Go Back   RailPictures.Net Forums > Railroad Photography Forums > Railroad Photography Forum

Old 12-06-2017, 04:57 PM   #401
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
It would almost be worth photoshopping the watermark out, and emailing it to the photographer just to prove the fallacy that is watermarking.

Loyd L.
I agree. I've been putting a small watermark on mine for the past couple of years, if only to ensure that if someone copies the image intact as a screensaver, FB page, etc, it is still clear who owns the work. But your point is undeniable. If someone with even basic editing skills wants to pirate, modify or otherwise bastardize copyrighted work, they can.....and probably do it with relative impunity. Copyright laws are pretty gutless unless the copyright owner becomes aware of the violation and has the time and financial resources to try and make them stick. There are no "Copyright Cops", unfortunately.

My stuff is here.

Yeah, I do Flickr too. Tons of non-RP stuff there.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:13 PM   #402
JimThias

I wonder if they'll reject my comment.

Image © Kevin Burkholder
PhotoID: 640187
Photograph © Kevin Burkholder

(I added "blue" to the food coloring comment before I posted)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 9.12.59 AM.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	602.1 KB
ID:	9547

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:51 PM   #403
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post

Image © Kevin Burkholder
PhotoID: 640187
Photograph © Kevin Burkholder

(I added "blue" to the food coloring comment before I posted)

Attachment 9547

The 1225 makes a great subject. Would love to get back up there and see her again. Unfortunately, I'm not a fan of this particular image. After I read your comment, I took a look at it on an IPAD. The Apple displays are usually pretty true color-wise. I am really surprised that the photographer (and the screener) didn't catch the obvious color-cast issue. Other less-than-pleasing aspects include too much flash power (nuked) and a large, complex watermark that does not blend well at all with the woods.

I suspect that the target (FB) audience probably doesn't care about any of those issues.

Jim, do you sell your patented Snow Hood (TM)? I want one!

My stuff is here.

Old 12-07-2017, 02:56 PM   #404
bigbassloyd

Most of his 'great' photography should be rejected.

Loyd L.

American Rails dot com - A fantastic website with tons of information and photographs related to American railroads and locomotives.
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 05:55 PM   #405
JimThias

Quote:
Comment accepted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post

Kevin, that "hood" is a small black lamp shade I bought at a dollar store, which I then taped to the hood for the Canon 100-400.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
Old 12-08-2017, 12:24 AM   #406
wds

WTF?

Image © Steve Jensen Jr.
PhotoID: 640317
Photograph © Steve Jensen Jr.

Do they no longer reject for stupid dimensions or aspect ratios? This shot would look decent if it were cropped on the bottom where the left rail exits the frame but as accepted it just looks like some idiot shot it with a cell phone.
Old 12-08-2017, 03:39 AM   #407
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by wds View Post
WTF?

Image © Steve Jensen Jr.
PhotoID: 640317
Photograph © Steve Jensen Jr.

Do they no longer reject for stupid dimensions or aspect ratios? This shot would look decent if it were cropped on the bottom where the left rail exits the frame but as accepted it just looks like some idiot shot it with a cell phone.
It's not even a cell phone ratio. That's just terrible.

However, I can now sleep tonight...

Name:	steam.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	575.7 KB
ID:	9548

Old 12-08-2017, 08:18 PM   #408
miningcamper1

[deleted by user]

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/

Last edited by miningcamper1; 12-08-2017 at 08:23 PM. Reason: brain freeze
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 11:00 PM   #409
wds

Quote:

However, I can now sleep tonight...

Attachment 9548
Me too!
wds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 05:00 AM   #410
cprted

Quote:

Attachment 9548
And I got an 'size: unusual aspect ratio' rejection for an 8x10 a little while back ... lol
cprted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 02:24 PM   #411
tbelton

Quote:
Originally Posted by cprted View Post
And I got an 'size: unusual aspect ratio' rejection for an 8x10 a little while back ... lol
So did I a couple months ago.
tbelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 02:22 AM   #412
coborn35

Quote:
The 1225 makes a great subject. Would love to get back up there and see her again. Unfortunately, I'm not a fan of this particular image. After I read your comment, I took a look at it on an IPAD. The Apple displays are usually pretty true color-wise. I am really surprised that the photographer (and the screener) didn't catch the obvious color-cast issue. Other less-than-pleasing aspects include too much flash power (nuked) and a large, complex watermark that does not blend well at all with the woods.

I suspect that the target (FB) audience probably doesn't care about any of those issues.

I realize Kevin is not liked but cmon, thats a sweet shot with the plume standing out.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 02:47 AM   #413
amtrak07t

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
I realize Kevin is not liked but cmon, thats a sweet shot with the plume standing out.
It would have been even sweeter if the plume wasn't blue
amtrak07t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 03:47 AM   #414
Noct Foamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtrak07t View Post
It would have been even sweeter if the plume wasn't blue

The blue-ness is odd. It might be an artifact from converting from NEF to JPG maybe. Or Srgb. It would have been very easy to color correct, or simply use the desaturate tool to turn it gray. All in all though, pretty well done. The focus is the tough thing in the dark and it looks OK. Exposure is actually pretty good, although I would probably have darkened it down a little with the exposure tool. The hard thing is spacing the flash correctly and that was done here. Steam engines are different from diesels in that they are flat black where diesels are not only bright paint, the paint is usually metal flake. It takes a different lighting strategy for each. My only criticism is the train isn't in a particularly interesting setting. Not sure if there was something better somewhere else though.

This railroad is on my "will get to it" list. In the past our family vacations have been either way north (Arctic), the West, or Europe. We've never been to Michigan. Now that my kids are grown and gone, and wife & I have more vacation days, I intend to start knocking off a few things from my "will get to it" list.

Kent in SD
Noct Foamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 04:07 PM   #415
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noct Foamer View Post
I would probably have darkened it down a little with the exposure tool.

Kent in SD
Hi Kent,

So would I. Too many night shots are just too bright. Just because someone can light something with a big enough nuke, doesn't necessarily mean that the result will be pleasing to the eye. It's night. It should look like night...not artificial day. If I wanted a shot lit that brightly, I'd go photograph the train at 4 PM on a sunny afternoon.

My stuff is here.

Old 12-11-2017, 04:29 PM   #416
Noct Foamer

Quote:
Hi Kent,

So would I. Too many night shots are just too bright. Just because someone can light something with a big enough nuke, doesn't necessarily mean that the result will be pleasing to the eye. It's night. It should look like night...not artificial day. If I wanted a shot lit that brightly, I'd go photograph the train at 4 PM on a sunny afternoon.

My thinking is that a night photo should have the "feel" of the night, something that preserves its sense of mystery. Here's a grab shot I took last night on the way home. I try to capture the idea of a train briefly coming out of the darkness to reveal itself, and then just as quickly it disappears back into the dark. I had 16 flash with me (~10,000ws) but only needed two small ones to get what I wanted. Probably could have used a third on the hoppers (or used my D800E instead of D5300). Anyway, I am after a totally different feeling with night shots vs. day shots.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/968260...posted-public/

Kent in SD
Old 12-11-2017, 05:05 PM   #417
bigbassloyd

Well I see why you're sticking up for Burkholder now..

Loyd L.

American Rails dot com - A fantastic website with tons of information and photographs related to American railroads and locomotives.
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 05:27 PM   #418
RobJor

I just got the message, 584,240 photos since my last visit(I am in my account). Where do I start!!!!!!

Just screen for Good night flash shots should narrow it down.

Only a few rise to what Jim Shaughnessy did way back. One of my favorites is a little set of photos of his he did in the Palmerston Book, think the heading was a take off Midsummer's Night D.ream.

Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 05:34 PM   #419
KevinM

Quote:
My thinking is that a night photo should have the "feel" of the night, something that preserves its sense of mystery. Here's a grab shot I took last night on the way home. I try to capture the idea of a train briefly coming out of the darkness to reveal itself, and then just as quickly it disappears back into the dark. I had 16 flash with me (~10,000ws) but only needed two small ones to get what I wanted. Probably could have used a third on the hoppers (or used my D800E instead of D5300). Anyway, I am after a totally different feeling with night shots vs. day shots.

Kent in SD
I like it! It almost looks as if the train is illuminated by the headlights of your car. I also think the color temperature of this BNSF shot is far more pleasing to the eye than the blue/white color of the PM 1225 image. IMHO, the biggest problem with the 1225 shot is color balance. I'm not an expert in nailing color balance, but I can tell when it is really whacked.

So, you're up in the Hill City area, eh? I was up there this summer to visit the Black Hills Central. I stopped there for 3 days after passing through Wyoming to catch the eclipse. The BHC is a pretty neat operation. Nice people, good equipment....interesting route too.

My stuff is here.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:03 PM   #420
Joseph Cermak

Circling back to the obnoxious watermark comments from earlier....
Image © Giorgio Iannelli
PhotoID: 640669
Photograph © Giorgio Iannelli
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:49 PM   #421
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Cermak View Post
Circling back to the obnoxious watermark comments from earlier....
Image © Giorgio Iannelli
PhotoID: 640669
Photograph © Giorgio Iannelli
If I had to put an obnoxious watermark like that on all of my photos, I think I'd give up photography. Images are to be enjoyed, and having the primary subject contaminated with that sort of thing markedly reduces the appeal of even the thumbnail. I am not sure of the logic behind it.

The images posted here are roughly 1024 x 683 pixels at perhaps 1 MB size. None of the publishers I've ever worked with would use a low-res JPEG like that in any of their products, so it's not as if someone is going to pirate a photo from RP and put it in a legitimate book, magazine or calendar. And what if someone did try to fraudulently use someone else's train picture? How much money does the photographer stand to lose? With what most publications are paying for train pictures, you'd spend more money on the initial consult with an attorney, if you tried to enforce the gutless copyright laws.

My input is to sign your work, not deface it.

My stuff is here.

Old 12-12-2017, 12:31 AM   #422
Noct Foamer

Quote:
1. It almost looks as if the train is illuminated by the headlights of your car.

2. I also think the color temperature of this BNSF shot is far more pleasing to the eye than the blue/white color of the PM 1225 image. IMHO, the biggest problem with the 1225 shot is color balance. I'm not an expert in nailing color balance, but I can tell when it is really whacked.

3. So, you're up in the Hill City area, eh?

1. That's the sort of look I'm after with these crossing shots. I don't like to overdo the light--just enough to give you a sense of place. Actual car headlights don't light up enough area of course, and I don't have much control over the light's direction either.

2. The professional monolights (Profoto, Einstein, Elinchrom, etc.) are carefully designed to give consistent K-temp no matter what power setting. Consistency is the key when you use the flash for a living. The cheaper monolights (Cowboy Studies, Interfit, Photogenic, etc.) can vary quite a bit with power setting, or even from unit to unit. The little 4AA flash popular with railfans (such as Yongnuo) can also have a fair amount of variation. One way around this is to shoot a white card and then simply adjust in CC, of course. A more sophisticated way to get colors exactly precise is to use an X-rite Color Passport:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...rt.html?sts=pi
More information than you'd ever want, LOL:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTlugQd3L5g

These work well even in mixed light or any other "weird" light you come across. I use one for paid work, and sometimes for foamer shots when light is "challenging."

3. I actually live on the other end of the state, half way between the UP Transcon in Omaha and the old NP mainline in Fargo. There are quite a few different railroads within a 3 hour radius of me.

Kent in SD

Last edited by Noct Foamer; 12-12-2017 at 12:38 AM.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:11 PM   #423
JimThias

Quote:

Kent in SD
The bottom left foreground is WAY too hot and quite distracting. Gotta tone that down a bit, man.

Old 12-12-2017, 07:28 PM   #424
JimThias

Quote:
The images posted here are roughly 1024 x 683 pixels at perhaps 1 MB size. None of the publishers I've ever worked with would use a low-res JPEG like that in any of their products, so it's not as if someone is going to pirate a photo from RP and put it in a legitimate book, magazine or calendar.
What about a large CSX yard sign?

Name:	csxphoto.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	613.7 KB
ID:	9549

Old 12-12-2017, 08:01 PM   #425
Decapod401

Quote:
What about a large CSX yard sign?

Attachment 9549
I remember this. Interesting that the word "integrity" appears on it. Did you ever get any satisfaction?

My RP Pics are HERE.

I've now got a Flickr. account, too.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote