburg seems like it would be nice to live in. You've got the two Class 1s, some interesting scenery, including that tunnel. But you'd also be close to the shortlines you've mentioned, not far for a day trip every now and then to the Hartwell out of Lavonia and in the other direction, the Extension Cord Line in Blacksburg.
I won't argue that, you are also within day trip range to some NC shortlines as well in S'burg.
SCFrankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:40 PM   #27
Alan

I'd like to thank everyone who gave me some great advice. Hopefully with a little hard work and some imagination you guys will be seeing my pictures here soon.........Cheers to all.

Alan
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:48 PM   #28
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I'd like to thank everyone who gave me some great advice. Hopefully with a little hard work and some imagination you guys will be seeing my pictures here soon.........Cheers to all.

Alan
Alan, ignore what Mr. Shihtzu said above. As I posted earlier, and if you haven't already, check out www.railroadfan.com. It's Michigan-based with a LOT of knowledgeable railfans and I'm sure you'll find all the help and info you're looking for.

edit: I see you've joined. Welcome aboard!

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias

Last edited by JimThias; 05-21-2009 at 09:57 PM.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:59 PM   #29
BarrySr

Send a message via Yahoo to BarrySr
Thumbs up

Michigan boring? Guess it's all subjective, but I will tell anyone who listens that when I lived near Traverse City, I used to LIVE for weekends when I would make it a weekend trip to the U.P. to spend absolutely FANTASTIC and soul cleansing times in the beautiful environs in and around Marquette and Eagle Mills with the LS&I. I still remember those many weekends with nothing but good memories.

"I dug 'dem boats when diggin' em wasn't cool"

"Why are the crazy people so enamorate of all things EMD?" [Holloran Grade]

View My Photos on Railpictures.net
BarrySr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:07 PM   #30
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

You do not have to have hills or mountains to take good photo's. A good photo is all about good light and what you do with it, if you can find something to shoot to that is. In setting up a shot you can set a classic 3/4 and work up from there as you figure out what you like to shoot. Get maps or Google Earth to find and plan your shots.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:34 PM   #31
Alan

By the way Jim, that picture of your dog kind of freaks me out.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 03:39 AM   #32
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
By the way Jim, that picture of your dog kind of freaks me out.
I wish it was my dog, then I'd be famous!

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 03:44 AM   #33
JRMDC

The regular eyes on that dog are freaky enough!

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 05:49 AM   #34
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
The regular eyes on that dog are freaky enough!
Maybe more, actually.