Old 04-06-2011, 02:48 PM   #1
barnstormer

Send a message via Skype™ to barnstormer
Question Uploads?

I was just wondering how many uploads all the non RP elite contributers have. My first contribution was 8/1/11. I have Two uploads a day. It says on the page where you upload your shots that you are supposed to have ten. I want to see what everyone else has and why I have so few.( btw I started with two, I never had any taken away from me)

See my shots on Railpictures
See my shots on RRpicturearchives
barnstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 02:52 PM   #2
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

I think mostly everyone has 2 unless you were grandfathered in or somehow earned some other exemption.
Hatchetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 02:52 PM   #3
Joe the Photog

Some of the members who have been around since basically the site opened their doors will have more. Starting newer guys out with less should help the admins and screeners since theoretically they won't have to wade through New DSLR Owners ten out of focus, horizon unlevel, poor lighting front coupled wedgie with bad info shots the first day he starts submitting to the site. Hopefully, once a new member proves him or herself above board, there may be an increase.

Limiting uploads also helps the admins have more time to tackle tough issues like the scroll bad stealing Advil ad, etc.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:52 PM   #4
troy12n
Banned

It used to be 10, somewhere along the line they changed to 2. They likely never updated the webpage to reflect that.

I started in 2008 with 10, at some point it was reduced, now I am above 2 but less than 10. It used to be once you got to 100 pictures you supposedly had your uploads increased to 25, but that has been long gone.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 02:53 PM   #5
PLEzero

Your current 24 hour upload limit is 10.
You have 10 upload slots remaining.

I don't think I've ever tried to upload more than 2 or 3 in the same day.
My RP.net Photos
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 06:48 PM   #6
barnstormer

Send a message via Skype™ to barnstormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLEzero View Post
Your current 24 hour upload limit is 10.
You have 10 upload slots remaining.

I don't think I've ever tried to upload more than 2 or 3 in the same day.
Wow, you have several uploads.

This explains it. Thanks guys.

See my shots on Railpictures
See my shots on RRpicturearchives
barnstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:48 PM   #7
KevinM

At one time, there were stated policies regarding the numbers of uploads. I think that as the Admins and Screeners ran into more problems, the policies may have morphed to the point where limits were imposed on a case-by-case basis. One of the Admins even posted here that he was issuing prorated refunds to Elite Members who were bombing the screening queue with shots that didn't come close to meeting site standards.

I've been posting here since early 2008. When I joined, I had 10 and I still do. Like everybody, I had my share of rejections in the beginning as I tried to get a handle on what would and would not work here. Even then, I never bombed the screening queue. I think the max I have ever uploaded was 7 shots in a day, and that was only after a charter in which multiple RP'ers participated. In that situation, if you snooze, you lose. Normally, if you see 4 or 5 shots from me in a week, that's a good week.

I think the key to staying on the good side of the site is moderation. Use the three-strike rule on shots. If you can't get it in on three attempts, put it away and move on. If you have more than 5 rejections in your box, take some time off and work with folks on the forums to address the issues. If you're new, submit only your very best...don't mess with the marginals. Take your time when processing a shot or fixing a reject. Don't be tempted to do quick fixes and resubmits. When the Screener sees the same bad shot half a dozen times in 3 hours, THAT'S the E-ticket to the doghouse.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:12 PM   #8
BurghMan

Joe the Photog - "Limiting uploads also helps the admins have more time to tackle tough issues like the scroll bar stealing Advil ad, etc."

Loved it Joe! I guess you and I are the only ones who think this is a major issue. I had to refresh the page 5 times today to get a different ad that allowed me to use the scroll bar.

Last edited by BurghMan; 04-06-2011 at 08:15 PM.
BurghMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:36 PM   #9
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurghMan View Post
Loved it Joe! I guess you and I are the only ones who think this is a major issue. I had to refresh the page 5 times today to get a different ad that allowed me to use the scroll bar.
There are other ways to avoid this headache...
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:06 PM   #10
ssw9662

I've been here since 2004 and I still have 10 uploads. My brother joined at the same time, but he only has 2 uploads per day now. In hindsight I'm surprised my account wasn't also limited seeing all the crap that I posted during my first couple years as a member. Either way it doesn't matter as I seldom post 3 or more photos in one day.

As an interesting sidenote, before 2006 there was no limit on the number of uploads per day. I remember the original 10 upload limit being a big deal for a few people, which seems funny now that the majority of uploaders are now limited to just 2 photos per day.
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Canon 50mm f/1.8
My Railpictures.net Photos
flickr
ssw9662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:16 PM   #11
ExNavyDoc

When I joined as a non-Elite member, I had 10; still have 10. I don't think I've ever used more than 3 at one time.

Of course, I have only 41 photos in the database.

FWIW.

Mike

My RP.net Photos Here

My Smugmug Galleries Here
ExNavyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:02 AM   #12
Greg P

Send a message via AIM to Greg P

I joined in 2006 when I first got into train pictures.

I still have 10 uploads. The most I've uploaded in a day was 7, and got 5 in.

I have 47 pictures in the data base. I have frequently wondered if there's a mathematical formula of rejections to acceptions, or if they just knock you down to 2 if you submit something really bad.
Greg P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:23 AM   #13
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb I never do this.....

I think most people should not upload more than two or three in a day because they tend to upload images that all look alike.

Now you old guys that are uploading scans of slides and prints - that does not apply to you.

But the others that upload three images of three different trains in exactly the same spot without even adjusting the zoom I pose this question:

Why?

Also: Dump Internet Exploder and the scroll bar issue will go away.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:41 AM   #14
Freericks
Met Fan

Old guys? Old guys? Old guys? I'm guessing the President's initials when the doctor first slapped your rear-end were either JFK or LBJ -- Old guys, indeed!
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:22 AM   #15
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
Old guys? Old guys? Old guys? I'm guessing the President's initials when the doctor first slapped your rear-end were either JFK or LBJ -- Old guys, indeed!
Presidents now days don't get initials, just last names.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:48 AM   #16
BarrySr

Send a message via Yahoo to BarrySr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post
Now you old guys that are uploading scans of slides and prints - that does not apply to you.
Thank you for the compliment, sir!

(whew....got that already thin attempt at humor in before the 18 day thread response statute-of-limitations )

"I dug 'dem boats when diggin' em wasn't cool"

"Why are the crazy people so enamorate of all things EMD?" [Holloran Grade]

View My Photos on Railpictures.net
BarrySr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:40 AM   #17
KevinM

Quote:
Try DDE, Charles, and you'll be in the ballpark!

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:38 PM   #18
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb

Quote:
LBJ and I wonder how old "old guys" will be when I am 70.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:48 PM   #19
Freericks
Met Fan

I split the difference between you two... JFK for me.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:13 PM   #20
MTM9

I still have 10 uploads a day and I've never been an elite member. Granted, I've went over 6 months without uploading a single picture before.
MTM9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:19 PM   #21
msteinblock

I have unlimited uploads, and have since the beginning. Of course I joined as an elite member at the very start, but not for photo upload reasons. I am not going to bomb the queue...I dont have that many good photos, it takes me too long to edit them to do 10/day. I am lucky to get a couple done a week. I joined the elite group for two reasons, to support the site which I'm sure like all sites they need it to pay the bills, and to get rid of the horrible ads. I am more than willing to pay the couple bucks a month to get rid of them. I mean really, I waste more money on really dumb things, I might as well give it to a good place to share good photos. I would encourage anyone to join the elite program, not just for the benefits but really to support an excellent website.
msteinblock is offline   Reply With Quote