Old 07-31-2008, 03:21 AM   #1
Ben Kopicz
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Ben Kopicz Send a message via MSN to Ben Kopicz Send a message via Yahoo to Ben Kopicz
Default I am being a steam engine

This is somewhat letting off some steam. Now I have been trying to get pictures of trains on for about 2 years now. I had close ups and far away pictures. None which have been accepted. Now i was going through pictures that were added recently and this one was on

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=244623&nseq=0

Where the hell is the train in this picture. If they are going to add this one to the database, then why not take a picture of the disney castle at the begining of the movie (newer ones) because a train is going though the back of it.

Now i am not saying my pictures are really railpictures.net quality, but this is horrible that this made it and some of my others, did not which are better then this one.

Thank You for your time of reading this. I feel much better.
Ben Kopicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 03:33 AM   #2
JimThias

JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 03:36 AM   #3
F40PH271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Kopicz
I feel much better.

Good for you. Keep on truckin'.
F40PH271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 03:46 AM   #4
Ben Kopicz
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Ben Kopicz Send a message via MSN to Ben Kopicz Send a message via Yahoo to Ben Kopicz

Quote:
Originally Posted by F40PH271
Good for you. Keep on truckin'.
(sarcastically) LOL

I just do not see how i work my ass off to try and get a really great photo which is denied and he takes a picture of lights in fog and gets it accepted.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:01 AM   #5
F40PH271

Taking a picture of "lights in fog" actually takes some skill. The sky and clouds are awesome, and you can make out that it is a train below. When I saw the thumbnail for the shot my first reply was "What the..." However, upon opening, it is a cool, interesting shot.

Purple NS dash-9's that are front coupled and GP38-3's behind a fence, well, aren't.

Advice: Stand on the same side of the tracks that the sun is on, and stand at a 3/4 angle to the tracks. Wait for the engine to fill the frame, and take the picture. Make sure things like fences and poles aren't in the way.

After 2 years of looking at the website, you would think one could process and understand what kind of material is up to par and what isn't.
F40PH271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 04:09 AM   #6
JBCagle7073
Alpha Phi Psi

Send a message via AIM to JBCagle7073

Be careful when critiquing other's work, because they just might critique yours. How about showing us some of your stuff that is better but is rejected?
Old 07-31-2008, 04:10 AM   #7
ccaranna

Quote:
Advice: Stand on the same side of the tracks that the sun is on, and stand at a 3/4 angle to the tracks. Wait for the engine to fill the frame, and take the picture. Make sure things like fences and poles aren't in the way.

After 2 years of looking at the website, you would think one could process and understand what kind of material is up to par and what isn't.
Good point, good point.

Of course, you just alienated 95% of the RP.net contributors and viewership. In the meantime, the rest of us hacks will continue to claw and scrape away, while getting anything BUT a shot like that on here (IF we're lucky).

I can tell you right now, if somewhere around 97% of us had uploaded that, it would have been rejected and not accepted on appeal. PERIOD.

Welcome to the wonderful world of super-elitism.

No thanks.
ccaranna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 04:13 AM   #8
PLEzero

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias

Ben, I'm not sure what you are looking for here. By picking that photo out you seem to be looking for trouble. If I recall some of you pictures correctly they just aren't up to par with the standards here. Normally I would ask to see some of the pictures you have taken that have been rejected but I feel like that would be pointless at this point.
My RP.net Photos
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 04:28 AM   #9
Watain
-_-

Send a message via MSN to Watain

To me I struggle to see a train in that shot, the sky is interesting is all that I personally like in that photo. Although I would not call out the photographer, for his other work. Basically just ask yourself ''why did his get in and mine did not?'' I could go on and on about shots I dont like on here its all in the eyes of the beholder. For me just browsing through some of his shots that is the only one I personally don't like. Everyone has different opinions, what looks good to some looks like crap to others I guess thats how the cookie crumbles so to speak. Obviously if you have been trying for 2 years with no results there is something wrong its either you or your camera. For me it was a camera and lighting, I have submitted here for 6 months didnt get one in until April and now I stand at 16 shots in the DB.

