Old 07-06-2008, 09:18 PM   #26
Nscalemike

Send a message via AIM to Nscalemike

I have used Picasa almost exclusively since I started shooting digital in 2004. I know a lot of folks turn their noses up at it...but it seems to work well enough for my needs, including organizing, processing and resizing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ATK 25 Grand Luxe at MP 305 061908.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	251.6 KB
ID:	3028   Click image for larger version

Name:	UP 4797 at MP 311 061208.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	251.5 KB
ID:	3029   Click image for larger version

Name:	ATK 79 MP 319 062408.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	282.2 KB
ID:	3030  

Last edited by Nscalemike; 07-06-2008 at 09:21 PM.
Nscalemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 11:15 PM   #27
JRMDC

Picasa - haven't used it, have heard only good things about it, free, seems like it has all one needs for RP purposes or otherwise people get by

3 Adobe Products:

Photoshop - the top end of the Adobe line - does everything and more, $600-700 or so.

Photoshop Elements - the downscaled Photoshop - all the functionality needed for RP and way more - $80 or so.

Lightroom - combo processing and image organization (although Elements also has an organizer) - seem oriented at the professional / heavy volume shooter. Haven't used it.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 01:28 AM   #28
Amtrak7

Did you catch a BL20-GH?

Crop it off in Photoshop or Paint.NET.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:11 AM   #29
jlev
Banned

Well, I have had success of getting one shot published, so far on railpictures.net, of an Amtrak in Newark Penn Station. However, these four shots were rejected. Most of them seem good to me, but probably not up to railpictures.net standards. Here they are.

http://railpictures.net/viewreject.p...&key=505553058

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=548976&key=0

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=548974&key=0

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1231568156
jlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 05:36 AM   #30
J Douglas Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
Picasa - haven't used it, have heard only good things about it, free, seems like it has all one needs for RP purposes or otherwise people get by

3 Adobe Products:

Photoshop - the top end of the Adobe line - does everything and more, $600-700 or so.

Photoshop Elements - the downscaled Photoshop - all the functionality needed for RP and way more - $80 or so.

Lightroom - combo processing and image organization (although Elements also has an organizer) - seem oriented at the professional / heavy volume shooter. Haven't used it.
I am using Corel Paint Shop Pro X2 ( about $45 OEM on eBay) and I really like it but it is taking some time to learn all the stuff.......... Not as intense as Photoshop, but its about $650 less

"Thanks for looking"

It is a proven fact that birthdays are good for you. The people with the most always live longer!
J Douglas Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 06:57 PM   #31
WembYard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlev
Well, I have had success of getting one shot published, so far on railpictures.net, of an Amtrak in Newark Penn Station. However, these four shots were rejected. Most of them seem good to me, but probably not up to railpictures.net standards. Here they are.

http://railpictures.net/viewreject.p...&key=505553058

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=548976&key=0

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=548974&key=0

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1231568156
The first third and fourth are far too tightly cropped, you need a fair bit of breathing space all round the train. Of these, the first one is the best - try it again with a less severe crop (hopefully the original has enough space to do this), it also needs rotating right very slightly (use the pylons in the background). When you have done this, the exposure and contrast needs adjusting, and the greenish tint removing.

The two NJ ones suffer from the same greenish tint, the GP40 is the better of the two, but has high sun issues - the F40PH is not such a good angle and also has the same high sun. Tight angles such as this can work, but need something else to complete the picture, such as the station in this picture

Image © Janet Cottrell
PhotoID: 205743
Photograph © Janet Cottrell

The Acela picture has image quality problems as well as needing a good rotation to the left. The quality is not helped by the wires in front of the train, just a guess - but is this a small area cropped from a much larger image?
WembYard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 01:53 AM   #32
jlev
Banned

I'm having trouble understanding about the forground objects, because I don't think I see any, evident in the shot. Thank you

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1278295559
Old 07-21-2008, 01:55 AM   #33
Carl Becker

It's the station platform. The bottom part of the side of the train is cut off by it. It's also cropped a bit too close to the bottom of the shot, IMO.

~Carl Becker
Carl Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 01:55 AM   #34
JRMDC

Quote:
I'm having trouble understanding about the forground objects, because I don't think I see any, evident in the shot. Thank you

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1278295559
It's the platform, blocking the view of the trucks. In general, the basic engine wedgie shot at the platform is often rejected for this reason.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 07-21-2008, 11:09 AM   #35
jlev
Banned

To me, the front of the train isn't cut off, but I guess that I cropped it a little too close. How would I know when the platforms are blocking the trucks.

On Picasa, or any photo software program, are there ways to convert cloudy pix into sunny ones? Thanks.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:44 PM   #36
Joe the Photog

Quote:
On Picasa, or any photo software program, are there ways to convert cloudy pix into sunny ones? Thanks.

Well, yeah, there is, but then your account would get deleted here and we'd talk about that guy who cheated on his shots.

Joe
Old 08-04-2008, 01:51 AM   #37
jlev
Banned

Here's another rejection. I'm sure I could be using my software a little better. I don't think it's a bad shot though, and I'm sure, others would think the same thing. http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=169924637
Old 08-04-2008, 02:07 AM   #38
JRMDC

Quote:
Here's another rejection. I'm sure I could be using my software a little better. I don't think it's a bad shot though, and I'm sure, others would think the same thing. http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=169924637
It has nothing to do with software; the nose of the engine is in shadow. RP simply does not accept that on a basic engine shot (or a basic train shot). Whether you or "others" agree with that or not, that is the criterion that is applied at RP.

There is no cure for this shot for this venue, sorry.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 08-04-2008, 02:30 AM   #39
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Actually, that's a horrible shot.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 02:32 AM   #40
photogeek88

Send a message via AIM to photogeek88

It appears you tried using your flash during daytime...
photogeek88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 02:32 AM   #41
Walter S

Send a message via AIM to Walter S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B.
Actually, that's a horrible shot.
I kind of have to agree sorry.
Walter S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:46 AM   #42
jlev
Banned

My flash actually went on, when I took the shot. My camera does it automatically, whenever an object is about to go though a shadow, or is in one, I believe. I didn't use the flash on purpose.

Here are some others that have been rejected:

1. http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=556948&key=0

2. http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=556961&key=0

For shot 1, I don't think there's any cure, even in the software. The sun was probably going to it's highest angle, as the shot was taken at about 11:30 yesterday.

For shot 2, I'm sure I could have done something better in the software program, as they said. Even if it meant cutting off part of the train, I would have understood.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:25 PM   #43
photogeek88

Send a message via AIM to photogeek88

Your camera doesn't do it automatically per se, you just have it set on full auto settings. On the D70, I would definitely reccomend setting it, at least to start off, in Program Mode (the green P on the control mode dial.) That way, the camera won't automatically use the pop-up flash, but the exposure and shutter are still automatically controlled. Hopefully this helps.

As far as high sun is concerned, the best way around it is...just don't shoot then! Especially during summer, high sun usually coincides with the hottest parts of the day, and who wants to be outside when it's hot? Plus, if you're shooting commuter trains, they're more frequent in the afternoons and early morning anyway, and the lighting is so much better then. During the fall and spring you can shoot most of the day, and during winter the middle of the day is about your only hope for enough light, but during summer give yourself a little break and shoot in the afternoon - it helps with getting rid of the shadows, its a cooler temperature outside, and the color of light is so much sweeter!

I personally become a bit of a cave-dweller during the summer, shooting in the morning, going back to the computer lair to edit and have a nap during the middle of the day, and heading back out around 4 or 5 to catch the sunset.

By the way, good choice with the D70-it's a little camera that packs a lot of punch once you learn its idiosyncracies!

Last edited by photogeek88; 08-04-2008 at 02:33 PM.
photogeek88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 04:05 PM   #44
jlev
Banned

Thank you, photogeek. However, I will probably end up continuing to shoot when the sun is hgih up, because I won't always have a choice. I do understand, that it will lower my chances of shots getting published on this site, no matter how good I think they come out.
My flash was, indeed on full auto setting. I was kind of standing in a shadow, and the nose of the GP40PH-2 shows the same thing.

At what time of day should I use the P mode?

My photo editing software,as i have said, is Picasa. I think I will stay with them because it's a good program. I don't want to pay a fee, if I could avoid it.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:03 PM   #45
JRMDC

Quote:
For shot 2, I'm sure I could have done something better in the software program, as they said. Even if it meant cutting off part of the train, I would have understood.
For shot 1, yes, no hope. Also, RP often does not care for in-your-face close ups, so you may want to try an alternative where the train isn't quite so close. BTW, lots of people like me certainly shoot in high sun conditions, just to have the picture, even though there is no RP hope.

For shot 2, it isn't too late. It needs a counter clockwise rotation (does Picasa do that?). I can't advise as to colors because I don't have a good monitor here, maybe a bit of warming will do it.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 08-09-2008, 02:01 AM   #46
jlev
Banned

Are there ways to get shots submitted when the sun is high up in the sky, especially in Cali? Thanks.
Old 08-09-2008, 02:05 AM   #47
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

As a rule, not really. The colours are washed out, the shadows look terrible, and it's basically crap.
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 02:32 PM   #48
jlev
Banned

Here is another shot of mine that was rejected, for a second time. The first time it was rejected was because, I had to resize the height. I submitted it a second time, and the reason was the high sun situation. The pix was taken shortly before 5 yesterday, so I don't know how the reason could have been applied.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=480814474
Old 08-17-2008, 04:28 PM   #49
JRMDC

Quote:
Here is another shot of mine that was rejected, for a second time. The first time it was rejected was because, I had to resize the height. I submitted it a second time, and the reason was the high sun situation. The pix was taken shortly before 5 yesterday, so I don't know how the reason could have been applied.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=480814474
You are suffering, not from a incorrect rejection, but an incorrectly phrased rejection wording that many before you have suffered from. The light is right on the nose, which makes it look like high sun but is not. But the problem for RP is that you do not have enough light on enough parts of the scene, such as the side of the train.

Whether it is fixable, well, I don't think so, too much darkness all over, for RP tastes at least.

Two side comments. First, the "DLW" is really cool and I encourage you to find angles that highlight that even more than this shot does. Second, if the Comet 1's are important to catch now, then let's see you do it! Here the cars are barely visible. Looks like lots of opportunities here for shots.

BTW, here's an example where, because it is not so bright, more of the cars and underneath the roof is visible.
Image © Robert Pisani
PhotoID: 213749
Photograph © Robert Pisani

One might reasonably ask why some shots get on and yours does not, and sometimes I think it is the preference of the screener. I am OK with your shot even though it was rejected, and I am OK with this shot which was accepted.
Image © Gerald Oliveto
PhotoID: 188638
Photograph © Gerald Oliveto

So maybe a simple appeal is warranted, arguing that you capture the nose and the platform detail and the lighting of the background is secondary.

You may also want to do what I just did, look at all the Hoboken shots on RP. Cool place to shoot!

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 08-18-2008, 09:43 PM   #50
denvillerailfan

congrats!