Old 12-28-2010, 01:03 AM   #51
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
You are saying Jim has inserted snow into his shots? Someone else? Any reason not to name names?

(It isn't me, I have no falling snow in my shots )
Hell no...the only snow in my shots is 100% real.

Image © Jim Thias
PhotoID: 222064
Photograph © Jim Thias

See, what those with the fake snow have failed to realize is that with snow falling that hard as depicted in their photos, the train in the distance is going to look hazy/whited out from the snow. That is the DEPTH I was talking about earlier.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias

Last edited by JimThias; 12-28-2010 at 01:05 AM.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:07 AM   #52
troy12n
Banned

Dont eat the yellow snow
Old 12-28-2010, 02:31 AM   #53
Ween

Fake snow? Really? I'd whip out the Ban Hammer...for being dumb.

Last edited by Ween; 12-28-2010 at 02:37 AM.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:54 AM   #54
AntD.

It seems like our 7th, 8th, or whatever grade 'Advanced English' student in question keeps beating around the bush about what he's been found guilty of...

Hell, I might REALLY need to go get Photoshop if this IS the case!

At least I can say that I don't have to 'fake' my way past things!

Image © Anthony Davis
PhotoID: 349576
Photograph © Anthony Davis
Old 12-28-2010, 03:09 AM   #55
Joe the Photog

Yeah, but a really gifted photoshop faker would put in fake snow AND a faux pan. From above. On a bridge. With an over/under.

In hindsight, the "snow" shot seems worthy of.... I don't know, maybe a CSX calendar.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:22 AM   #56
mw25

I'm primarily a lurker here, but I just wanted to express how absolutely idiotic this whole thing is by pointing out that weather and radar records can be easily obtained to verify the accuracy of photos. What's more, Sturtevant is a particularly bad place to fake weather since there are four airports within a 20 mile radius with automated weather sensors. None of them show snow falling during the times shown in the EXIF data of the photos taken on December 26:

Burlington
Milwaukee
Kenosha
Racine*

* I'd treat the Racine observations with caution since the station is reporting that it needs maintenance work.

For me, the worst part about all of this is that I will probably view snow shots with more skepticism in the future. I shouldn't have to look up weather observations to make sure what I'm seeing is real.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:28 AM   #57
rathman11

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
I love how Daniel just keeps posting after being busted for violating one of RP's biggest rules several times.
I am with Max on this one. Why are Daniel's photos still on the website? Admin needs to handle this immediately. Digitally manipulated photos are not accepted and without the manipulations these photos would have been rejected for cloudy/common purposes. It makes it unfair to other photographers who are honest about their work.

My RP photos

Flickr Photos
Old 12-28-2010, 06:49 AM   #58
coborn35

Replace the piano bit with "hey you take great snow pictures" and voila!

I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
Old 12-28-2010, 11:28 AM   #59
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP9604 View Post
Alright, well I'll admit that the snow is fake.... I added it so it would get a cloudy/common reject. I heard that if snow isnt falling, it wont get in unless its sunny or good power. It looks nice and white on my monitor though (so somethings wrong with either my eyesight or my monitor...and its not my eyesight!) So, I guess I will have to use better looking fake snow or something....
Glad to see you're humored by your stupidity.. Wouldn't be surprised if the photos from both you and Daniel are removed in addition to the banhammer.. Never even heard of such an act tried on RP.. I know of the snow filters (or more or less, playing with the graphics of PS), but never seen it appear on RP until now.. Certainly doesn't look real.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
I love how Daniel just keeps posting after being busted for violating one of RP's biggest rules several times.
I'm glad you said it! I was wondering the exact same thing.. The snow looks horribly fake, not to mention really awkward with the dark sky..

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Old 12-28-2010, 04:07 PM   #60
Greg P

Send a message via AIM to Greg P

Now we are going to have to submit weather reports for snow pictures

And we are supposed to get 2 feet of snow in Flagstaff tomorrow.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:16 PM   #61
IHapsias

Why even do something as stupid as that? I don't get it. You digitally manipulated multiple photos, just to get them on a website?

Old 12-28-2010, 10:54 PM   #62
cblaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mw25 View Post
I'm primarily a lurker here, but I just wanted to express how absolutely idiotic this whole thing is by pointing out that weather and radar records can be easily obtained to verify the accuracy of photos. What's more, Sturtevant is a particularly bad place to fake weather since there are four airports within a 20 mile radius with automated weather sensors. None of them show snow falling during the times shown in the EXIF data of the photos taken on December 26:

Burlington
Milwaukee
Kenosha
Racine*

* I'd treat the Racine observations with caution since the station is reporting that it needs maintenance work.

For me, the worst part about all of this is that I will probably view snow shots with more skepticism in the future. I shouldn't have to look up weather observations to make sure what I'm seeing is real.
This is my new favorite forum post of all time. I love when someone goes through the trouble of fact-finding to prove someone else wrong. Thanks for this, Mitch.

Hopefully, the admins see this thread soon so both the site and the forums will be rid of a few headaches.

- Chris
Old 12-29-2010, 12:59 AM   #63
crazytiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblaz View Post
Hopefully, the admins see this thread soon so both the site and the forums will be rid of a few headaches.

- Chris
Seriously, Chris. No crap.

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Friend
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."
Old 12-29-2010, 03:12 AM   #64
WisconsinCentral

I have missed alot of laughs by not stopping by the forums lately. I promise to return everyday multiple times. This is priceless.

Alec(Are Train-Sim shots acceptable now? I understand it must be sunny on marias pass, or at the very least a combination of fake snow and SD60's, but I can deal with such guidelines.)
Old 12-29-2010, 03:16 AM   #65
Ween

Quote:
Originally Posted by mw25 View Post
None of them show snow falling during the times shown in the EXIF data of the photos taken on December 26:

Burlington
Milwaukee
Kenosha
Racine*

I applaud Mitch as well because that weather history is MONEY! Just the other day I was looking for the weather history at KCOS after a USAF B-1 pilot crashed (in his Mooney) killing himself and his wife in some beyond-terrible weather. Weather Tap wasn't cutting it, so thanks for the link, Mitch!

As for Daniel and Sean...I'm surprised there wasn't any sort of, "Hey, sorry everyone...we royally screwed up." But I guess that's the culture these days...get caught cheating and act like nothing happened. Sad...
Old 12-29-2010, 03:29 AM   #66
AntD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween View Post
As for Daniel and Sean...I'm surprised there wasn't any sort of, "Hey, sorry everyone...we royally screwed up." But I guess that's the culture these days...get caught cheating and act like nothing happened. Sad...
What else would you expect...Gotta remember the whole Daniel getting his feelings hurt on the forums incident that resulted in his MOTHER emailing a few of the posters on here... Immaurity at it's best

Maybe someone should E-mail their mothers and tattle tale on this discovery...

As my great, Junior Year World History teacher used to say...

"Once a cheater, always a cheater...You cheat on your test (well in this case, photo), You'll cheat on your taxes, You'll cheat on your wife, and you'll end up cheating yourself!"

Adios Amigos!
Auf Wiedersehen!
Goodbye You Two!
Old 12-29-2010, 03:41 AM   #67
Freericks
Met Fan

You know what... some kids screwed up... those of you who are adults don't need to keep calling them out in public.

Maybe this is just because I'm a father... but seriously... what's the point? Do it in private.

Which one of you didn't do something dumb as a teenager? That person go ahead and continue to pound away.

(Don't get me wrong - There should be consequences to the actions - but this piling on in public really bothers me.)

Last edited by Freericks; 12-29-2010 at 03:43 AM.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:41 AM   #68
cblaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween View Post
It's called the Bill Belichick defense...

- Chris
Old 12-29-2010, 03:49 AM   #69
Ween

Quiet, Charles. There wouldn't be any piling on had there been some sort of public remorse expressed to everyone that was duped. But if you're okay with:

a) Being lied to
b) Being thought of as dumb (the assumption was that you're too dumb to know they faked their shots)
c) Etc.

Then fine. But not me.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:54 AM   #70
Freericks
Met Fan

Sorry Chris... I see it differently...

Should they have faked the snow? Of course not... it was a really cynical and ugly thing to do (EDIT - and they deserve to be punished by the site for it.)

Should they have come clean immediately and apologized... yes, absolutely, we agree about this.

Are they young kids who are now watching themselves being tarred and feathered on a public forum? You bet'cha.

Is that a moral and ethical thing for an adult to do? I'll leave that up to you. (Seems you may have answered that question yourself when the Rat was coming after Chase...)

Last edited by Freericks; 12-29-2010 at 04:07 AM.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:56 AM   #71
JimThias

What this country needs is a little more tar and feathers, and a little less wussification.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
Old 12-29-2010, 04:13 AM   #72
IHapsias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
You know what... some kids screwed up... those of you who are adults don't need to keep calling them out in public.

Maybe this is just because I'm a father... but seriously... what's the point? Do it in private.

Which one of you didn't do something dumb as a teenager? That person go ahead and continue to pound away.

(Don't get me wrong - There should be consequences to the actions - but this piling on in public really bothers me.)
I agree with Charles here, I understand completely what they did was wrong, and they didn't take apology of it. But some of you are adults, and as teenagers ( myself being one ) we all will do something dumb sometime during this stage of our lifes. But you can't hold that one mistake against them. Instead of targeting them and publicly scolding them, leave it to the admins.

Quote:
Sorry Chris... I see it differently...

Should they have faked the snow? Of course not... it was a really cynical and ugly thing to do (EDIT - and they deserve to be punished by the site for it.)

Should they have come clean immediately and apologized... yes, absolutely, we agree about this.

Are they young kids who are now watching themselves being tarred and feathered on a public forum? You bet'cha.

Is that a moral and ethical thing for an adult to do? I'll leave that up to you. (Seems you may have answered that question yourself when the Rat was coming after Chase...)
I'll agree again. Adults are here to set examples, not bash or demoralize others. But maybe its best for me to just keep my mouth quiet before I end up being the center point of this blitzkrieg.

Last edited by IHapsias; 12-29-2010 at 04:15 AM.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:20 AM   #73
coborn35

Quote:

Maybe its because I grew up around a business that was predominately old railroaders, but ever since I started when was 13, if I f***ed up, I would get my ass reamed and everyone would hear about it. Yeah, it stung, but I never made that same mistake again, thats for damn sure! I learned that instead of trying to cover up something, or trying to ignore it, instead its better to ask for help when I was in over my head, or to just come clean and admit I f***ed up. I think society coddles kids/people too much these days. Sometimes people need someone to shout at them, to take them out of their element, to make a spectacle, before they will really learn. Everyone needs to take their lumps and not be a baby about it.

More to the point. I don't think they screwed up. I think screwing up is when you make a mistake. This was not a mistake. He knew it was against the rules, and did it numerous times, and blatantly lied about it, while criticizing others for breaking other RP rules.

A mistake would be accidentally mis-labeling a cars mileage in an ad.
What Daniel did would be like re-winding the odometer to LOOK like it had less miles, then selling it for higher.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG

Last edited by coborn35; 12-29-2010 at 04:23 AM.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:29 AM   #74
Freericks
Met Fan

Actually, I don't disagree with you, Max. And that was done, quite a few posts back.

I just disagree with the continuation of piling on...

PS - Ian, yes, get ready to be flamed. It's much easier to deal with when you know it's coming.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:33 AM   #75
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblaz View Post
It's called the Bill Belichick defense...

- Chris
Damn you, Chris... As much as I hate the piling on... this is one of the best posts I've ever seen.
Closed Thread