Old 01-31-2013, 07:54 PM   #1
CSXfan96

Default Rejected!!! Again!!!!!

one of my best shots was repeatedly rejected even after changing the brightness 1000000 times!!!! heres the photo
[ATTACH]7856[ATTACH]
they repeatedly said that the photo was too dark.can anyone give me some thoughts or info on my picture so i could get it through?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3205p.JPG (275.9 KB, 388 views)
CSXfan96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:11 PM   #2
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

You will have a tough time. I don't think the sun is shining on the front of the loco? That's usually a requirement.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:59 PM   #3
JRMDC

a) It's too dark. I don't know what kind of changes you made to the brightness, or how many times , but it's too dark. I don't have software here but I opened it up in something called "Microsoft Office 2010", I presume a photo editing application within the MS Office suite, hit AutoCorrect, and it looked a lot better.

b) Do you know how to use a histogram? What software are you using? Rather than beating yourself over the head, and reuploading (and they will eventually cut your upload privileges if you do that), let's make sure you are up to speed on ost-processing.

c) aside from the post processing, it does look like you were shooting on a dreary day. All the processing in the world can't turn a drab day pretty, and the simpler the composition of the shot, the less likely RP is to take a drab shot. RP's preferences. I doubt this one is getting on.

d) RP also in most cases does not go for shots where the trailing cars in the train are cut off on the side of the frame. RP looks for shots where the train is cut off by a building or foliage or some such. Again, RP preferences.

e) This shot is cropped/framed rather tight. Showing a bit more of the scene is helpful both in terms of getting shots on RP and, in my opinion, in general making the shot more interesting. This town looks like it has lots of interesting buildings around, in the background, give us a look. Everyone has seen the nose of a train

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:49 PM   #4
WMHeilman

Yeah, that's a poorly composed, poorly lit, crap shot. Sorry.
WMHeilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:01 AM   #5
Dennis A. Livesey

Also please post the link to the reject rather than just a link. Then we will all know what the screen saw and said.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:36 AM   #6
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

There is a good thread in here somewhere explaining all the RP rules of photography. That one Chase Gunnoe wrote. Anyone have that link handy?
Old 02-01-2013, 03:40 AM   #7
Kyle Korienek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
There is a good thread in here somewhere explaining all the RP rules of photography. That one Chase Gunnoe wrote. Anyone have that link handy?
http://forums.railpictures.net/showthread.php?t=11436

I still keep it bookmarked just in case because it is still helpful...

My RP Photos

Flickr! New & Improved!

Me In A Speedo

"I don't do this to make money or to please anyone, you people are too difficult to please and too cheap to buy my crap."
Kyle Korienek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rejection