Old 05-05-2008, 07:54 PM   #1
NSFan14

Default Not much I can do about a high sun when a NS F Unit is town...

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=625156163

Well I notice the Horizon Unlevel and the High sun...But it would seem like they would overlook something like that cause its a NS OCS with F Units. Can anyone give me advice one this one?
Old 05-05-2008, 07:58 PM   #2
Walter S

Send a message via AIM to Walter S

Since there where other better photos of this same move why would they over look it? It is very unlevel and I personally dont like the angle. Just because it is special doenst mean they should overlook it. I have got a common power rejection on a steam engine before.
Walter S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 08:01 PM   #3
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter S
I have got a common power rejection on a steam engine before.
Would that be from "overshot" Cass?

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 08:15 PM   #4
Walter S

Send a message via AIM to Walter S

Yup, it was a Cass shot. Been awhile back now lol
Walter S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:01 PM   #5
Carl Becker

The grass in the foreground seems very overexposed or heavily saturated. The angle could probably be better if you had snapped the shot a split second earlier, but, as stated, the sun conditions here are less than suitable...
Carl Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:07 PM   #6
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Once again I disagree with the call made here, they might as well just said similar to previous considering every shot added has been at this or a very similar angle to the train. Showing more than just two coaches may lead to a more successful attempt of getting one accepted considering very few of the photos added showed the whole train. Always try to go the opposite direction of what photos can be found and arguments will be more successful. As for 'hiding' the real rejection reason here, I guess the sun was the first thing they noticed although all the other shots were from 1PM and on,too...

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:37 PM   #7
Save The Wave
trainchaser.us

Send a message via MSN to Save The Wave

I really like this shot and commend you for being brave enough to shoot it, given the area that yard is in.
The lack of direct sunlight seems to really bring out the saturation in the black and dark red. Love it.
Tho' it may not meet RP standards, It'd still look great hanging on your living room wall.

The good, the bad and the ugly. My railpics
Save The Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:46 PM   #8
Joe the Photog

What I see is a shot that is leaning heavily to the left, is suffering from high sun and as such does not have a lot of light on the trucks. What we have here is basically a poorly executed wedgie of a set of engines that has been shot to death for more than a year now. I love the NS F units, but they are not rare, they are not uncommon and they have been a main stay of this site for months now.

Joe
Old 05-05-2008, 10:58 PM   #9
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFan14
But it would seem like they would overlook something like that cause its a NS OCS with F Units.
Why? I found 197 photographs of that one F unit in the database, 115 of the 4271.

Joe
Old 05-06-2008, 12:46 AM   #10
WKUrailfan

its really not a bad photo at all. I like the wide angle on the NS F's, really gives them the "bullet nose" look. Rotate a little, decrease contrast. Either way its a nice frame of some beautiful units.
WKUrailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 01:31 AM   #11
John Ryan

Send a message via AIM to John Ryan

I apologize if I'm coming off as too critical here, but the photo here is poor light on common power.

It took me some time to realize that just because I saw a train doesn't make it special. I, too, spent a fair amount of time chasing the NS F-Units this weekend, but you won't see me uploading any photos of them. The light never was quite right, and certainly not up to what I feel should be railpx's standards. My favorite photo of the day was of a caterpillar walking along near a rail. I would sooner put the caterpillar in my annual calendar than the NS F-Units.

In defining what is rare, keep in mind that these locomotives have a porportionally high representation on railpix. They may be a four non-cab-units in a sea of black, but that very distinction also makes them popular with railfans.

If photographers want to enhance railpix's coverage of the railroad world, the site could use more emphasis on shortline operations and less emphasis on wedge photos.

John Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 01:47 AM   #12
Freericks
Met Fan

Ewey-Gooey was a worm, and what a worm was he. He sat upon the railroad tracks, the train he did not see.

Ewey-Gooey.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 01:57 AM   #13
NSFan14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks
Ewey-Gooey was a worm, and what a worm was he. He sat upon the railroad tracks, the train he did not see.

Ewey-Gooey.
Fortunatly doesnt look like this track has been used in years!
Old 05-06-2008, 02:05 AM   #14
E.M. Bell

Send a message via MSN to E.M. Bell Send a message via Yahoo to E.M. Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ryan
II, too, spent a fair amount of time chasing the NS F-Units this weekend, but you won't see me uploading any photos of them. The light never was quite right, and certainly not up to what I feel should be railpx's standards.
The light was never right anywhere?? I guess you didnt look to hard. Alex, your shots at Gaynor (the wye) do suffer from high sun, just like mine, and everyone else who shot there id say, not much you can do about it. But contrary to what was said, we did get good light, you just gotta know where to go Keep the rosters for you personal collection, and share the better stuff here, thats what its all about.

The NS F units rare, no, not really. No more so than a certain Qj steamer painted up like a bad circus billboard that I saw on here the other day. Rare is really in the eye of the beholder I guess, but a good shot of the most mundane of subjects is still a good shot..

Nope, not a lick of good light out there yesterday, guess I should have been shooting bugs to!

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

http://www.jreb.org
NS Fourms http://jreb.org/ns
E.M. Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 02:18 AM   #15
NSFan14

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.M. Bell
The light was never right anywhere?? I guess you didnt look to hard. Alex, your shots at Gaynor (the wye) do suffer from high sun, just like mine, and everyone else who shot there id say, not much you can do about it. But contrary to what was said, we did get good light, you just gotta know where to go Keep the rosters for you personal collection, and share the better stuff here, thats what its all about.

The NS F units rare, no, not really. No more so than a certain Qj steamer painted up like a bad circus billboard that I saw on here the other day. Rare is really in the eye of the beholder I guess, but a good shot of the most mundane of subjects is still a good shot..

Nope, not a lick of good light out there yesterday, guess I should have been shooting bugs to!

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Hello Emmett,
I did manage to get a shot accepted of the NS F Units at Waddy today. The lighting doesnt look to bad and no one else was where I was at!
Old 05-06-2008, 02:36 AM   #16
J. E. Landrum
RailPictures.Net Crew

Light was fine between Lawrenceburg and Harrodsburg.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Are they "rare", not so much. Are they beautiful and unique? Yes.
J. E. Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 02:46 AM   #17
Mgoldman

I'm with John on this one - the F's have become "common", at least on RP. It's a pretty standard wedge shot and not the best lighting.... However, you may be able to adjust the exposure (darken it) and then attempt to bring some detail back in the trucks (dodge, or shadow fill if you got it), and it may make the cut. Just be careful not to turn it into a painting!

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 03:48 AM   #18
Darryl Rule

I agree that the Fs are no longer rare, but what does RP consider non-common power? Obviously vintage type shots (which there have been many great ones over the past few weeks) would be non-common power. However, per a rejection I got and a response from the screener, is there anything running today that isn't common? My rejection was for the N&W steamer at Strasburg, and even though it is the only one of its kind still running, I was told that since it was a tourist line and could be shot again, it is common power. So that would go for just about any steamer I assume, and just about anything else running today.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:23 AM   #19
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Rule
So that would go for just about any steamer I assume, and just about anything else running today.
There's always something that isn't common at the time of upload. The first day out, or a rare outing (such as OC #33), or #3751. Or a new location - let's say #475 was in Virginia or #40 was in SC (Like that would ever happen).
Or maybe the recent pusher service at Strasburg.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 04:49 AM   #20
Darryl Rule

Good point on the pusher service. Saw your shot in R&R down at 30th St yesterday.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:22 AM   #21
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.M. Bell

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Well, these two shots are the best reasons there why the rejected shot in this thread should have been rejected. The photographer here took his shots in seemingly the same kind of light. Yet, he shot more of a scene and less of the train. So there was much he did do about high sun when the NS F units were in town.

Don't shoot close up wedgies of trains in high sun and expect them to get onto RP, no matter how rare the engines may or may ot be.

Joe
Old 05-06-2008, 02:21 PM   #22
ddavies

Also notice that Jreb also managed to get good light on the trucks. Just because it is a beautiful unit, doesn't mean that every picture of it is going to be beautiful.
ddavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 11:42 PM   #23
lock4244

You can never have too many shots of F-Units. Ever. What you might think is common, another sees as great coverage of what are rare locomotives in 2008 out on the mainline. Give the rareity of F-Units overall, I say shoot till ya drop. One day they'll be gone... just like the A and the J.

Insert witty comment here

Hot girl on girl action here!

More Pics Here
lock4244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 12:14 AM   #24
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lock4244
What you might think is common, another sees as great coverage of what are rare locomotives in 2008 out on the mainline.
First and foremost, RP is about great photos, not about "great coverage." Certainly shoot away, but don't expect the RP standards to be loosened. But there is lots of room on the web...

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 12:52 AM   #25
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman
There's always something that isn't common at the time of upload. The first day out, or a rare outing (such as OC #33), or #3751. Or a new location - let's say #475 was in Virginia Or maybe the recent pusher service at Strasburg.

/Mitch
I almost had the feeling Mitch was trying to say something here.

Joe