Old 02-19-2016, 12:46 PM   #1
bigiron

Default Did I miss something....our most viewed thread gone?

Ok, I don't log on yesterday and it seems our most viewed and at times most spirited thread has been taken off. Is that so? With all the threads and opinions cast over the years it seems management finally may have had their fill of "The BEST railroad photos on the net" phrase being challenged or maybe Dave's questionable shots getting on, dunno but speculating. Many threads have brought all thoughts into mind but this one may have struck home.

Does anyone have more information on this?

Thanks, Rich
bigiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 12:53 PM   #2
ShortlinesUSA

The questionable photos were removed overnight, as well.

Shortline and Regional RR forum moderator
ShortlinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 01:55 PM   #3
Noct Foamer

Looks like we have a new "most spirited thread" started here!

Kent in SD
Noct Foamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 02:04 PM   #4
ShortlinesUSA

Might be best to let it ride. It looks like the screener list was updated, as well. Looks like some unfortunate turn of events was involved with those photos.

Shortline and Regional RR forum moderator
ShortlinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 02:23 PM   #5
bigiron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortlinesUSA View Post
Might be best to let it ride. It looks like the screener list was updated, as well. Looks like some unfortunate turn of events was involved with those photos.
You have a good point but in truth the guidelines which all of us contributors try to conform to were thrown out the window with some of those shots and I give credit to management or whomever took them down as it certainly was opening a big "can of worms".
You had so many "rejection" issues being accepted that it was the right thing to do and hopefully some lessons learned in the process.

Amen, Rich
Old 02-19-2016, 03:10 PM   #6
Harry Gaydosz

If the admin had the time to come here and remove the thread you think they would have had a spare moment to leave an explanation of what went on and why the thread was removed. The lack of feedback and questionable screening is what fueled that entire thread to begin with. That thread has been the most active thread in the history of the site..been there for a couple years now. What finally made them take it down? Contributors finding shots by a screener that were so egregious and being called out on it?

I know it's "their site" but, what makes their site? Our photos. I'm sure if we get any response from Starnes or Kilroy it will be the standard "views at record levels" blah blah blah we've seen from them numerous times before.
Harry Gaydosz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 03:27 PM   #7
Decapod401

I doubt that many newbies would do this, but when I came on the site, I read the entire thread. If you could weed through the complaining, inside jokes, and occasional pure venom, there was a lot to be learned about what would make a contributor successful or unsuccessful on the site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noct Foamer View Post
Looks like we have a new "most spirited thread" started here!

Kent in SD
Seven down, ~2800 to go! Let's get to it!

Doug Lilly

Last edited by Decapod401; 02-19-2016 at 04:10 PM.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 04:01 PM   #8
RobJor

Think it is unfortunate, something I looked forward to see. It also was a good post "screening" which demonstrated that some members were looking with a critical eye. It was a little disconcerting to see some poor photos make it to the top.

In terms of the site owners I think it performed a quality control, something that should be welcomed. As they say, "Don't shoot the messenger." It also provided an outlet for some venting. It is better for the site to have an outlet than to have people simply take their ball and go home. I notice some quality people gone just since I started.

On the negative side it was getting a little too personal and some of the posts at the end tho humorous seemed to have little value. Seems a little less radical surgery would have been better.

Bob Jordan
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 05:35 PM   #9
bigiron

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
Think it is unfortunate, something I looked forward to see. It also was a good post "screening" which demonstrated that some members were looking with a critical eye. It was a little disconcerting to see some poor photos make it to the top.

In terms of the site owners I think it performed a quality control, something that should be welcomed. As they say, "Don't shoot the messenger." It also provided an outlet for some venting. It is better for the site to have an outlet than to have people simply take their ball and go home. I notice some quality people gone just since I started.

On the negative side it was getting a little too personal and some of the posts at the end tho humorous seemed to have little value. Seems a little less radical surgery would have been better.

Bob Jordan
Bob, you are right but we all know many discussions have taken place on various threads ( some of which I started) of how the screening process has it's woes and unfortunately this time it escalated too far. The hints were brushed off as I would think some of them were read by the screeners (just normal policing of their site and screening the forum from time to time) or it seemed the message wasn't getting home and we only can think this time it did but we're are in the dark with no further comment.

Yes, it was a thread that wasn't going to die and people did venture to it as it was the top one most of the time and they had the power to kill it . The growing pains of the site and hopefully all comes out as a positive result, but time will only tell on that as some are still waiting for change (improvements) in other aspects.

Time to HIGHBALL to the rails, Rich

Rich
Old 02-19-2016, 05:55 PM   #10
JimThias

Wasn't this one of the photos in question for being blurry that was removed? Did he reprocess it and resubmit today? Looks much better to me.

Image © Dave Blaze...
PhotoID: 566444
Photograph © Dave Blaze...

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias

Last edited by JimThias; 02-19-2016 at 05:58 PM.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 06:17 PM   #11
WMHeilman

Sorry guys, I guess I'll take the blame for this one. I was silent for over five months and I just had to come stir the pot. I must have hurt someones feelings. Boo.
WMHeilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 06:36 PM   #12
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMHeilman View Post
Sorry guys, I guess I'll take the blame for this one. I was silent for over five months and I just had to come stir the pot. I must have hurt someones feelings. Boo.
EYE MS JOOO!

This used to be a cool place to hang out. Now I couldn't really care less if I'm here or not.

You can tell by my upload amount too.

Loyd L.

American Rails dot com - A fantastic website with tons of information and photographs related to American railroads and locomotives.
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 07:17 PM   #13
bigiron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Wasn't this one of the photos in question for being blurry that was removed? Did he reprocess it and resubmit today? Looks much better to me.

Image © Dave Blaze...
PhotoID: 566444
Photograph © Dave Blaze...
Jim, yes and yes. He must have reprocessed it as look at how many "views". Now, that is a move in the positive direction fixing the photo and bringing up to "standards". Now everyone that looked at the photo the first time please view it again so he can get the views back! I sometimes think some of the shots we brought to the forefront from several people had views just from a curiosity standpoint when seeing the thumbnail and saying WTF and had to open the picture to view it more closely. That even stands true for some we don't talk about but just their ODD look brings attention and thus views whether it be top quality or not.

On a side note, you had a comment about a picture in the queue most of the day on that thread and I gather they must have finally got to it?

Rich

Last edited by bigiron; 02-19-2016 at 07:23 PM.
Old 02-19-2016, 07:37 PM   #14
bigiron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
EYE MS JOOO!

This used to be a cool place to hang out. Now I couldn't really care less if I'm here or not.

You can tell by my upload amount too.

Loyd L.
Loyd, certainly a negative trend that has grown over time and it's too bad for all involved. I myself wonder if some of the very talented photogs with that 'EYE that no longer frequent this site moved on due to outside forces that life may bring or to the disgust of all the BS in experiences on this site. I even sparred with one of the greats IMO on a thread I started back in the day just because he was pushing the envelope at the time and I respected that and just questioned the "SCREENERS" view in the acceptance of the shot. You can't stay stagnant and expect to grow but within reason of the guidelines.

You are not going to please all but some of the best are gone for whatever reason and I know they still love trains so it's a shame they felt compelled to leave as their work was a treat to look at. Yes, others have filled in over time but some you just can't replace.

Rich
Old 02-19-2016, 07:42 PM   #15
wds

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigiron View Post
Jim, yes and yes. He must have reprocessed it as look at how many "views". Now, that is a move in the positive direction fixing the photo and bringing up to "standards". Now everyone that looked at the photo the first time please view it again so he can get the views back!
Odd that he didn't use the "Re-Submit" function to preserve the view count.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	211.5 KB
ID:	9086
Old 02-19-2016, 08:13 PM   #16
Decapod401

Quote:
Originally Posted by wds View Post
Odd that he didn't use the "Re-Submit" function to preserve the view count.

Attachment 9086
That only works if the photo is still on the site. The presumption is that the original submittals were deleted.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 09:18 PM   #17
KevinM

Since the photographer in question is also a member of site staff, the best way to handle this would have been to simply ask him for re-edits on the images where an edit would have fixed the problem. That way, the view-counts, favorites and comments would have been preserved. I resubmit shots all the time as I figure out how to edit. I just wish I had the time to re-edit all of the images I would like to re-edit.

WRT the thread itself, I guess I won't miss it. I think that a constructive criticism thread would be an awesome thing, but I can't say I'd describe the now-dead "Best Photos" thread as anything approaching constructive. When a post starts with Whiskey Tango Fox, it usually just goes downhill from there.

My stuff is here.

Yeah, I do Flickr too. Tons of non-RP stuff there.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 10:08 PM   #18
Insert_Name_Here

Last edited by Insert_Name_Here; 02-19-2016 at 10:24 PM.
Insert_Name_Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:56 PM   #19
bigiron

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post

WRT the thread itself, I guess I won't miss it. I think that a constructive criticism thread would be an awesome thing, but I can't say I'd describe the now-dead "Best Photos" thread as anything approaching constructive. When a post starts with Whiskey Tango Fox, it usually just goes downhill from there.
Kevin, too funny and you bring up a point I've been pondering and that is how exactly did the first post start off with in terms of what it said? Never paid too much attention to the early posts but now that they are gone I wonder and thanks for anyone who can chime in on the information. Funny how most of the threads that have legs seem to tangent off into wasteland but this one had staying power.

Rich
Old 02-20-2016, 03:12 AM   #20
troy12n

They also did not accept my comment on one of the photos in question, lol!
Old 02-22-2016, 07:26 PM   #21
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigiron View Post
On a side note, you had a comment about a picture in the queue most of the day on that thread and I gather they must have finally got to it?

Rich
Yes. The trend lately seems to be late afternoon/early evening screening for everything that has been submitted for the day. I've been submitting regularly between 7-8am lately and my photos haven't been screened until 8-10 hours later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Since the photographer in question is also a member of site staff...
His name was removed from the screener's list around the time the big thread was nuked and his photos removed.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:20 PM   #22
Andrew Crosby

Just my 2 cents as an occasional RP visitor / contributor: I've always liked that the forum regulars comment on screening consistency and related matters, and a thread that focuses on such issues was and is a good idea.

But I found most of the content in that deleted thread comparable to what Kevin M and Decapod essentially describe earlier here - not constructive and containing inside jokes and disparaging comments to the degree that any valuable observations and comments were buried or nullified.

To me it was an unwelcoming thread that turned me away from RP at times. You're all better than that, and you're at your best when you show it.
Andrew Crosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 11:57 PM   #23
bigbassloyd

I'm not. There's alot of crappy photos out there. I'm doing my best to protect you all from mine, but there is a lot of people who lack the restraint I have.

Loyd L.

American Rails dot com - A fantastic website with tons of information and photographs related to American railroads and locomotives.
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 04:05 AM   #24
Noct Foamer

Quote:
His name was removed from the screener's list around the time the big thread was nuked and his photos removed.

Holy shitcanned, Batman! You guys' whining actually got someone fired? Now the big question is: can a volunteer collect unemployment?

Kent in SD

Last edited by Noct Foamer; 02-23-2016 at 04:07 AM.
Old 02-23-2016, 04:13 AM   #25
Noct Foamer

Quote:

And another thought. The SCREENER is gone, and Baggy Dave remains? Oh, the irony............

Kent in SD