Old 12-03-2007, 12:59 AM   #1
rdkuhn

Default Syncronize Locomotives

Many times, you see 2 or more locomotives pulling. How do they synronize the speed between the locomotives so that one isn't going faster than the other. Due to the fact that if one is going faster, this could cause problems like derailing. I would like to know how they syncronize diesel and steam if anyone knows. There are also times when you have two locomotives pulling and two pushing, so you have to control speed.

Last edited by rdkuhn; 12-15-2007 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Wording could be somewhat confusing
rdkuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 05:02 PM   #2
rdkuhn

found a better forum where you can get answers to questions, shame this one isn't as good. GReat pics, just not a good forum.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:35 PM   #3
Ween

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkuhn
found a better forum where you can get answers to questions, shame this one isn't as good. GReat pics, just not a good forum.
Well, I bet if you went to the "OperatingLocomotives.net" forum, you couldn't get specific answers on railroad photography. Your original question wasn't really in the niche of this site/forum...
Old 01-27-2008, 09:11 PM   #4
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkuhn
Why is it a shame? And how is this not a "good forum?" Please explain.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 09:26 PM   #5
Ween

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
And how is this not a "good forum?" Please explain.
Because he asked an operating question on a mostly photography forum and received no answer. Just a guess though...
Old 01-27-2008, 10:07 PM   #6
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
Because he asked an operating question on a mostly photography forum and received no answer. Just a guess though...
Well, you know that, and I know that, but I don't think HE knows that.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 01:21 AM   #7
Peter MacCauley

To answer the question, diesel locomotives use MU (multiple unit) cables that transmit electrical signals to the other locomotives in the consist, so that they are all controlled by one person. Almost all MU-equipped locomotives can run together, except Baldwin's - they use air signal instead of electrical ones. DPU's (distributed power units) work on the principle of radio signals between the 'master' and the slave/slaves. I know this can be a problem in mountainous or tunnel-prone areas, as the signals cannot always be received by the slaves. In the steam days, it was all done by whistle signals between the engineers. It was really the only method they had that could be used over long distances, like from the head end to a set of pushers on the rear. This is a simplified explanation, but hope it helps.
Peter.

See my RP photos at:http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=18537

Last edited by Peter MacCauley; 01-28-2008 at 01:22 AM. Reason: spelling mistkaes
Peter MacCauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 01:26 AM   #8
Peter MacCauley

BTW, what was the other forum? I know Locophotos is usually pretty good, as is Railcar photos if you're interested.

See my RP photos at:http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=18537
Peter MacCauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:10 PM   #9
rdkuhn

THANK YOU PETER, thats what I was looking for. I am new to all this train stuff and wanting to learn. The other website for the other forum is Trains.com, which is an operational website. I did't mean to be rude here, but I reposted my question twice and go no answer. If I should have been else where, then it would have been nice to have been told to do something different.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:42 PM   #10
Ween

Quote:
If I should have been else where, then it would have been nice to have been told to do something different.
When there's no response to a question, you can make the assumption that your answer lies elsewhere...