Old 05-10-2014, 12:54 PM   #126
MagnumForce

Just saying that ability and practicality are two pretty different things.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:44 PM   #127
jac_murphy

As I understand it, a tilt-shift lens can eliminate the perspective distortion created by tilting the camera lens upward, say for the purposes of containing a tall subject within the frame... but was there ever a tool for correcting the distortion created by standard wide-angle lenses before Photoshop?

Also - if distortion is a flaw resulting from the limitations of a wide-angle lens... then is compression a flaw resulting from the limitations of a telephoto lens?

-Jacques
jac_murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 02:31 PM   #128
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac_murphy View Post
Also - if distortion is a flaw resulting from the limitations of a wide-angle lens... then is compression a flaw resulting from the limitations of a telephoto lens?

-Jacques
Crompression is not a flaw per say of telephoto lenses, rather it is the result of using lenses to magnify an object that is being viewed.

This effect is present in any set of lenses, whether they be on a camera, a microscope, a pair of binoculars or a telescope.

Compression is the observed result of light traveling trough a lens and the way it occurs fas not changed since people started looking through lenses in the middle ages.

That is why digital cameras got smaller but the lenses stayed the same.

It is also why 21" CRT monitors where never very popular - they were too deep and heavy to fit on a standard size desk.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 02:36 PM   #129
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac_murphy View Post

-Jacques
Crompression is not a flaw per say of telephoto lenses, rather it is the result of using lenses to magnify an object that is being viewed.

This effect is present in any set of lenses, whether they be on a camera, a microscope, a pair of binoculars or a telescope.

Compression is the observed result of light traveling trough a lens and the way it occurs has not changed since people started looking through lenses in the middle ages.

That is why digital cameras got smaller but the lenses stayed the same.

It is also why 21" CRT monitors where never very popular - they were too deep and heavy to fit on a standard size desk.

Distortion is the same issue.

One can redesign the lens (actually a set of lenses) to minimize the observed distortion, but the effect is still present.

Removing distortion from an electronic image is truly revolutionary because it is not limited by the physics of light passing through a lens, rather it just moves data around to alter the original file.
Old 05-11-2014, 05:13 PM   #130
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80

I just want the EMD SD40E to be added to the database I Dunno Hand Gesture
Old 05-20-2014, 03:36 PM   #131
MasCoRailbuff

I myself don't mind the current two slot per day allotment, but for instance if you happen to get skunked with two rejections that day, that means you hafto cool your heels until another day rolls around. I don't know if this suggestion has already been made, but maybe an additional upload slot per year could be awarded to members in good standing. Just seems like it could be a good will gesture.

Joel Hawthorn

My stuff on Railpics

My Zenfolio project
MasCoRailbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 05:27 PM   #132
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasCoRailbuff View Post
I myself don't mind the current two slot per day allotment, but for instance if you happen to get skunked with two rejections that day, that means you hafto cool your heels until another day rolls around. I don't know if this suggestion has already been made, but maybe an additional upload slot per year could be awarded to members in good standing. Just seems like it could be a good will gesture.
I had 5, but three is all I ever really used.

If there is anything I have learned through talking with management recently, it is that I sure as shit would not PAY for more.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:50 PM   #133
MasCoRailbuff

Nice! I just noticed that they upgraded my upload privileges to five slots, so thanks to the powers that be for that! (y)

Joel Hawthorn

My stuff on Railpics

My Zenfolio project
MasCoRailbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:32 PM   #134
troy12n
Banned

In regards to upload slots, here is my thoughts.

When I first started, I had 10, like everyone else at the time. I found myself wanting to upload ASAP. The desire to upload caused me to process photos and upload as many as I could. This led to sub-par submissions, and hence, I had a poor submission to acception ratio, which I suppose led them to drop it to 2, which they were doing a lot at the time, this was around the time they changed all new people to 2 upload max.

Now, what I do is upload as I have time, and can put effort into uploads and processing. It ends up with my sub par photos looking a little better I guess. At any rate, I have 5 uploads now, and rarely use more than 3 at a time.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:38 PM   #135
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post

When I first started, I had 10, like everyone else at the time. I found myself wanting to upload ASAP. The desire to upload caused me to process photos and upload as many as I could. This led to sub-par submissions, and hence, I had a poor submission to acception ratio, which I suppose led them to drop it to 2, which they were doing a lot at the time, this was around the time they changed all new people to 2 upload max.

Now, what I do is upload as I have time, and can put effort into uploads and processing. It ends up with my sub par photos looking a little better I guess. At any rate, I have 5 uploads now, and rarely use more than 3 at a time.
Troy,

This is a valid post. I think that a decreased daily upload (two is still very reasonable for new members) emphasizes the quality over quantity goal here at Railpictures.

I've seen countless times how contributes abuse their elite unlimited uploads in making minimal corrections to rejections or in some cases, making absolutely no changes at all. This is frustrating, both to the contributor and staff in trying to overcome and correct rejection(s).

Those who obviously possess an attractive accept/rejection ratio are (over time) given the privilege to have their uploads increased. Our goal isn't to restrict or limit the number of images we receive on a daily basis exclusively, but instead give every opportunity to ensure improvement and quality through every upload.

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:58 PM   #136
Holloran Grade
Banned

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase55671 View Post
.......I think that a decreased daily upload (two is still very reasonable for new members) emphasizes the quality over quantity goal here at Railpictures.
And making Tom Riddle mad also appears to be a valid reason for reducing uploads.
Old 05-23-2014, 01:13 AM   #137
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post

But Troy, if you got it right in the camera to begin with, you wouldn't have to put all that time and effort into processing.

(I'm sure it wasn't you who used to say that, but I couldn't help but reference that from the past).

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:42 PM   #138
bigbassloyd

I never get it right in the camera. Damn thing is several stops short of an eye.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:50 PM   #139
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
But Troy, if you got it right in the camera to begin with, you wouldn't have to put all that time and effort into processing.
Sometimes it's hard for my camera to capture my vision of how a scene should look

Sometimes the sun is pointing the wrong way, sometimes reflections are just too fast, etc
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 02:22 PM   #140
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb

Sometimes one adjusts the camera settings for what they are planning on doing later on the computer - such as purposely under exposing the shot or shooting it wide for a later crop.

This nothing new, it was done in they days of film as well.