Old 08-12-2012, 10:23 PM   #1
adickson

Default Rp?

yea or nay? The engine is not the main focus in the image only an contributing element. And yes...I am well aware you can't see the trucks... I expect this image to do well in other venues but curious if it was appropriate for my RP portfolio.
adickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:14 PM   #2
Coloradorailfan

Send a message via AIM to Coloradorailfan Send a message via Yahoo to Coloradorailfan Send a message via Skype™ to Coloradorailfan

That's an interesting photo. Great composition, mood using the lighting you had. Nice human interest overall. I am not sure it's tough with the screeners.

My RailPictures Photos

My Flickr

"The camera doesn't make the photographer, it's the person behind the viewfinder."

- John Crisanti
Coloradorailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:49 PM   #3
Holloran Grade
Banned

Exclamation

Nope.

Maybe on Hobos.com.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:06 AM   #4
adickson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradorailfan View Post
That's an interesting photo. Great composition, mood using the lighting you had. Nice human interest overall. I am not sure it's tough with the screeners.
Submitted it and left the decision to the screener. I love the picture. Pleased with how it turned out. The train wasn't part of the original plan but they ran by and I wasn't going to pass up the opportunity to include them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post
Nope.

Maybe on Hobos.com.
Thats funny... I posted in their forum and they said "Nope. Maybe on Railpictures.net".

Last edited by adickson; 08-13-2012 at 12:08 AM. Reason: The spelling nazi attacked. Don't worry, I'm okay
Old 08-13-2012, 01:51 AM   #5
JRMDC

Not a fan. Putting aside the obscured train from an RP point of view, that also doesn't work well for me from a non-RP point of view. The foreground, I have little idea what it is, the shot needs less of it, or more.

The musician is smiling. Now, smiling is a good thing! But, one doesn't really see musicians smiling that much while they are playing, and not when there is no apparent audience. So the smile looks a bit out of place, therefore posed. Not a fan of posed, my personal preference.

So overall the shot seems out of kilter, a mix of compositional elements that just doesn't quite work.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:33 AM   #6
Dennis A. Livesey

Sorry. Does not work for me. Nothing seems to relate to anything else. I do not know what I am supposed to "see" on any level. And not just RP level.

The blah light is the worst thing here. Better light with better train or no train at all would give this a chance to work. The rusty thing in the foreground does not help. Better hair, better costume and a serious look would help the person.

That said, I do see what you are trying to do and I say keep going. You will get it.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:05 AM   #7
Joe the Photog

I really like the photograph as a photograph. It's interesting in terms of subject matter, angle, lighting and composition. (I'm not a huge fan of the clutter at the bottom of the picture, but I can deal with it.) However, as aRP shot, I'm guesing you're either abot to get a PEQ.... or you already have got it by now.

And, yes, it's mostly the trucks.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:43 PM   #8
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
The musician is smiling. Now, smiling is a good thing! But, one doesn't really see musicians smiling that much while they are playing, and not when there is no apparent audience. So the smile looks a bit out of place, therefore posed. Not a fan of posed, my personal preference.
You're assuming she's strumming the blues. In that case, I agree, as I haven't seen too many blues musicians smiling. However, she could be playing some happy music, which in that case, regardless of being alone, she may have a reason to smile.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:01 PM   #9
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
Sorry. Does not work for me. Nothing seems to relate to anything else. I do not know what I am supposed to "see" on any level. And not just RP level.

The blah light is the worst thing here. Better light with better train or no train at all would give this a chance to work. The rusty thing in the foreground does not help. Better hair, better costume and a serious look would help the person.
I'm with you, Dennis. I'm just seeing a miscellaneous assortment of props that are lacking a connection. The lighting is questionable on the person as well. I think some off camera flash(es) would have been benefical to the scene.

I would think this would be a no go for RP.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:11 PM   #10
JimThias

It looks like she's playing a mandolin. And some mandolin players like to smile when strummin':

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
Old 08-13-2012, 05:18 PM   #11
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
It looks like she's playing a mandolin. And some mandolin players like to smile when strummin':

+1 for Sierra Hull photo.

I think the smiling issue would be lessen by having her smiling in a 'happier' surrounding with 'happier' lighting.. Just kind of out of place to me.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:53 PM   #12
JRMDC

Lots of performers smile when they are performing in front of an audience, not so much when they are out by themselves on abandoned property. Not saying it doesn't happen, but it isn't typical, in my book. So it looks off, to me!

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 08-13-2012, 08:01 PM   #13
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Lots of performers smile when they are performing in front of an audience, not so much when they are out by themselves on abandoned property. Not saying it doesn't happen, but it isn't typical, in my book. So it looks off, to me!
Maybe she was high?

Old 08-13-2012, 08:55 PM   #14
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by adickson View Post
.............Thats funny... I posted in their forum and they said "Nope. Maybe on Railpictures.net".
LOL!

I was poking fun at someone else.

I like the photo as a hobo shot, but RP won't post it without a better view of the train.

And yes folks, that is a mandolin.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:46 PM   #15
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
+1 for Sierra Hull photo.
I'd never heard of this bird until I did a google image search for "mandolin players." She was the best looking player I found, hence the usage of the photo.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:13 PM   #16
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
I'd never heard of this bird until I did a google image search for "mandolin players." She was the best looking player I found, hence the usage of the photo.
You've come a long way in your treatment of the forum since those horrible red eyes on your animal avatar image.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 08-14-2012, 12:04 AM   #17
adickson

As I am sure you have already guessed they said negative. No surprise but it was worth a shot. That is my, taller than me, "little" sister with her mandolin. She also plays guitar, piano, and banjo. We were doing some shots for display when she plays on passenger excursions. It is tough to get a good smile out of her and this is actually a smile of embarrassment due to the crowd of passengers were taking our picture as the train was backing through the shot. Yup, I said backing. My photoshop skills must have been okay cause the sky is a massive repair and the smoke out of the engine is fake. haha. If you can see in the small shot, the engineer is facing the long hood end...starring at us.. haha. Like I said this shot was basically a grab shot. We were shooting inside the sand tower when we heard the caboose blow for a crossing. So we scrambled outside and got set up asap. The lighting was rough but workable. I'm happy. Its already hanging in my moms house and I will be ordering a canvass print here shortly.

Here is another from the shoot. This is an old Southern MOW boxcar. Oh my, can't see the trucks...haha!

Anyhoo, thanks for the input!
Old 08-14-2012, 03:03 AM   #18
Dennis A. Livesey

Her happiness in the other scene did not work with the unattractive surroundings.

I like the the boxcar shot much better. Now we have something to look at. The soft light bathing the scene is excellent for the color. I like the rust color and rough metal texture contrasting with the green grass and her skin. Her soulful look is far more appropriate for these surroundings.

Here is a suggestion of a crop.

baileyboxcar

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777

Last edited by Dennis A. Livesey; 08-14-2012 at 03:09 AM.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:52 PM   #19
sd9

Quote:
Yup, I said backing. My photoshop skills must have been okay cause the sky is a massive repair and the smoke out of the engine is fake. haha.

Anyhoo, thanks for the input!

"HA HA"??....You admit to faking smoke and digitally manipulating a photo and find it funny that you pulled this off?...
sd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:06 PM   #20
MagnumForce

I guess they are fine as portraits but I think they are pretty abysmal from a railfan standpoint.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:27 PM   #21
adickson

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd9 View Post
"HA HA"??....You admit to faking smoke and digitally manipulating a photo and find it funny that you pulled this off?...
I believe that is what "haha" means . My photoshop skills are nothing special. So yes, I find it funny no one picked up on it. Kinda impressed actually. There has been more than a few digitally "mastered" images on this site. I recall one was a screener's choice and it was quite popular. They are not a bad thing. As my amazing grandfather always says when he watches me, "we use to do that in the dark room".

This was a big reason I chose to post here before submitting. When I submitted I made sure to leave a note for the screener. I can just about guarantee the screener that vetoed it saw a previous version on my facebook. I was not trying to pull anything off...

No shame in my game. Have a great day, champ!
Old 08-14-2012, 08:35 PM   #22
adickson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
Her happiness in the other scene did not work with the unattractive surroundings.

I like the the boxcar shot much better. Now we have something to look at. The soft light bathing the scene is excellent for the color. I like the rust color and rough metal texture contrasting with the green grass and her skin. Her soulful look is far more appropriate for these surroundings.

Here is a suggestion of a crop.

baileyboxcar
Thank you Dennis. That is precisely the crop I used when I printed the 8x10s for my mom.

Thanks again
Old 08-15-2012, 01:16 AM   #23
Dennis A. Livesey

Quote:
Thank you Dennis. That is precisely the crop I used when I printed the 8x10s for my mom.

Thanks again
If she is like most moms, she is thrilled by what her kids are accomplishing.

You and sis doing good.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well: