Old 02-24-2014, 10:17 PM   #1
adickson

Default Monitor Calibrating tools

Does anyone have a monitor calibrating tool they would recommend? I my brother just got a print of one of my photos and it was extremely dark. I have an IPS monitor and have never bothered to calibrate now I'm a little worried since I am venturing into the photo selling business.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

p.s. I'm so paranoid right now. If you don't mind, could you check out my website and tell me if you think the photos are dark? www.vidivides.com. There is a quality issue in the gallery but we are getting ready to swap over to a new gallery setup that will correct the problem.

p.s.s. The gallery on my website has been changed over to the new design. While still being tweaked, the images are now larger.

Last edited by adickson; 02-25-2014 at 12:32 AM.
adickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:03 AM   #2
KevinM

Hi Anthony,

It is a bit difficult to tell if there is a systemic issue with your pictures because you do have a tendency to photograph subjects that are either dark themselves, or in dark settings. Looking at the shot with the guy jumping snow dunes with a snowmobile, it does appear that the shot is a hair underexposed, or perhaps the highlights have been killed off just a bit too much. It's not way off, it's just a hair darker than I would make it if I were editing it.

I assume that you are using a histogram. That will tell you if you have the extremes adjusted correctly and will give you at least a rough idea on the mid-tones. As I'm sure you know however, it is possible to have a decent-looking histogram and still have the shot look a bit under/overexposed.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:36 AM   #3
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by adickson View Post
Does anyone have a monitor calibrating tool they would recommend? I my brother just got a print of one of my photos and it was extremely dark.
Grab that dark print and hold it in front of you. Now listen closely...the calibration "tool" is in your hand.

Now here is what you do: Hold that print next to the screen and adjust the brightness until it's as dark as the print. VOILA! Calibration complete.

And yes, at full brightness on my laptop, your images look a little underexposed. But how do we know that you don't prefer that look? I don't think they look bad, although the snowmobile shot could be brightened up a bit to make the snow WHITE.

Last edited by JimThias; 02-25-2014 at 01:39 AM.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 02:41 AM   #4
bigbassloyd

I've used the spyder setup in the past and it did fine for me. Now I just do what Jim does, and my prints have been spot on 99.675% of the time.

Your portfolio is leaning towards the darker side on my monitor. And since I trust my monitor with my life, I'll agree with it.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:42 AM   #5
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
I've used the spyder setup in the past and it did fine for me. Now I just do what Jim does, and my prints have been spot on 99.675% of the time.
Only 99.675??? YOU'RE NOT DOING IT RIGHT!!

JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:42 PM   #6
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Only 99.675??? YOU'RE NOT DOING IT RIGHT!!

I'm blaming the .325 on the printer who screwed the pooch on the darks in my grandview sunrise photo.

After a firm, but polite email. the next batch was spot on.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:29 PM   #7
adickson

Thank you both for the info. I'm going to try the Thias method and also get a spyder for back up. I think there is some blame that can be put on the printer too. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Thanks again!
adickson is offline   Reply With Quote