Old 08-07-2008, 05:54 AM   #151
DelmonteX

I don't think we should let Ben's outburst nor his attempt at comparison diminish most of the content of this thread (Ben: Thread not Forum).

About the time Ben started the thread, it was gnawing at me to do the same. He has a valid point, this site is about Railroad photography, the two photos at the heart of this discussion are at least arguably not about Railroad photography.

I wonder what the next step is? Will a starlit night shot of a hill with the train around the corner, no rails visible and only the distant glow of the headlights from behind a hill qualify?

At some point it's no longer a Railroad photo right? I hope these two shots are as far as it goes.

My Railpictures.net photos

My other photos
DelmonteX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 06:17 AM   #152
Walter S

Send a message via AIM to Walter S

Well technically there are a bunch of trains in this shot. Suprised nobody has uploaded.

[IMG]Earth from the Space[/IMG]
Walter S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 06:21 AM   #153
DelmonteX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter S
Well technically there are a bunch of trains in this shot. Suprised nobody has uploaded.

Nice shot! Where exactly did you stand to get it?

My Railpictures.net photos

My other photos
DelmonteX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 06:23 AM   #154
Walter S

Send a message via AIM to Walter S

You know they are making these ladders taller and taller these days. Home Depot sales them but they are pricey. Ladder removed using photoshop clone tool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelmonteX
Nice shot! Where exactly did you stand to get it?
Walter S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 06:29 AM   #155
Watain
-_-

Send a message via MSN to Watain

Quote:
You know they are making these ladders taller and taller these days. Home Depot sales them but they are pricey. Ladder removed using photoshop clone tool.
Thats about the funniest thing Ive read on here in a while.
Watain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 12:33 PM   #156
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:

Another beautiful Euro/Asian shot that will get like zero views... You needed to wait for the planet to rotate to North America if you wanted views.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 12:41 PM   #157
River Rails Photography
Banned

Send a message via AIM to River Rails Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Kopicz
As Many have said. The forum is for the critisism. I along with others have the f-ing right to do so. But comments like River Rail said is just a waste of everyones time.

Every single post doesn't have to be criticism. Anyway, who ever designated the forums ONLY for criticism? I had thought you said that if it is a railroad forum, make it about the railroad, and now it's criticism? It probably takes 5 seconds to read my post, and people who don't want to waste time, I think they could divert their attention to immature posts whining about your rejections, because, in your perfect world, every picture gets accepted, albeit it's many flaws. Just my two cents .
River Rails Photography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 12:55 PM   #158
Wizzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks
Another beautiful Euro/Asian shot that will get like zero views... You needed to wait for the planet to rotate to North America if you wanted views.
Absolutely PMWL

Thats made my day.

Press here to see my pics on railpictures.net

More pics here D1059 on Flickr
Wizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 11:09 PM   #159
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssw9662
Sorry, I'm late here, but I'll toss in my opinion.

First, I am going to have to agree with Mike here ( ). Photography can be challenging and certainly frustrating, but comparing it to making movies or music is simply comparing apples to oranges. While some of us may be limited financially or geographically, the bottom line is that anyone with a camera can take a picture - it just takes a lot of talent to produce a photo that can be regarded as an excellent one. We are all photographers here with one common goal, and that is to take good railroad photos. I doubt that most music and movie critics have their own studios.
Did you see the rest of my list? It wasn't itended to be a direct comparison, but a simple analogy to show how ABSURD it is for people to claim you have to be good at something in order for your opinion to matter.

An opinion on a photograph is NO different from an opinion on anything else in life. It's as simple as that.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 04:03 AM   #160
JBCagle7073
Alpha Phi Psi

Send a message via AIM to JBCagle7073

I agree with the idea that you don't have to be a butcher to know a good t-bone. And then there's what Tommy Boy had to say about that idea.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:42 PM   #161
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCagle7073
I agree with the idea that you don't have to be a butcher to know a good t-bone. And then there's what Tommy Boy had to say about that idea.

And I'm sure if he were still alive he'd agree, too.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 03:05 AM   #162
Ben Kopicz
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Ben Kopicz Send a message via MSN to Ben Kopicz Send a message via Yahoo to Ben Kopicz
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kilroy
I'm letting this go for now, because it's an interesting discussion, but please don't let it get out of hand.

Ben: Language like that is not appropriate for a public forum. Consider this a warning. One more outburst like that and you'll be gone for a long, long time.
Sorry Chris, and sorry to all who i offended with the language.
Ben Kopicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 03:30 AM   #163
Ben Kopicz
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Ben Kopicz Send a message via MSN to Ben Kopicz Send a message via Yahoo to Ben Kopicz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Kopicz
Sorry Chris, and sorry to all who i offended with the language.
Ok, first sorry about my double post.

Now, To say the "other" picture that everyone is refering to, i will not complain about. In this picture one of the first things that catch my eye are the railroad rails. One the picture that this forum is about, the only thing that caught my eye until someone told me in this forum where the train was, was the fog. Unless i can not see how it is related to railroads one bit, i will put my 2 cents in, but at this point i am putting my life savings into this forum.

Now i am going to reword what i said before becuase my words are turning into something that it is not. What i meant by this website is for critisism is that people will critise you here. Everyone! I have been critizized in this forum what seems to be a million times!(more like 20 or so) but i think everyone expects it at some point. If there is ONE PERSON in this forum that has not had anything of theirs EVER not even limiting it to photography critized, speak up. The railpictures.net forums, like it says at the top of this window, is for RAIL related topics and comments that are not in there should not be allowed.

Just so you know, i am backing up everything i was said about in this ONE post.

Again, if my swearing offended anybody i am extreamly sorry, i did go back and fix it. If there are anymore of my posts with swear words in it quote it and i will fix it for you

And for the record, the earth thing is funny as heck. I think it should be accepted. Did anyone just being a smart-crack submit that just to see what happens?

Watain: i think it is my camera. It was kinda cheap. I need a better paying job before i go out and buy a really good one. Anyone have any suggestions on a really good camera, tell my type and where to buy it.

Well this should keep people busy for a while to critized me more so i will go and let this forum grow and grow.

Bye For Now
Ben Kopicz is offline   Reply With Quote