Old 04-17-2005, 03:02 AM   #1

Default I don't get it?

For a year now, I have been taking pictures of trains and posting them on railpictures. None of them have accepted. It is either backlit, or bad cropping, or to many objects, or etc.
#3300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 03:53 AM   #2
mtrails

Type in the links to your recent rejected photo's, and those of us on the forum can give you advice about them.
mtrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 04:01 AM   #3
4kV

Location: Homeless, alcoholic drifter with no permanent address

Yes, when you get a rejection for a certain reason, also try avoiding that in the future. Use the rejections as a learning tool. Next time before you shoot, see where the sun is, pick a location without foreground clutter. As far as cropping, best to give us some examples, and many people will be willing and able to give advise on how better to crop.

Click on n691lf.rrpicturearchives.net for a good laugh and waste of your time.
4kV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 04:14 AM   #4
Ru1056

Send a message via Yahoo to Ru1056

Post the rejected photos here. 2 pairs of eyes are better than 1.
Ru1056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 04:35 AM   #5

Here are some pictures.

This was rejected because of bad cropping. I can see backlit, but not bad cropping.

Bad cropping

This one is really weird, this one was excluded for bad intent. I see bad intent of getting a picture of a guy on the back of a train and posting it on the internet. So when I see\here bad intent, this isn't it.

These are some of the many I have sent in. Thanks for the advise for the future.
Old 04-17-2005, 05:46 AM   #6
Ru1056

Your first one could use a tighter crop all the way around the photo. The overhead wires are distracting, as is the telephone pole on the right. Cut some of the road at the bottom off. Maybe some on the left.

It is an interesting shot, and I think it is nicely composed. If you were to crop it tighter it would be pretty good.(Maybe a bit soft)

Your second pic is a 3/4 wedgie roster shot. That and it is a cloudy day shot that is soft. Don't know what can be done with this one.

What is the intent of your third one? It just looks like a junkyard. While the C&O caboose is interesting, the well car and crap in front of it kills the shot.

Others here can also help you and know a lot more than me. Ask nicely, and you should get some results.

Billy
Old 04-17-2005, 01:32 PM   #7
ssw9662

The first and second pics definately need more cropping, while the third should be foreground clutter. If you want to get alot of pics accepted, just do a search on the database and see what the screeners are looking for. BTW what type of camera do you have?
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Canon 50mm f/1.8
My Railpictures.net Photos
flickr
ssw9662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 12:16 AM   #8

I followed your advise, and they all got rejected again for the same reason, poor cropping.

Is thisone good?
Old 04-18-2005, 01:49 AM   #9
cmherndon
Banned

Send a message via AIM to cmherndon Send a message via Yahoo to cmherndon

Looks dark/oversaturated to me, and the composition leaves something to be desired. If it had been a sunny day, and you tried shooting maybe 20-30 feet to the left, that photo would probably be accepted (granted it's properly exposed and in focus).

Here's a few pointers...

1.) Sun always at your back, except when you're trying early morning and late evening glint shots with the sunrise and sunset.

2.) Don't be afraid to experiment with new angles and compositions. I liked your shot of the EJ&E (that's right I hope, but if it's not, feel free to correct me). If there was a way to get rid of that crossing gate in front of the locomotive, that would be a wonderful shot, maybe even more so from the other side of the tracks.

3.) Cloudy days won't give you optimal lighting. However, if you do shoot on a cloudy day, try using a telephoto lens and keep as much of the sky out as possible. Cloudy sky does nothing more than mess up your light meter, causing an underexposed shot.

4.) Don't take rejections personally. That gets you nowhere. Asking for advice on the forums is a good thing, since there are a lot of guys here who can give you excellent advice on photography.

5.) Don't give up. Eventually your photography will improve. Several weeks ago, I went through my photos in the database, and had 40-45 deleted. They were early shots I took, and as I went through I wonder why I uploaded them in the first place. I can honestly say that RP.net has helped me improve my photography (after many rejects). Just keep your head up and you'll improve.
cmherndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 08:34 PM   #10
RJSorensen

Number one is a NEAT photo . . . but not a good one. Too busy, the sun is on the bad side, shadows and dark blotches encumber your intent. You would have to crop out the reason you took the shot (catch 22).

Number two is just not good, it is half a shot, nothing can be done with it.

Number three . . . no comment.

Your new one . . . sky is to light, foreground, there is too much of it. Is it over saturated? I am not sure, taste differs. However white skies are or seem to be off limits . . . so don't even waste time on such. Shoot on blue bird days and or learn to expose your background while maintaining detail in your foreground.

Don't give up by any-means . . . get the formula down and go kill'em.

Please don't be mad for asking. Also it don't mean that I am right by any-means. It is you that must be pleased with your work.

Please click here should you wish to view a portion of my railroad photography . . .
RJSorensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 03:00 AM   #11
mtrails

I edited your photo's to give you a better idea of how they should be cropped or composed. Because of their size posted on the forum, and the amounts cropped out, these aren't porpotional, nor do they meet the minimum 800x600 size. This is just for your reference. First of all, please keep in mind the pointer's that have already been given to you by other members.

In this one, there is some distraction, and a lot of dead space. Now immagine this shot without the crossing gate in the photo. You could retry this shot by getting closer to the gate, where you could shoot from above or below it and omit it from the photo. Zooming in could also help. I don't know what camera you are using, and what kind of image settings it is capable of, but I prefer to shoot a photo exceeding 800x600 such as 1280x960, so I have room to crop the photo down to a minimum of 800x600. Notice now, the focal point is the train and the tower, but the gate is distracting.

In this one, there was far too much space in front of the train. This is how the photo should have been cropped/composed.

In this one, it's not bad, but I did cut some of the space from in front, and behind the train, as well as from the bottom. I also had to rotate it clockwise 1 degree. And again, the gate is somewhat of a distraction. As previously mentioned, if you were further to the left, you could have taken this shot, and not have the gate, and the weeded cement block in the photo.

mtrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 07:46 AM   #12
Ru1056

Here is one that I did in about 20 minutes. It is crude, but I think it is an improvement.

Billy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Train.jpg (90.8 KB, 133 views)
Old 04-28-2005, 03:03 AM   #13

Thanks MTRAIL and ru1056

Last edited by #3300; 05-03-2005 at 04:18 AM.