Old 10-15-2017, 09:00 PM   #1
MassArt Images

Default Any adjustments to make acceptable?

Heading straight into the sun. Any adjustment to possible to make the screener accept? I only ask since my PSE knowledge is not 100% and there might be a tweak I am not aware of.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...68&key=5101011

My RP pics are HERE

My website is HERE
MassArt Images is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 09:29 PM   #2
wds

Well it appears you brightened the shadows to the max and it didn't help (probably just the opposite). You could try selecting the locomotives and increasing saturation to give them a bit more color but I feel with that crop/composition it's a lost cause anyway. Did you have to slam on the brakes and hop out of the truck because the train was there and you didn't have time to get into better position or what? Certainly looks that way...
Old 10-15-2017, 09:47 PM   #3
Mberry

No, I don't see any way to get this on rp.
Mberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 09:52 PM   #4
Pkwlsn

I think it would have had a chance if the truck wasn't in the frame.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:25 AM   #5
MassArt Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by wds View Post
Did you have to slam on the brakes and hop out of the truck because the train was there and you didn't have time to get into better position or what? Certainly looks that way...
No, this truck pulled out from under the trestle just before the train came. The Mrs. was shooting video and impeding the progress of the truck.

My RP pics are HERE

My website is HERE
MassArt Images is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 04:48 AM   #6
troy12n

No way... bad lighting and that truck...

It actually looks overexposed or you pushed the levels on the dark side of the lead unit
Old 10-16-2017, 05:37 AM   #7
Pkwlsn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassArt Images View Post
No, this truck pulled out from under the trestle just before the train came. The Mrs. was shooting video and impeding the progress of the truck.
Don't forget that when things like that happen, you can stick around and take another shot in the exact same shot after the truck has passed and then combine the two images in Photoshop.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:37 AM   #8
Noct Foamer

The light was coming from the wrong direction for this shot. Once you learn to recognize that, you will adjust where you shoot from almost automatically. This would make a nice night shot--you could do it with just three small flash.

Kent in SD
Noct Foamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 01:34 PM   #9
miningcamper1

Hate to sound harsh, but better photos taken there are already on RP.

Would a 2-train over-and-under shot in that light get on here? Good question.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/

Last edited by miningcamper1; 10-16-2017 at 01:38 PM. Reason: revision
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 03:38 PM   #10
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noct Foamer View Post
The light was coming from the wrong direction for this shot. Once you learn to recognize that, you will adjust where you shoot from almost automatically.
Good advice, especially since Carl is a novice photographer.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 04:33 PM   #11
KevinM

I suspect that with the raw image, I could probably tweak it and make it look better than it does. That said, even the best edit probably won't ever get it on RP. The cut-off truck is just too distracting.

This is one of the reasons why I tend to avoid grade crossing shots or scenes in which the public could potentially interfere at the last minute....because sure as shootin', they will. Shooting steam in public is even worse than shooting Class 1 stuff, because there's always "cell phone dude" in a red shirt who will walk right into your frame at the worst possible moment.

I do find it a fun challenge however, to make an acceptable photo in a crappy light situation. Here's an example of one that looked impossible when I first saw it. The sun was just outside the frame and the shadows down low were really dark. Maybe not awesome, but far better than I would have imagined at the time:
Image © Kevin Madore
PhotoID: 509595
Photograph © Kevin Madore

My stuff is here.

Yeah, I do Flickr too. Tons of non-RP stuff there.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:50 PM   #12
troy12n

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
I suspect that with the raw image, I could probably tweak it and make it look better than it does. That said, even the best edit probably won't ever get it on RP. The cut-off truck is just too distracting.

This is one of the reasons why I tend to avoid grade crossing shots or scenes in which the public could potentially interfere at the last minute....because sure as shootin', they will. Shooting steam in public is even worse than shooting Class 1 stuff, because there's always "cell phone dude" in a red shirt who will walk right into your frame at the worst possible moment.

I do find it a fun challenge however, to make an acceptable photo in a crappy light situation. Here's an example of one that looked impossible when I first saw it. The sun was just outside the frame and the shadows down low were really dark. Maybe not awesome, but far better than I would have imagined at the time:
Image © Kevin Madore
PhotoID: 509595
Photograph © Kevin Madore
Also Kevin,

Your shot was out of harsh light, so you did not have the stark contrast of backlighting combined with a (visibly) dark side facing the viewer.

You can pull of a shot like that in different conditions, which the OP's is not.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:43 PM   #13
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
Also Kevin,

Your shot was out of harsh light, so you did not have the stark contrast of backlighting combined with a (visibly) dark side facing the viewer.

You can pull of a shot like that in different conditions, which the OP's is not.
Hi Troy,

My shot was taken at nearly mid-day, and at about the same time of year as the OP's photo (October). The major difference was WA vs. VA. As noted, the sun was just out of the frame on the right in mine. Down near the stream-bed the shadows were really deep. It looked like crap coming out of the camera. Incidentally, I'll have to look, but I don't believe there were any local adjustments made in that shot. Most of my editing is global adjustments with Lightroom.

My stuff is here.

Yeah, I do Flickr too. Tons of non-RP stuff there.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote