Old 03-14-2014, 05:51 PM   #1
adickson

Default HDR Question

I have been learning a new HDR technique via the you tube. I don't care for most HDRy looking images. This technique I found gets you the dynamic range without turning the image into a cartoon. The problem I'm running into is the scene I shot has some obnoxiously bright lights at the pit where they unload ingredients. Even in my darkest image this area is blown out. So I merged 5 images together and tweaked it to get the best results. This method worked wonders for the motors, silos, and most notably the sky. I'm ecstatic! Rp...not so much. Which brings me to my question. With using the 32 bit method, how can I get more out of the highlights without making them holy (halos) or turning it cartoony? I have reprocessed with a 6th image that is even darker. I got a little more detail but when I went to edit to my taste I ended up in the same boat. Only thing I can think of is possibly taking a bb gun with me next time to..uh...fix the lights... ha!

Here is the condemned picture http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...65&key=9548136 Please ignore the typo, it is a 32 bit not 64...

and here is the tutorial I used in case you haven't heard of this method https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7xiyPEWkrg

Gracias!
adickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:58 PM   #2
nikos1

If you moved to the right could you use the train to block out the brightest blob of light in the middle? The lens flare from the locomotives lights bother me more than the plant lights though.

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 06:02 PM   #3
adickson

That would have worked but it would not have looked good. The current setup can utilize the train and adjacent track as leading lines. I've shot both, the challenge is to conquer the lights.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:19 PM   #4
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb

If I have something that I know when I am shooting it I am going to HDR, I purposely under expose the shots.

HDR works well for bringing out shadows, but it is no use for bright areas, which is why you need to under expose those shots.

Blocking the bright area in the subsequent shots works the best, but I am not sure how you do that in your image.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:47 PM   #5
adickson

I found a way to get more detail but now RP has me chasing my tail. The latest is bad color. Any ideas?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...33&key=2474676
Old 03-17-2014, 12:49 PM   #6
adickson

I resubmitted without adjusting the colors. ( the poor man's appeal) Good news, the color is acceptible now. Bad news, the cropping has suddently gone naughty. To which I respond "fuggem". Time to cash out and save my patience for another game of roulette.

We have a joke where I work that the boss has some dice he rolls to decide the work load. I'm starting to think rp uses a similar method for screening! Lol
Old 03-17-2014, 12:49 PM   #7
bigbassloyd

The shot has a hazy and dull look throughout. It needs some contrast and saturation IMO.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 02:55 PM   #8
Holloran Grade
Banned

Talking

With HDR images that look like HDR's, RP has a big issue with them looking like drawings, or fake.

I only use the process to enhance the range of the shadows and color, anything beyond that gets rejected.

I also noticed certain shots just seem to bug certain screeners and they find reasons to reject them.

That happened with this shot.

Image © EL ROCO Photography
PhotoID: 473552
Photograph © EL ROCO Photography

First it was the angle, then the crop, then unlevel, then back to the crop.

They just didn't like it, but it was never PEQ'd.

So I put it down for a month and last week for shits and giggles I uploaded it and it was accepted.

Same old consistently inconsistent, program that we know and love.

Last edited by Holloran Grade; 03-17-2014 at 02:59 PM.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:51 PM   #9
bigbassloyd

I would have rejected it once more, with specific direction to never upload it again

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote