Old 09-11-2008, 01:46 PM   #26
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
FANTASTIC shot, Travis (or in your words, "Great shot!" heh heh).

Without the line of clouds in the upper third, this shot just doesn't have the same impact. Those whispy clouds give a feeling a motion along the same line as the train. It's a subtle line of clouds, but they make this shot stand out.

By the way, why did you favorite your own shot?
It's a way I let others know what my favorite shots of my own are besides the top 3 you get to pick. Thanks for the compliment.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 01:56 PM   #27
travsirocz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
I know the point of this thread was to bring up OTHER people's photos but I can't help but scratch my head at ~400 views for this one.
Image © Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
PhotoID: 249023
Photograph © Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

When it comes to my work, I am fairly modest and won't "toot my own horn" but this has to be one of my favorites/best. Maybe its because I was the only one there and know that this isn't posed or part of a photo special that makes it so unique and cool to me...but maybe the B&W kills it..or perhaps IQ?..I don't know. Anyone care to comment or tear it apart?
Black and white was the only way to, I think. I think the thumbnail may give to much away? I have also noticed this last month that my view counts are way down for newly added photos.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:58 PM   #28
travsirocz

Quote:
Originally Posted by asis80
Image © Ben Sutton
PhotoID: 250401
Photograph © Ben Sutton

I honestly thought this would get more hits, I don't like to swell my chest but this is better than most of my 99% wedgie shots lol I think I'm getting better, I know how to make a shot look good, but making a nice composition and getting away from the constant wedgies is a hurtle I can't quite jump over yet. I like the ones I got today, and I finally pulled off a kinda glint shot finally!

Image © Ben Sutton
PhotoID: 250397
Photograph © Ben Sutton

ben
If the first shot had some more color (orange) it may have down better. I really like your second shot, but I didn't notice it untill this post. Maybe to dark when scrolling thru the thumbnails?
Old 09-11-2008, 02:03 PM   #29
travsirocz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks
but that's why I'm the guy who can tell a GP7 from a GP9 on the fly, without needing to look it up anywhere.

(Sorry for the last part... had to momentarily justify my existance among the shutter elites...)
...and I am the guy that knows where to ask for answers!

I use to know locomotives much better then I do now. To tell you the truth I know little about train operations compared to a lot of you. I have been putting more time learning into the photography side then the railroad side. I know plenty about railroads but not as sharp as most. I know others care more about train symbols, engine numbers, locations, then any other part of this industry. I guess we all have are strengths that we share with each other. Thanks for the GP7 info.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:22 PM   #30
DRGW5371

Send a message via AIM to DRGW5371 Send a message via Yahoo to DRGW5371

Quote:
Originally Posted by travsirocz

I use to know locomotives much better then I do now. To tell you the truth I know little about train operations compared to a lot of you. I have been putting more time learning into the photography side then the railroad side. I know plenty about railroads but not as sharp as most. I know others care more about train symbols, engine numbers, locations, then any other part of this industry. I guess we all have are strengths that we share with each other. Thanks for the GP7 info.

I'm the same way. I can tell most engines apart from each other, but I could care less about road numbers or train symbols. Granted over time I have learned alot, but I'd rather focus on my photography than know what type of engine CSX 804 is by the number....it's an ES44AC by the way

My Photos on RP

CincyPics.com
DRGW5371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 02:40 PM   #31
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by travsirocz

Hope that didn't come out as an "I can do this better than you," sort of thing... wasn't meant that way at all... just picked those two engines because it had come up recently (and because you're photography is so freaking good).
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 03:34 PM   #32
travsirocz

Quote:
Hope that didn't come out as an "I can do this better than you," sort of thing... wasn't meant that way at all... just picked those two engines because it had come up recently (and because you're photography is so freaking good).
I took it just as you meant it. By the way, you can do that better then me. I could have found my answer if I searched the net harder then I did but I hit the big red easy button instead. I was actually complementing you and your knowledge that I do not have.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:51 AM   #33
Dennis A. Livesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
I know the point of this thread was to bring up OTHER people's photos but I can't help but scratch my head at ~400 views for this one.
Image © Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
PhotoID: 249023
Photograph © Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

When it comes to my work, I am fairly modest and won't "toot my own horn" but this has to be one of my favorites/best. Maybe its because I was the only one there and know that this isn't posed or part of a photo special that makes it so unique and cool to me...but maybe the B&W kills it..or perhaps IQ?..I don't know. Anyone care to comment or tear it apart?
I think it's the compo that is the problem. Normally you are near flawless Andrew but the diesels' cab right behind the two heads sinks it for me. If the cab was over to the right, then it would work. As it is, my eye is conflicted as to where to go, the men or the cab.
While many positive comments are posted, I think the idea and the mood is carrying the photo, rather than the image itself.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 02:25 AM   #34
KevinM

Whenever I see a title that starts with "Great Photos", I'm more than a bit reluctant to post any of mine, as my best are usually pseudo-wedgies with decent light and decent scenery...the artful thing still eludes me. But what the heck....

A while back, I took a photo charter on a small steam line in Eastern PA. It was a lot of fun and I met several RP contributors while there. I saw quite a number of shots from that charter appear here and it was probably the one and only event I can remember where my favorite RP shot was actually one of my own.

It was the last run-by of the day....a "one and done" at a place called Trexler's Crossing. Lighting was late afternoon filtered sun. Most folks opted for the broadside in the grade crossing. A couple of folks involved some bystanders. Still a couple more, including me, opted for the coming-'round-the-bend-while-still-in-the-woods shot. My image looked great coming right out of the camera with nice lighting, and the train framed in pretty wilderness vegitation. I thought it would get at least some attention. It was not unlike a more recent shot of mine that garnered 5 comments and 15 favorites. This one languished for days with fewer than 200 views and just one comment.

Image © Kevin Madore
PhotoID: 238472
Photograph © Kevin Madore

Even if the world didn't find it pretty, I still do. If I had to pick my 10 favorite shots from 2008, this would be one of them.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 02:37 AM   #35
Watain
-_-

Send a message via MSN to Watain

Quote:
Looking at Andrew's, and Ben's, and Travis' shots in this thread, I have to admit that I am not in that category... and there is a reason why I will never win a PCA... but that's why I'm the guy who can tell a GP7 from a GP9 on the fly, without needing to look it up anywhere.

(Sorry for the last part... had to momentarily justify my existance among the shutter elites...)
I will probably never get a PCA either. But like you I can actually tell the difference between an NS Dash-9 and GEVO without having to look at the engine number or the radiators.

Last edited by Watain; 09-12-2008 at 02:40 AM. Reason: DUH!
Watain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 03:07 AM   #36
Dump The Air

Image © Joseph Gregory
PhotoID: 248301
Photograph © Joseph Gregory

Probably the best night shot i've ever taken, only 287 views.
Dump The Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 03:39 AM   #37
Dennis A. Livesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dump The Air
Image © Joseph Gregory
PhotoID: 248301
Photograph © Joseph Gregory

Probably the best night shot i've ever taken, only 287 views.
It IS an excellent shot. I'd love to have it myself.

The shot is well done technically, with clear sharp lines. The eye easily goes to the engine, then the cars and the signal gantry (even the spotlight works and does not distract) and on up to the lovely blue sky which matches the blue of the engine.

It would look great on the inside of an annual report.

Now to make it on the cover of that report or to get RP top views...

The photo needs something more than what it has. Easiest and probably most effective would be human interest. Or a spectacular beam of backlight or I dunno what.

If I did, I would have a dozen RP PCA's by now!

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 04:53 AM   #38
SDavey

Image © Steve Davey
PhotoID: 245349
Photograph © Steve Davey

I thought the old GE in a snowstorm would have brought about more than just under 400 views.
SDavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 07:03 AM   #39
J Douglas Moore

My wife shoot and posted this on the 2nd and I thoght it would have pulled more interest. The color is really good (she used my camera lol), nite shot, the water tower really makes it I think...I am surprised at less than 200 views in over a week.

Image © Deborah Moore
PhotoID: 249190
Photograph © Deborah Moore

"Thanks for looking"

It is a proven fact that birthdays are good for you. The people with the most always live longer!
J Douglas Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 10:21 AM   #40
Benbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey
the diesels' cab right behind the two heads sinks it for me.
The cab is too dark, there's too little contrast between the silhouett of the men and the background to make it a real silhouett.

Quote:
I think the idea and the mood is carrying the photo, rather than the image itself.
And still that's great! Technical proficiency is a new need forming in the head of the photographers and spectators. In the old days people could love photos with minor flaws but with spirit.
I've just flicked through the selection of a photo contest organized by Panasonic. The Portrait/Human interest category was filled with portraits with virtually identical photos. About 15 of the ~30 photos to be exhibited they showed old and battered men in front of a black background with the same greenish/brownish, overcontrasted, "overshadows/highlights-ed" retouch. What was though to be interested in these men was that they were dirty, didn't have teeth, sweated, etc. Life? Spirit? Anything special? No way!
In this context, seeing such a great scene and not missing it values more than taking a perfect photo. Most visitors come for locomotives, not for landscape, human interest or drama. I liked your shot!
Benbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 07:56 AM   #41
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watain
I will probably never get a PCA either. But like you I can actually tell the difference between an NS Dash-9 and GEVO without having to look at the engine number or the radiators.
Protip: Go to Morant's Curve in the morning, guaranteed PCA
I got all the technical stuff down years ago, so I just pick up a bit here and there, so that allows me to focus on the photography side of things. (It's great to hear a girl say "That's a cool photo!" when it's of a train)
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote