Old 12-29-2008, 08:26 PM   #26
Ween

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderpath
-Yes I use it a lot, for a few years. It is especially handy for working in night shots with artificial light sources (sodium/mercury vapor). It is a great tool when trying to calculate color temperature. Others mentioned a "grey card" , this is not really a grey card for calculating exposure, as this can be done more effectively anyway with a histogram. Not to mention it is perfect for getting correct levels and curves, white and dark points.
Thanks for the info!
Old 01-02-2009, 04:16 PM   #27
Benbe

Well, for WB, you can use any copypaper for manual set. It differs from actual white so little, that it won't matter. Most cameras can set their white balance with ~100 K punctuality, which is good for the human eye, but far more, than the difference between a standard copypaper and this stuff.

As for exposure, the grey card (mind that "grey card" is used for exposure, not WB!) with a 18% grey can be used, but it only has any use if you have difficult lighting and use numerous spot metering checks of the entire scene with the grey card beforehand and find out the needed exposure for yourself.

If you use average metering (metering light on about half the area of the sensor, though with different weighs at the center and towards the edges) or AE, it's of no use. Anyway it's mostly used by nature and fashion photographers (if ever they need).

Using the grey card for action photography is time-consuming and in most cases, unnecessary. You can try your exposure and you'll get as close with 1/3 EV steps as you can just using you LCD, your instincts, and a good guess of the lightness of the scene (white snow and black tarmac can easily be distinguished from 18% grey).

I think on the scene you'll never get an exposure as perfect that you'd need a grey card to get it. You eye, the changing conditions will trick you. However, you can always think like the famous character in What the Duck: "I'd take better photos if I had a better camera. I'd take better photos if I had better lenses." So you can say, that whenever you take a bad exposure, it's not because you were wrong, but because you didn't have an accurate, 18% grey card on you. If so, you may spend $19 on something totally unnecessary, perhaps the placebo-effect will help you, or not.

Maybe you can use a grey card to set exposure if you have to photography stainless steel (too light) or steam locomotives (too dark). For white cards: buy one at your local photo shop for about $4, at your local office stuffs seller for $0,25, or the National Geographic photography school books that come with a grey card and a grey card in their inner cover, so they are better buys than a grey card without the book.
Benbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 01:01 PM   #28
khalucha

How about this?

Webshot Photos

flickr stuff
khalucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:04 PM   #29
Cinderpath

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalucha
-Um, that's kind of really cool, thanks for posting.
Cinderpath is offline   Reply With Quote