Old 10-28-2017, 06:34 AM   #1
abr

Default Foreground Clutter

Last Saturday, I went to NJ Transit's Gillette Station to catch some of the extra trains running on the Gladstone Branch for the annual Far Hill Steeplechase Race. It was a chance to catch some equipment that does not normally operate on this line.

At the time of day trains were operating, the nose of the lead unit (and the other diesel sets operating on the line) would have been backlit. Hence I went for shooting the train on more of an angle. Since trains all trains on the line were operating in the direction that the "one way" signs were pointing, I tried to make use of them in the shot:http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...38&key=2007720

I wanted to get your insights on the rejection. Is the one way sign towards the rear of the lead unit really that much of a distraction or is it the totality of that with the station sign blocking a window on the coach behind it the culprit?
abr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 07:22 AM   #2
miningcamper1

Different model ugly engine, but rather similar to the one they accepted. Maybe the screener didn't want another one.

Image © Adam B. Reich
PhotoID: 635240
Photograph © Adam B. Reich

BTW- Extra trains? How many people can they accommodate way out there? The numerous disorderly conduct arrests did make the news.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/

Last edited by miningcamper1; 10-28-2017 at 07:36 AM. Reason: addition
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 01:04 PM   #3
RobJor

In the rejected, is that equipment at the top rear supposed to be exposed or is an access cover missing? I'd think the foreground clutter is marginal except if you are taking a roster shot of a piece of equipment like that even a little is too much??? Anyway, glad we have Metra around Chicago and a little clutter didn't hurt.

Image © Robert Jordan
PhotoID: 513461
Photograph © Robert Jordan

Bob

Last edited by RobJor; 10-28-2017 at 01:45 PM.
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 02:16 PM   #4
abr

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
In the rejected, is that equipment at the top rear supposed to be exposed or is an access cover missing?
It's supposed to be exposed. It's a dual mode locomotive capable of running as a catenary-powered electric that is being run in diesel mode. That section is where the locked down pantograph is located. Even though the Gladstone Branch is electrified, I don't think the electrical system could necessarily handle all of the extra trains, hence the mixing in of diesels on the line on that day.
abr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 03:53 PM   #5
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
In the rejected, is that equipment at the top rear supposed to be exposed or is an access cover missing? I'd think the foreground clutter is marginal except if you are taking a roster shot of a piece of equipment like that even a little is too much??? Anyway, glad we have Metra around Chicago and a little clutter didn't hurt.

Image © Robert Jordan
PhotoID: 513461
Photograph © Robert Jordan

Bob
Very nice station scene!
One trick I use on a too-prominent sign is to wash it with an appropriate transparent color. The sign would still be there, but far less conspicuous.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 04:11 PM   #6
troy12n

It's not a very good scene in general, so i'm not sure it's worth any real effort to try to get that shot on, but if you are dead set on getting it on, clone out the sign, not hard...
Old 10-29-2017, 01:24 AM   #7
Decapod401

If you showed more of the train, the sign would go unchallenged. As is, despite your intent, it is just a roster shot, and roster shots have to be close to perfect to warrant an RP acceptance.

My RP Pics are HERE.

I've now got a Flickr. account, too.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote