Old 12-05-2017, 03:17 PM   #1
RR503

Default Too dark?

Yes, I know itís a cloudy day, but Iím having a hard time understanding this one. Would RP like a blown out sky?

TIA!!

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...36&key=8224630
RR503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 03:34 PM   #2
bigbassloyd

There's no detail in the majority of the shadows. Black blobs of nothing, which is a good indicator of the image being too dark. Perhaps restart from scratch, and try to make the black blob in front of the train actually show that the train isn't melted into the track / superstructure.

Loyd L.

American Rails dot com - A fantastic website with tons of information and photographs related to American railroads and locomotives.
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 03:41 PM   #3
csx_fan

Why not wait for better weather conditions (sun) and re-take the photo ?
csx_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 03:51 PM   #4
RobJor

Like mentioned bring up the shadows some for some detail in the foreground without ruining the strong B/W overall but if you look at the accepted: cloudy, moody, art type city-scapes in black and white are not showing up too much in the daily fare. Not sure if anyone tries or they just don't get in Can't get enough of the calendar type photo. Wish you luck!!!

Bob Jordan
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:20 PM   #5
KevinM

I think everyone is thinking along the same lines. The image is a little bit too dark and contrasty, to the point where there is no detail in the shadows at all. (The image as it currently exists would be markedly improved by simply jacking exposure a bit and adjusting the black point to the right.) Rather than using this as a starting point, I would reprocess from scratch. Use a histogram....it really helps a lot.

Set exposure first. This looks perhaps 2/3 of a stop underexposed....maybe more. Then apply some shadows and highlights. After that, check your white and black points. You want the white point just touching the right side. A teeny bit of overexposure for headlights or sun reflections (none in this shot ) is OK. Black point is equally critical. There, you want a little bunching on the left side of the histogram, but not nearly as much as you have now. Finally, adjust contrast as needed, so the image does not look either washed out (low contrast) or oil-painted (highlights killed.)

My stuff is here.

Yeah, I do Flickr too. Tons of non-RP stuff there.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 01:23 AM   #6
RR503

Thanks all!!!

I'll try brightening and bringing out detail in shadows -- I use gimp and have only been doing photography for 2 years so my hopes aren't particularly high...

As for why I don't retake, it's quite a trek from where I am, and I'm not exactly drowning in time. Otherwise I absolutely would.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:30 AM   #7
RobJor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR503 View Post
Thanks all!!!

I'll try brightening and bringing out detail in shadows -- I use gimp and have only been doing photography for 2 years so my hopes aren't particularly high...

As for why I don't retake, it's quite a trek from where I am, and I'm not exactly drowning in time. Otherwise I absolutely would.
Give it a try, I looked at some of your others and they are very nice!

Talking about yours motivated me to try a b/w to see what would happen, I know you saw:

Image © Robert Jordan
PhotoID: 640104
Photograph © Robert Jordan

Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 04:35 AM   #8
RR503

I did indeed see that — PCA nomination from me too. I love the clarity of the shot, along with the varieties in tone you get. Also the composition and location are just excellent — I wish NYC hadn’t torn down our downtown els (and not just for that reason)...

I tried again, and got a cloudy rejection. At this point, I’m done. I’ll file that one away... onwards! And thanks all for your help!
Old 12-06-2017, 04:48 AM   #9
JimThias

You people and your bus-on-rails photos.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 01:07 PM   #10
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
You people and your bus-on-rails photos.
I like Trolleys myself

Loyd L.

American Rails dot com - A fantastic website with tons of information and photographs related to American railroads and locomotives.
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 02:25 PM   #11
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
I like Trolleys myself

Loyd L.
What ever floats your boat, man!

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 02:52 PM   #12
RR503

LOL

Great thing about shooting transit is that you get unlimited retakes. Mess up the shot? No matter. Try again in 5 minutes.