Old 09-25-2010, 04:20 AM   #26
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
Don't feel bad, thats the same guy that would rip 13 year old kids posting their pictures in the Teen Railfan Group on Trains.com a few years back.
To be fair to John, he also rips late 30s railfans due to their grammar.

http://forums.railpictures.net/showthread.php?t=10780
Old 09-25-2010, 04:57 AM   #27
coborn35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase55671 View Post
What is the relevancy of placing an age in your post? Age is irrelevant in this hobby. Constructive criticism should always be welcomed regardless of where one submits his/her images. The person receiving the criticism should be able to respectfully accept it. That seems to be the problem with younger people.

Chase
Oh step off the high horse already Chase, its making me sick. Theres no need for a grown man to rip on young kids showing their pictures to each other in a teen forum when they are simply sharing for fun. I guess from now on anything you do on here I will criticize sarcastically and negatively.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 06:03 AM   #28
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Quote:
Oh step off the high horse already Chase, its making me sick. Theres no need for a grown man to rip on young kids showing their pictures to each other in a teen forum when they are simply sharing for fun. I guess from now on anything you do on here I will criticize sarcastically and negatively.
How am I on a high horse? I simply asked a question.. I didn't imply I have an unbelievable ego and that unbelievable ego you're accusing me of having didn't express itself in my previous question..

If you have a valid point, I encourage the negative criticism.. I feel that John had a valid point with his original post and therefore didn't find anything offensive in his post.

I've never read the comments where he supposedly criticized young kids, but I don't really see a problem with that.. If they cannot handle it, they shouldn't be on the internet, or they should have their parents apply parental control.

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:04 AM   #29
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

I agree with both of you!
One shouldn't heavily criticize photos when no criticism was solicited, especially when the photographer is inexperienced, but that should be applicable no matter what the age. (Unless, of course, there's a lot of bragging going on, but that's more of a grey area)
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 12:46 PM   #30
Soo 6060
EMD > GE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
To be fair to John, he also rips late 30s railfans due to their grammar.

http://forums.railpictures.net/showthread.php?t=10780
Soo 6060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 02:44 PM   #31
avenger

I like it. Good power and a nice shot.

My photos: http://www.railpictures.net/members/...php?userid=916
avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 09:56 PM   #32
troy12n
Banned

I suppose there is always hope for yours...

Image © Frank Jolin/Railfan60
PhotoID: 338899
Photograph © Frank Jolin/Railfan60
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:55 PM   #33
WisconsinCentral

Niko, you know that I'm a power guy as well, and I like the shot alot. The quality is a little bit "eh", but its nothing that I believe should hold it back. Sadly, I think alot of people care less and less about power everyday, so therefore who knows if the screener will say "cool" after understanding the rare lashup. And then you have the people who chase around the heritage engines like they are the best things since sliced bread, so really you can't win...

Alec
Old 09-26-2010, 12:27 AM   #34
ssw9662

Give it a little less shadow/highlights and try again, it's a cool shot in spite of the bad lighting. You may also want a slight CW rotation as the image seems to lean to the left.
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Canon 50mm f/1.8
My Railpictures.net Photos
flickr
ssw9662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:31 AM   #35
nikos1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdirelan87 View Post
I don't think its an unfair assumption that if you have a point and shoot camera, you're also using a lower end editing program and by extension that you don't have much experience editing.... especially if you're asking for editing help.

I'd take a crack at it if you posted the original, full size image. As for a high end camera and overinflated ego; always a pretty common defense from somebody who need to justify to themselves why they haven't invested in a higher end camera and/or editting program.
Hmmmm, maybe the fact that I have 400 pictures on here might say that I know a thing or two about post processing? I've had to teach some friends the basics of post processing so they could get shots accepted here.
Needs to justiy? I don't have a damned thing to justify, I dont need higher end equipment, I can take perfectly good pictures with what I have. Sure a SLR would be nice at some point but I have bigger things to deal with at this point. Don't know what you do for your equipment but we cant all be like your buddy Chase who is "homeschooled" and therefore probably not working and his parents foot the bill for his top of the line equipment.
Here is the original image file, do whatever magic you have up your sleeve sir.
http://uslw.net/content/members/nikos/CSX Athens 1-28-09 057.jpg

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:33 AM   #36
nikos1

Quote:

Agreed with John on this account. His statements are not necessarily implying you cannot afford a high-end SLR (therefore also not being able to afford a decent post processing software), but could also be implying that one simply doesn't have enough of an interest in the hobby to pursue more professional gear.

Certainly nothing to take offense to..

Chase
Or that I dont have my parents buying me the latest camera gear.......

Oh and since we are criticizing post processing.....
Image © Chase Gunnoe
PhotoID: 338296
Photograph © Chase Gunnoe

At least mine looks somewhat like reality and I cant see spots of grain on the unit on mine.....

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

Last edited by nikos1; 09-26-2010 at 12:35 AM.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:07 AM   #37
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos1 View Post
Hmmmm, maybe the fact that I have 400 pictures on here might say that I know a thing or two about post processing? I've had to teach some friends the basics of post processing so they could get shots accepted here.
Needs to justiy? I don't have a damned thing to justify, I dont need higher end equipment, I can take perfectly good pictures with what I have. Sure a SLR would be nice at some point but I have bigger things to deal with at this point. Don't know what you do for your equipment but we cant all be like your buddy Chase who is "homeschooled" and therefore probably not working and his parents foot the bill for his top of the line equipment.
Here is the original image file, do whatever magic you have up your sleeve sir.
http://uslw.net/content/members/nikos/CSX Athens 1-28-09 057.jpg
That's not called for, Nikos. You're entitled to speculate, but to assume I don't work because I am homeschooled makes no sense. I'm perfectly capable of working and take pride in funding a portion of my camera gear. I don't owe you an explanation, but I do alright.

And even if my parents funded my entire line of equipment, it would certainly be better than running around getting high off my ass and contributing to teen pregnancy and juvenile delinquency.

Quote:
Or that I dont have my parents buying me the latest camera gear.......

Oh and since we are criticizing post processing.....
Image © Chase Gunnoe
PhotoID: 338296
Photograph © Chase Gunnoe

At least mine looks somewhat like reality and I cant see spots of grain on the unit on mine.....
Your original edit doesn't look better than mine. Infact, it looks worse. Processing is limited on a P&S and I feel that you were simply trying to over edit a shot that can't handle it and still maintain fairly decent quality.

And while we're criticizing my images, I agree that the grain spot on the nose is distracting, but at least the composition is somewhat different and the use of a wide angle lens made for a more dramatic composition. It was my only option once the sun dipped behind a cloud. A last minute thought that would've been better executed if using the proper settings.

What you should've done in this case is try for a different composition. An overcast wedgie, regardless off the power doesn't appeal to me. I still strongly believe that RP prefers great photos of trains instead of photos of great trains.

Chase

Last edited by Chase55671; 09-26-2010 at 06:14 AM.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:32 AM   #38
khalucha

Quote:
Processing is limited on a P&S and I feel that you were simply trying to over edit a shot that can't handle it and still maintain fairly decent quality.
Not trying to fuel the fire here but If I recall, I just read somewhere that a handful of P&S now can shoot RAW. A lot of these higher end P&S can take some nice pictures. I am not implying that they are better than a DSLR but they give you a good bang for your buck.

Webshot Photos

flickr stuff
khalucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 11:40 AM   #39
baldwin8

Wow, I thought this was just a friendly little railroad photographers forum. This thread has all the heavy weapons out!
baldwin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:44 PM   #40
troy12n
Banned

Now children...
Old 09-26-2010, 03:44 PM   #41
coborn35

Quote:
That's not called for, Nikos. You're entitled to speculate, but to assume I don't work because I am homeschooled makes no sense. I'm perfectly capable of working and take pride in funding a portion of my camera gear. I don't owe you an explanation, but I do alright.

And even if my parents funded my entire line of equipment, it would certainly be better than running around getting high off my ass and contributing to teen pregnancy and juvenile delinquency.

Chase
Maybe if you weren't home schooled you wouldn't make stupid generalizations like that.

I also like the fact that while Nikos is allowed to be ripped using speculation, you get all defensive when you are.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 04:46 PM   #42
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalucha View Post
Not trying to fuel the fire here but If I recall, I just read somewhere that a handful of P&S now can shoot RAW. A lot of these higher end P&S can take some nice pictures. I am not implying that they are better than a DSLR but they give you a good bang for your buck.
Indeed, you're right. Infact, I believe RP'er Loyd used to use a camera that was RAW capable. Having the flexibility of RAW, enabled him to do some good night stuff. This was several years ago too, so I'm sure they've progressed even more.

Quote:
Maybe if you weren't home schooled you wouldn't make stupid generalizations like that.

I also like the fact that while Nikos is allowed to be ripped using speculation, you get all defensive when you are.
I didn't rip Nikos for speculating. What I said was uncalled for, what the irrelevant statement of saying because I am homeschooled, I don't work.

Please show me where I got all defensive.

Chase
Old 09-26-2010, 07:26 PM   #43
WisconsinCentral

I guess I'm just old school. The power makes the shot in my book. Its not like I never shoot widecab power, but if there isn't anything in the shot that is impossible to pass up I generally don't even bother. Quality over quantity, or in this case, crap power.

Alec
Old 09-26-2010, 08:42 PM   #44
crazytiger

What the crap?!? Settle down people. If I wanted to take sides (which I kinda really want to) then I would start arguing with y'all but as I think we need to calm down, I'm not going to fuel anything.

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Friend
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:09 PM   #45
troy12n
Banned

Just for the record, there is nothing wrong with "contributing to pregnancy" or however you put it... it helps to wear a condom tho. Some of you might learn this one day, although that hobby will cut into this hobby.

Last edited by troy12n; 09-26-2010 at 09:50 PM.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:39 PM   #46
ssw9662

Wow, this thread really went to hell in a hurry. Why do we need to get personal with everything? It's just a hobby people.
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Canon 50mm f/1.8
My Railpictures.net Photos
flickr
ssw9662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:44 PM   #47
nikos1

Quote:
Well I dont see how this is any less of a valid assumption that you (or rather your agreeing with Johns speculation) that me shooting with a point and shoot means I know nothing about post processing. You seem to have a absurd amount of time and money, not to mention freedom for someone less than 18 years of age, it would appear that you are not holding a regular sort of job or attending any form of school for that matter. If you are funding your own equipment somehow, more power too you but from the appearance of your circumstances my assumption is just as fair if we are playing by the same rules you and John are.

Quote:
Yes, im usually high when not shooting trains, or sometimes while doing so which I guess is why the colors came out wrong in my shot.

Quote:
Your original edit doesn't look better than mine. Infact, it looks worse. Processing is limited on a P&S and I feel that you were simply trying to over edit a shot that can't handle it and still maintain fairly decent quality.

And while we're criticizing my images, I agree that the grain spot on the nose is distracting, but at least the composition is somewhat different and the use of a wide angle lens made for a more dramatic composition. It was my only option once the sun dipped behind a cloud. A last minute thought that would've been better executed if using the proper settings.

What you should've done in this case is try for a different composition. An overcast wedgie, regardless off the power doesn't appeal to me. I still strongly believe that RP prefers great photos of trains instead of photos of great trains.
Chase
And your shot does not appeal to me at all either, you got burned by a cloud and nothing is going to change that. Cloud over sun lighting is the absolute worst type of light you can get, and no matter how many pixels you have, or how far you push that shadow tool its still going to look like crap. The image has no color definition to it, and I definitely would have rejected it. Artsy images like that are easy to redo, if you had waited to redo it when you have proper lighting you would have a much better shot.

A pair of CR B40-8's could not be redone, it was powerswap day and the next day one of the units would have been gone, and anyways I had to go to school. I dont see how it qualifies as a wedgie anyways, I did the proper thing on a cloudy day, get some elevation and try to cut out as much sky as possible, when you have a once in a lifetime consist thats not the time to get artsy fartsy.........

Old 09-26-2010, 09:47 PM   #48
nikos1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisconsinCentral View Post
I guess I'm just old school. The power makes the shot in my book. Its not like I never shoot widecab power, but if there isn't anything in the shot that is impossible to pass up I generally don't even bother. Quality over quantity, or in this case, crap power.

Alec
Indeed, no matter what some people here say, most of the viewers of the site still like their power. Look at all the LTEX shots that get to24 if you need anymore proof. I'd say now is the time to powershoot, artsy stuff will be around forever, how much longer will we have SD40-2's on class 1's?

Old 09-26-2010, 11:25 PM   #49
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Quote:
Well I dont see how this is any less of a valid assumption that you (or rather your agreeing with Johns speculation) that me shooting with a point and shoot means I know nothing about post processing. You seem to have a absurd amount of time and money, not to mention freedom for someone less than 18 years of age, it would appear that you are not holding a regular sort of job or attending any form of school for that matter. If you are funding your own equipment somehow, more power too you but from the appearance of your circumstances my assumption is just as fair if we are playing by the same rules you and John are.
Nikos, I see what you're saying. I don't think that your P&S preference simply means you know nothing about post processing, but instead that perhaps the P&S limits your post pcrocessing.

Quote:
Yes, im usually high when not shooting trains, or sometimes while doing so which I guess is why the colors came out wrong in my shot.
This was not directed to you, but instead directed to people my general age and the activities they occupy themselves with.

Quote:
A pair of CR B40-8's could not be redone, it was powerswap day and the next day one of the units would have been gone, and anyways I had to go to school. I dont see how it qualifies as a wedgie anyways, I did the proper thing on a cloudy day, get some elevation and try to cut out as much sky as possible, when you have a once in a lifetime consist thats not the time to get artsy fartsy.........
It doesn't interest me that units are both Conrail painted and rare.. And I feel that nor does RP. I feel strongly about RP preferring great photos of trains, rather than photos of great trains, or else every time NS had a BNSF leading, it'd be accepted.

Agencies that do care about these rare power moves are rail magazines, like R&R, Railpace, and Railroads Illustrated.

The composition is simple, hence my wedge comment. Nothing exciting or dramatic. The only thing remotely dramatic was the post processing, until an extensive review revealed a very poorly edited image.

I think this is where we differ. You think that because of the rare lashup, a wedge is the best way to show off the scene on short notice, while not considering the poor weather.

I, on the other hand, don't necessarily care about the rare power as much as how to frame the shot under the poor weather conditions.

None of us are particularly wrong, we just differ..

I feel that from this post on I better stop commenting to avoid getting banned or becoming a moderator on ObsCar because of my continuous posts on a subject that doesn't deserve to receive such an extraordinary amount of attention.

Chase
Old 09-27-2010, 12:22 AM   #50
AntD.

Cool

Quote:
It doesn't interest me that units are both Conrail painted and rare.. And I feel that nor does RP. I feel strongly about RP preferring great photos of trains, rather than photos of great trains, or else every time NS had a BNSF leading, it'd be accepted.

So why does RP have this rejection: "Poor lighting (Cloudy): Common angle cloudy day shots of common/standard power are generally not accepted."
if RP didn't give a rat's ass about rarity of power? I can tell you that I've only seen ONE of these CR B40-8s here in Augusta, and when I got the chance to head to Atlanta, I caught only ONE leading a short local in Fairburn, Ga. Now tell me how many double CR painted B40-8 there are in the DB to date vs. the mulitiple Dash 9s, GEVOs, and P42s? (***In cloudy weather may I add...)

Just my 2 cents...

-Ant D.
AntD. is offline   Reply With Quote