I dont like this shot from a photog in my area. Looks too dark and underexposed to me. Does that mean I am going to call him out and tell him he's lousy at what he does? No.

Image © Ron Flanary
PhotoID: 244305
Photograph © Ron Flanary

He has several other shots in the DB that I like rather well.

Image © Ron Flanary
PhotoID: 242320
Photograph © Ron Flanary

Image © Ron Flanary
PhotoID: 241270
Photograph © Ron Flanary

Image © Ron Flanary
PhotoID: 241365
Photograph © Ron Flanary

Image © Ron Flanary
PhotoID: 231229
Photograph © Ron Flanary

Like I said its all in the eyes of the beholder, why go on about why you cant get a shot accepted and ask yourself why they are not being accepted? and work on it from there.

Last edited by Watain; 07-31-2008 at 04:31 AM.
Watain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 05:16 AM   #10
Ben Kopicz
Banned

To make it clear, I am not putting down all his photos, Actually, most of his photos are pretty damn good. But, It is only this picture that pisses me off. I along with several others in this forum do not see the train.

Again as i said before, I admit that my pictures are really not that good, but i feel that this picture was accepted based on the taker not the quality of it. My pictures suck and i admit it now. That is why i really do not upload anymore. I have not just until Monday and it was one picture. Of course it was denied because "it was not what they wish to publish" but i am not complaining about it. I was not hopping to get that one in, but i must say it you could actually see what i was taking a picture of in it. Here you really can not see what he is taking a picture of.

If the taker is reading this, please, i am only ditsing this picture and this one alone. Your others are really really good... But... you know what. I am done with this. I know i am not going to do anything but piss more and more people off...

Thank You all for your time.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:21 AM   #11
PLEzero

So if you aren't 'ditsing' his photo and you aren't complaining that your pictures do not get accepted, then what exactly is the point of this thread? I'm thinking its best you just stay quiet before this thread and your account end up locked like the many before you.
My RP.net Photos
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 05:31 AM   #12
alstom
Banned

Ben, a week or two ago, I upset some people too. It happens, just ignore this thread and let it drain away. I am not a huge fan of the photo in question. It does take some effort to spot the train (the three lights in the middle-bottom of the photo), but all in all, I enjoy the photo. Very unique colors in the clouds and sky. I understand your point of view, but it would be best to keep this to yourself, as your negative commentary about the photo will only upset those here.

I somewhat remember a couple of your photos. If I recall, you had a photo of a NS Geep unit and a NS Dash 9. Both were roster shots, in bad lighting with obstructing objects. And as Paul said, I believe one, if not both, were miscolored due to magenta problems. Try keeping the sun to your back, try to compose the photo with railcars behind the locomotives. If it is wedgie shots that you need to take to get started, by all means, do so.

It takes trial and error to get photos on here. I get a little bit frustrated at times, maybe curse the screeners under my breath or such, when I find a rejection unreasonably ridiculous. At times, like a couple weeks ago, I may even display my anger on the forums. But all in all, I do accept (or try to accept) the constructive criticism provided here. Forum members say I need a new camera, and while I wasn't happy to hear that a couple weeks ago, I don't mind now, and agree myself. Try to move along, and improve your work. You may not always be able to do so if your camera is not very great, or your editing software has alot to be desired.

After two years of work, I only have 36 photos on this website. I do wish I had more, but I do not, or try not to complain. Look at photos on this website, and try to produce photos of your own that are of equivalent quality. I am not trying to say that they have to be perfect on the first try, but work your way towards them, and make a step up. Like Wayne (Watain), who I remember getting his first photo accepted a few months ago, you will make progress. It is that first photo that seems to take a while to get on. You will enjoy the challenge after a while!

Also, do not "call out" a photographer's image on this forum, it will upset many of the members. It takes work to produce an image like that, and while I displayed my opinions of the photo above, I still respect the time and effort it took him to go out and get that photo. Now, you get trackside and do your best!
alstom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 05:37 AM   #13
Watain
-_-

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstom
If it is wedgie shots that you need to take to get started, by all means, do so.
I actually disagree, my first accepted photo was not a wedgie. I found that not only is it more interesting but also, I like head on nose lit shots better than wide angles depending on the scenery. For some reason I also found them easier to take rather than wedgies especially in tight situations. Again as I have said before, always in the eye of the beholder.

Image © Wayne Stumbo
PhotoID: 231095
Photograph © Wayne Stumbo

Last edited by Watain; 07-31-2008 at 05:44 AM.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:44 AM   #14
alstom
Banned

Wayne, I was not saying your first photo was a Wedgie shot, I was saying that if that is what he needs to take to get started, by all means, go ahead. I was discussing your first accepted photo on a separate issue.
alstom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 05:53 AM   #15
Watain
-_-

Quote:
Wayne, I was not saying your first photo was a Wedgie shot, I was saying that if that is what he needs to take to get started, by all means, go ahead. I was discussing your first accepted photo on a separate issue.
Oh I know what you were saying, I just dont see the point in having to start out with a wedgie style composition. Depending on what one finds easier of course. This was also going back to Paul's post as well. I was just saying as one who was starting out I found head on shots easier to take, then I discovered I liked the look a lot more then wedgie or roster angles.

Last edited by Watain; 07-31-2008 at 06:01 AM.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:09 AM   #16
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

Quote:
Ben, a week or two ago, I upset some people too.
I was having a bad night too, and it gave me a good place to vent

I don't understand why this photo is in the database, or why it was accepted without being a screener's choice. It's amazing, but it took me a LONG time to find those 3 tiny pixels of light that betrayed the location of the train.
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 06:16 AM   #17
ottergoose
American Gunzel

Send a message via AIM to ottergoose Send a message via Yahoo to ottergoose

You were upset about this shot? What about me?

Look again at this piece of crap shot from Alex "I'm better than you" Ramos:

Image © Alex Ramos
PhotoID: 244623
Photograph © Alex Ramos

Do your best not to click on this heap of steaming vomit from John "I eat my soup from the can" Ryan:

Image © John Ryan
PhotoID: 244665
Photograph © John Ryan

If those two shots hadn't been uploaded today, my shot of 10 EMD standard cabs would have been the top photo of yesterday, and I'd be basking in front page glory right now. Instead all I can do is sit around here and bitch and moan - it's not because my shot wasn't better than theirs, it's because the screeners had the balls to accept those two shots in the first place. Now I'm so enraged I lack even enough concentration to post a link to my shot!!

Just had to vent... nothing more to see here... move along.

Last edited by ottergoose; 07-31-2008 at 06:22 AM.
ottergoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 07:10 AM   #18
Christopher Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottergoose
If those two shots hadn't been uploaded today, my shot of 10 EMD standard cabs would have been the top photo of yesterday, and I'd be basking in front page glory right now. Instead all I can do is sit around here and bitch and moan - it's not because my shot wasn't better than theirs, it's because the screeners had the balls to accept those two shots in the first place. Now I'm so enraged I lack even enough concentration to post a link to my shot!!
I was so moved I actually gave you a PCA vote...
Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

On another note... I think it would have been more appropriate to contrast something to the photo you are complaining about being accepted. Lets see the similar photo that was rejected.
Christopher Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:34 AM   #19
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

It's not about getting a lot of pics on here but getting good to great photo's on here , about showing your best. Ben its time to figure out what's not right about your shots and not bitch, about a great shot. What's different about your shots and his, he thinks of a shot, plans it out, finds a spot that works and knows how to make it turn out. You walk up snap a shot and think its good! popcorn or beer?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/

Last edited by milwman; 07-31-2008 at 09:47 AM.
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 01:16 PM   #20
JRMDC

I have no problem with the discussion in this thread. In fact, I've never understood why bringing up a shot and talking about, even negatively, it is "calling out" a photographer. And in this case the discussion really goes to what should RP accept and what should it not accept, and what is a train shot and what is not, and it seems to me that is usually a worthy discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccaranna
I can tell you right now, if somewhere around 97% of us had uploaded that, it would have been rejected and not accepted on appeal. PERIOD.

Welcome to the wonderful world of super-elitism.

No thanks.
The only objection I have about the entire thread is to the above comments by Chuck. Chuck, unless you have some evidence to back up you accusation of bias and favoritism, I think you should apologize.

Have you uploaded similar shots and had them rejected? Do you know of others who have? Show those shots here, let's see them!

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 01:45 PM   #21
Darryl Rule

I too don't quite get the shot in question as a train shot, as I stated in my comment on the picture, but overall it is a very impressive picture. It seems that in the past month or so, RP has started accepting these "Barely a train in the picture, just overall scenery" type shots, so if you are going to submit pictures, you either need to adjust your shots to what RP is accepting at that time. Or as a viewer, don't click on the thumbnails if those shots don't interest you.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:46 PM   #22
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by F40PH271
Taking a picture of "lights in fog" actually takes some skill.
I agree. And that shot would be a perfect fit on foggyskypictures.net. I still can't see the train. I'm all for artistic shots. I wish I had more of a chance to do them. I think the Pittsburg shots were pushing the line, but were still RP enough for me to get into them. While this one is a fine shot and Alex is obviously a great and well known shooter, this is not a train picture. It's a weather picture.

Just my opinion.

Joe
Old 07-31-2008, 02:55 PM   #23
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLEzero
So if you aren't 'ditsing' his photo and you aren't complaining that your pictures do not get accepted, then what exactly is the point of this thread? I'm thinking its best you just stay quiet before this thread and your account end up locked like the many before you.
That's poppycock. He hasn't done a thing to get himself kicked. More than a few folks cll out photos/photographers in these forums and then take the heat for doing so. I for one agree with him about this picture. In fact, some ofthe comments that were screened by the screeners and could be delted by Alex under the actual photo question whether it should be on this site.

My one problem with Ben's post is that he called out the photo and then compared it to his rejected shots which he did not link to. Ben, you could have called out the shot on it's merit alone without mentioning your shots. Though I understand how frustrating it is to get rejected. I submitted five shots last Thursday and all five were canned. (One got reworked and was accepted and the other got appealed and accepted.)

I suppose my other problem with this thread is that it was said it was only accepted because of the name under it. That's an odd version of class warfare. I'd like to think this does not happen. Maybe it does. But you should question the shot itself, not the motives on why it was accepted which can never be proven anyway.

Joe
Old 07-31-2008, 03:06 PM   #24
Wizzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog
I agree. And that shot would be a perfect fit on foggyskypictures.net. I still can't see the train. I'm all for artistic shots. I wish I had more of a chance to do them. I think the Pittsburg shots were pushing the line, but were still RP enough for me to get into them. While this one is a fine shot and Alex is obviously a great and well known shooter, this is not a train picture. It's a weather picture.

Just my opinion.

Joe

Joe - I absolutely agree with you. Alex's shot is great. It has a surreal quality that I love - it almost looks like a double exposure, but my first thought when I saw it was................where's the train ?

Press here to see my pics on railpictures.net

More pics here D1059 on Flickr
Wizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 03:28 PM   #25
Ween

When I first saw Alex's shot in the DB, my first thought was, "Where's my bookie...I need to put money on when this will pop up in the forums and someone will be b*tching about it." My second thought was, "I bet Chuck's going to chime in and say how he's being put down by the man and isn't part of the so-called "Elite" club and how he's depressed about it." C'mon, Chuck, stop playing the victim, don't compare yourself to others, run your own race, and enjoy the hobby for what it is.

I'm not a fan of the shot, and IMO, it's shots like this that cause so much controversy from the anti-RP crowd because they'll always point to shots like this and there's no real recourse except to say "their site, their rules." For the pro-RP crowd, seeing a shot at the end of the bell curve makes it hard to defend the screening standards or the shot in question...