Old 02-23-2008, 05:47 PM   #151
mikekmac

Point of clarification: Flickr does not allow the downloading of full-size originals from free accounts. Additionally, account holders may opt to make any or all of their photos not downloadable at all (Flickr does an HTML trick with the right-click so all you get is a tiny little icon file).
mikekmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 08:57 PM   #152
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalrailfan
Where it affects your health, wealth or family. And maybe if this is your biggest issue in life, well you need to get a life then!
Dave, how did you arrive at this being my "biggest issue in life?" It's an issue, but certainly not my biggest and I never eluded to that.

I just thinks it's really lame when someone has to gloss over an issue by saying "I've got bigger things to worry about," and discounting others for being concerned of said issue.

It's like people ripping on police for wasting time pulling over people for speeding when they should be arresting drug dealers, rapists and murderers. Well, you know what? Even the SMALL issues need to be dealt with, because if they're not, then they WILL turn into bigger issues.

I guess what you're saying is for everyone who was concerned about THIS issue, we all lack a life of some sort, including the owners of this site.

And if you're going to tell me to "get a life," I'd like you to please DEFINE what this "life" is I need to get so I will be on par with YOUR life.

Thanks.

Last edited by JimThias; 02-23-2008 at 09:00 PM.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 01:22 AM   #153
socalrailfan
Master Railfan

Jim I never said "you" or pointed this at you, just replied to your comments. My feelings is that the internet is like a 3rd dimension, it's out there and just exists. Trying to police it, compared to the real world is nearly impossible. You could spend 24/7/365 trying to find your pictures or trying to eliminate stolen photos of yours or others. Like I said there's better things and more important things in life to worry about.

You don't think my comment's correct that "if this is your biggest issue in life, well you need to get a life then!?" I mean if it is then you must not have a job, family, bills, etc. Those things to me are WAY more important that someone taking a photo of my from a place I put it up willingly, maybe hoping no one would take it, but I'm not blind to the fact it's free game out there. Take it or leave it, or fight it if you chose. I chose not too until someone profits off of it. Other than that I'm flattered someone would want my photo. Just my opinion.

Once again not directed at you, just a general comment about all of this directed to anyone wanting to read it. Let's not start a war with each other or anyone, that's the last thing I'm trying to do here. Being a firefighter (which let's me see life from a different perspective), internet user, webmaster for 13 years now on various sites and having dealt with these issues many time from both sides it's not worth it. Have fun, stay safe, go shoot a train!
See more of my train photos at:
http://community.webshots.com/user/firehouse16
See my train videos at:
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=SoCalRailFan
socalrailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 01:43 AM   #154
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalrailfan

You don't think my comment's correct that "if this is your biggest issue in life, well you need to get a life then!?" I mean if it is then you must not have a job, family, bills, etc. Those things to me are WAY more important that someone taking a photo of my from a place I put it up willingly, maybe hoping no one would take it, but I'm not blind to the fact it's free game out there.
No, it's not correct. You're implying that everyone in this thread who is finding an issue with this is making it their biggest issue in life. How you arrived at that conclusion is beyond me.

All I'm saying is it is just another issue on the list of things that we have to deal with every day. If it can be controlled (like it was in THIS case), then certainly we should do something about it. Like I said before, if the "little" issues in life are ignored, then they turn into bigger issues in the future.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 11:40 AM   #155
Save The Wave
trainchaser.us

Send a message via MSN to Save The Wave

This is incorrect, free accts can download all of the sizes. Some users make you be signed in, but it's still a free acct. And as for the "trick", hit your Print Screen button, paste in to a photo editor and crop. So much for that "fix".

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikekmac
Point of clarification: Flickr does not allow the downloading of full-size originals from free accounts. Additionally, account holders may opt to make any or all of their photos not downloadable at all (Flickr does an HTML trick with the right-click so all you get is a tiny little icon file).

The good, the bad and the ugly. My railpics
Save The Wave is offline   Reply With Quote