Old 11-21-2017, 01:25 PM   #1
BNSF650

Default Canon 6d OR Canon T5

Hello all. I am trying to learn more about action shots and stuff i mostly do roster shots. I have the Canon T5 But i am wondering if i should upgrade to a Canon 6D? Also i dont know if i better lens would help i only have the two stock ones that came with the T5 and they are

EF-S 18-55mm

75-300mm telephoto zoom lens

I think a new lens would help but i just dont know what i should get.
BNSF650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 02:18 PM   #2
bigbassloyd

I would honestly suggest continuing to learn, grow, and master the process of taking a photograph before attempting any upgrades.

Better equipment does not make a better photographer.

Loyd L.

American Rails dot com - A fantastic website with tons of information and photographs related to American railroads and locomotives.
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 02:49 PM   #3
KevinM

I'm not a Canon shooter, but I believe that the T5 has an APS-C (crop) sensor and the 6D is a full-frame camera. If you have lenses that were designed for a crop sensor, they will not work correctly on the 6D unless the 6D has something akin to Nikon's DX-mode. Even then, you would lose a significant amount of resolution doing that. Moving from a crop sensor to a full-frame is a pretty significant upgrade, which pretty much renders all of your existing gear obsolete, unless you have the funds to own two complete sets of bodies and lenses. On the good side, I think you'll get better high-ISO performance with the 6D.

If you are just starting out, I think Lloyd's advice is spot-on. Stay with what you have and work on the basics....finding good spots, composition, exposure, processing. If you've been doing this for years and feel you've outgrown a basic camera, by all means, take the plunge into full-frame. I did and have never looked back.

My stuff is here.

Yeah, I do Flickr too. Tons of non-RP stuff there.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 03:13 PM   #4
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
If you have lenses that were designed for a crop sensor, they will not work correctly on the 6D
That is correct.

Loyd L.

American Rails dot com - A fantastic website with tons of information and photographs related to American railroads and locomotives.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:37 AM   #5
troy12n

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
That is correct.

Loyd L.
It's not that they won't work correctly, they won't work AT ALL.

The lens mount for EF-S is different than the EF mount. In that you physically cannot mount an EF-S lens on a full frame camera body.

This is because the distance between the rear lens element is farther back on an EF-S, and could actually come in contact with the mirror when the shutter is actuated.

You can mount an EF mount lens on a crop body camera, but not vice versa.

you will notice the EF-S lenses have a white "square" symbol on the lens and EF has a red circle, also on the camera body, this is to try to be a visual symbol that the two aren't compatible.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:15 AM   #6
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post

The lens mount for EF-S is different than the EF mount. In that you physically cannot mount an EF-S lens on a full frame camera body.
That's interesting. The Nikon System is a little more flexible. Any of Nikon's recent lenses, DX or FX will mount on any F-mount camera, DX or FX. An FX lens used on a DX camera will result in a 1.5X magnification factor, which is why a lot of wildlife and sports shooters buy the D500 Pro DX body, and shoot FX lenses on it. Using a DX lens on an FX camera will work, but since such lenses are designed for a small sensor, the image will not fill the FX frame. Fortunately, FX cameras do have a DX mode which will crop the image appropriately. The disadvantage is that you lose a ton of resolution on the 24 MP cameras. The loss isn't so bad on the high-res sensors like the D800/D810/D850. In those cases, you would still get a decent res image in DX mode. It's sub-optimal, but it will work.

My stuff is here.

Yeah, I do Flickr too. Tons of non-RP stuff there.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 03:16 PM   #7
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post

This is because the distance between the rear lens element is farther back on an EF-S, and could actually come in contact with the mirror when the shutter is actuated.

You can mount an EF mount lens on a crop body camera, but not vice versa.

you will notice the EF-S lenses have a white "square" symbol on the lens and EF has a red circle, also on the camera body, this is to try to be a visual symbol that the two aren't compatible.
I didn't realize I needed to spell it out. If it doesn't work correctly, it doesn't work Troy.

Loyd L.

Last edited by bigbassloyd; 11-22-2017 at 03:20 PM.