Old 02-03-2007, 01:19 PM   #1
4kV

Location: Homeless, alcoholic drifter with no permanent address
Default Stealing pictures

http://ferrocarrilmexicano1.tripod.com/

I was told by someone that this site has a few pictures of mine, of his, and several other people's. Sure enough, right on the front page is a shot of mine, not even credited to me, with the copyright info intentionally left off. I see some railpictures.net contributors on here, too.

If one of your pics is on here and this bothers you, send him an email. It looks like you might have to do it in Spanish, though.

Some people do not seem to care about such things, but this is a pet peeve of mine. The person did not ask, he took the time to remove the copyright, and did not credit a picture. I usually don't mind if someone asks.

Pat

Click on n691lf.rrpicturearchives.net for a good laugh and waste of your time.

Last edited by 4kV; 02-03-2007 at 01:58 PM.
4kV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 03:51 PM   #2
becker
Louis Becker

I'm assuming that since this is a Mexican web site, that the only pictures being harvested are those of railways in Mexico or railways in the US that also operate in Mexico? If so, this eliminates the worry for many US contributors (including me).

~Louis Becker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kV
http://ferrocarrilmexicano1.tripod.com/

I was told by someone that this site has a few pictures of mine, of his, and several other people's. Sure enough, right on the front page is a shot of mine, not even credited to me, with the copyright info intentionally left off. I see some railpictures.net contributors on here, too.

If one of your pics is on here and this bothers you, send him an email. It looks like you might have to do it in Spanish, though.

Some people do not seem to care about such things, but this is a pet peeve of mine. The person did not ask, he took the time to remove the copyright, and did not credit a picture. I usually don't mind if someone asks.

Pat
becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 04:49 PM   #3
4kV

Quote:
Originally Posted by becker
I'm assuming that since this is a Mexican web site, that the only pictures being harvested are those of railways in Mexico or railways in the US that also operate in Mexico? If so, this eliminates the worry for many US contributors (including me).

~Louis Becker
That is likely the case, but there are two railpictures.net guys with work on his site. I highly doubt he asked them, though that is just my assumption. My intent here is simply a heads up to those who may want to know, not to start a debate.

Then again, look at my avatar. It's stolen.

Last edited by 4kV; 02-03-2007 at 06:14 PM.
Old 02-03-2007, 05:32 PM   #4
Frederick

Quote:

~Louis Becker
But does that make it okay, just because it doesn't concern the majority of RP.net contributors?

Flickr Account
Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 05:37 PM   #5
John Fladung
JohnFladung.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick
But does that make it okay, just because it doesn't concern the majority of RP.net contributors?
My thoughts exactly. That's the sentiment that it may not/doesn't effect me so who gives a hoot.

On something like this, if someone's pictures are being taken advantage of without permission, that's one to many in my book.
John Fladung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 05:55 PM   #6
Ween

That guy's pop-ups are worse than RP's ever was...every single thing you click on leads to a pop up.

It's odd that he credits some people's work (John Witthaus and Jim Matuska), but others have nothing, like Pat's. Fortunately it doesn't look like he's passing of any of these photos as his own or that he's trying to profit directly from them, but it looks like his site is solely for informational purposes only.

I'm not sure how copyright info or intellectual material or the courtesies of using such material is handled in Mexico, but I'm with Pat that this guy should have at least contacted the photographer in question and/or at least left the copyright bar in place...
Old 02-03-2007, 06:16 PM   #7
Callufrax
?

Location: Nth. Strathfield, Main Northern, CityRail - Sydney, NSW, Australia

For myself, if it's non-profit, then I don't care if people use my images, as long as they don't modify it, and as long as they make a link back. Though, it is common courtesy to ask before using.

If someone's trying to use them for commercial gain, then I expect royalty payments. If someone tries to pass them off as their own, then I get angry. Thankfully, that's not yet happened to me.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:38 PM   #8
devights
Stephen De Vight

Default Dmca

Well, if you care you actually can "force" them to remove the work in question. This is done through sending their ISP a (Digital Millennium Copyright Act) DCMA letter. This site explains it and has a sample template (last one at the bottom). Basically you do a whois search (google it) to find out who hosts the site and the HOST not the owner's contact info. In this case it's a tad more difficult because Tripod doesn't provide anything other than a mailing address, so try finding a contact e-mail for Tripod, or just mail it to them.
Basically you send the people that host the site for the owner because they are somewhat liable for copyright violations. From stories I've read chances are they'll take down the offending site almost immediately.
devights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 12:05 AM   #9
4kV

Quote:
Originally Posted by devights
Well, if you care you actually can "force" them to remove the work in question. This is done through sending their ISP a (Digital Millennium Copyright Act) DCMA letter. This site explains it and has a sample template (last one at the bottom). Basically you do a whois search (google it) to find out who hosts the site and the HOST not the owner's contact info. In this case it's a tad more difficult because Tripod doesn't provide anything other than a mailing address, so try finding a contact e-mail for Tripod, or just mail it to them.
Basically you send the people that host the site for the owner because they are somewhat liable for copyright violations. From stories I've read chances are they'll take down the offending site almost immediately.
Thanks for the info. This was resolved today, but I will keep this in mind if something happens again.

Old 02-08-2007, 02:36 AM   #10
becker
Louis Becker

Quote:
That's not what I'm meaning by this - what I am intending to say is that those of us who don't have photos pertaining to what he wants may not have to worry about browsing through his site. He seems to want photos in Mexico (go figure ). However, unfortunately, some photos, even when not in Mexico, still may be at risk in a case like this, such as this one:

Image © Mike Vandenberg
PhotoID: 174538
Photograph © Mike Vandenberg

My original question concerned whether or not photos like this one were being used. It didn't imply that it was okay to use these photos, regardless of where they were taken.

As I was originally saying, does it seem as though photographers like me and the person who took this above photo are at risk for our photos being stolen by the author of that site?

Thanks,

Louis Becker
Old 02-08-2007, 02:54 AM   #11
becker
Louis Becker

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fladung
That's the sentiment that it may not/doesn't effect me so who gives a hoot.
If my photos get harvested, what are you going to think? You won't "give a hoot" either.

Last edited by becker; 02-08-2007 at 03:02 AM.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:37 AM   #12
SD70MACMAN
The man with the plan

Send a message via AIM to SD70MACMAN

Quote:
If my photos get harvested, what are you going to think? You won't "give a hoot" either.
Here here! Copyright infringement isn't a laughing matter. I'd come in shooting of someone stole my pictures w/o giving me credit. Hell, I'd be pissed if someone used my shots on a website, gave me credit but didn't ask first.

UP's new slogan for Amtrak:
"We'll help you spread you wings and fly right into a siding!"

TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS!!! May the fun never end!
I'm a traitor! Im on JP.net! But all my plane shots involve trains!

BN FOREVER!
SD70MACMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 02:48 AM   #13
Mgoldman

One seemingly simple fix for "theft" of RP images is to "lock" the photos - I've been to other sites where you simply do not have the ability to copy the images. Either there is no "copy" dialog box or it simply does not take.

I think this site should really look into such a feature.

Another less secure method - one I believe Jet Photos has - is to add a watermark. This kinda interferes with the viewing, however.

/Mitch
Stop, look and comment!
Click Here to lift, err, I mean to take a look at my photos on RP.
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 07:48 PM   #14
WembYard

On Fotopic sites there is an option in the user menu to disable the right click function which makes it harder for people to "lift" images. However I do not think that it deters the really determined.
WembYard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 08:54 PM   #15
Frederick

Quote:
However, unfortunately, some photos, even when not in Mexico, still may be at risk in a case like this, such as this one:

Image © Mike Vandenberg
PhotoID: 174538
Photograph © Mike Vandenberg
It doesn't matter if a photo on this site is of a Mexican engine or not; all of them are equally vulnerable to theft.

Flickr Account
Old 02-10-2007, 12:53 AM   #16
becker
Louis Becker

Quote:
It doesn't matter if a photo on this site is of a Mexican engine or not; all of them are equally vulnerable to theft.
I'm being specific to the site that caused this thread to start - they seem to want Mexican photos only.

~Louis Becker
Old 02-10-2007, 12:55 AM   #17
becker
Louis Becker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman
One seemingly simple fix for "theft" of RP images is to "lock" the photos - I've been to other sites where you simply do not have the ability to copy the images. Either there is no "copy" dialog box or it simply does not take.
Great idea, Mitch. I've always wondered if there was a way for RP to do that...

~Louis
Old 02-10-2007, 12:59 AM   #18
becker
Louis Becker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WembYard
On Fotopic sites there is an option in the user menu to disable the right click function which makes it harder for people to "lift" images. However I do not think that it deters the really determined.
Unfortunately you are very correct. It's almost easier to simply press ctrl+prt screen (on the keyboard) and copy the whole screen. Then you cut it down to size and have whatever you want, even if they were locked.

~Louis
-------
Don't ask me how I know this
Old 02-11-2007, 03:23 AM   #19
ssw9662

Also, it is possible to find the link to the photo off of the HTML file and just download it from there (I know this from making HTML files). If somebody really wants to snatch a photo from the internet, unfortunately there is no way to stop them.

Personally, I am OK with having photos of mine used on other websites as long as credit is given. I usually like to be notified first though.
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Canon 50mm f/1.8
My Railpictures.net Photos
flickr
ssw9662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 02:19 AM   #20
tomt

i have 9000+ images saved.

none, do i sell.

or clam as my own.

i'd like to have this one too-

http://www.mrrwarehouse.com/images/C.../D_Class_1.jpg
tomt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:51 PM   #21
mute

they take our jobs AND our photos
mute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 02:13 AM   #22
Frederick

...jobs that nobody else wants.

Flickr Account
Old 03-16-2007, 03:12 AM   #23
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Send a message via AIM to hoydie17 Send a message via Yahoo to hoydie17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman

I think this site should really look into such a feature.

Another less secure method - one I believe Jet Photos has - is to add a watermark. This kinda interferes with the viewing, however.

That'll work for about 65% of everyday web surfers, however, a person with even modest experience in HTML and basic internet browser use will know that once you view a photo, the image is retained in your cache until it's replaced by more recent data, the cache is filled up, or you manually clear the cache out.

Ultimately, if you don't want to run the risk of your photos being pirated by someone on the internet, the best way around it at this point is to just not post them publicly.

With that said, EVERYONE who plans to be a serious photographer of ANYTHING should learn as much as they can about metadata of their photos and try to provide as much inforation into the photos as possible.

All of my photos have metadata within the files that include my website URL, name, copyright registration, photo information, and photo editing software used. Even this is not 100%, but it gives peace of mind, because not many people are willing to dig through the metadata codes to clean out this info, and many don't even realize it exists.

Sean

Or if you want to see my work here at RP.net? Click here.

"It's just a damn train son!"
hoydie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 12:57 PM   #24
mute

Quote:
...jobs that nobody else wants.
= joke

besides, I'd LOVE to be a strawberry picker! Working with my hands in the earth and the open sky above. On the other hand, I've got boat payments...
mute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 07:59 PM   #25
Ween

Quote:
All of my photos have metadata within the files that include my website URL, name, copyright registration, photo information, and photo editing software used. Even this is not 100%, but it gives peace of mind, because not many people are willing to dig through the metadata codes to clean out this info, and many don't even realize it exists.
I wondered about that metadata stuff because as you said, I can just open up the image in PS and erase it and/or add my own info and say, "Nooooooo, I took this shot. See the metadata?" I wish you could lock the metadata with a password or something like you can for a Word document...