Old 08-27-2005, 02:53 PM   #1
4kV

Location: Homeless, alcoholic drifter with no permanent address
Default Night shot help

Hi all, I have really never tried night shots after 17 years of doing this rail photog thing. I gave it a whirl last night, something just didn't look right, and not surprisingly, both were rejected.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/sho...aspx?id=178209

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/sho...aspx?id=178206

Both were rejected for "Bad Color: Not enough color depth or too much color saturation." (I wish I knew which, not enough or too much, probably not enough color?)

Any advice would be appreciated. I have a feeling that the location, with its ballpark style sodium lighting, casts a terrible ugly yellow to everything. I guess there are ways around this in Photoshop playing with the color balance and what not?

I'm using a Canon Digital Rebel, so I have to think that my limitations are only from my own dumbassness, rather than the camera.

Click on n691lf.rrpicturearchives.net for a good laugh and waste of your time.

Last edited by 4kV; 08-27-2005 at 03:06 PM.
4kV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 03:17 PM   #2
E3429

Not sure what camera you're using, but can you adjust the white balance manually in camera? Also the top one looks slightly over exposed with the front of the 5127 being blown out like that. I try to shoot my night shots at like f7, f8. Seems to work ok for me, but I'm sure there are other opinions on that.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/sho...aspx?id=156217
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/sho...aspx?id=177967

These two were with two different cameras, the lower one being about a 10 sec. exposure at f7.1.

It's easy to over expose a shot particularly in a location with alot of artificial lighting. Keep messing with it til you find what'll work best for each situation.
E3429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 03:20 PM   #3
bnsf sammy

I think if you cropped out the UP loco behind Katy, that you might have a chance, because its the UP loco that is getting all that orange light. I would apeal the second.
Old 08-27-2005, 03:23 PM   #4
4kV

Thanks E. I have ammended my first post to include the camera I am using. I think these shots were ISO 400, f 7ish, 5 second exposure, somewhere in that neighborhood.

Yes, I can adjust the white balance on my camera.

Your shots look good, they have color. Mine look yellow. Your lightning shot from that location was great.

Last edited by 4kV; 08-27-2005 at 04:32 PM.
Old 08-27-2005, 03:24 PM   #5
4kV

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnsf sammy
I think if you cropped out the UP loco behind Katy, that you might have a chance, because its the UP loco that is getting all that orange light. I would apeal the second.
Yeah, on that unit, the Katy's full headlight was shining on it before they coupled them together. That is a problem. I am not planning to appeal either of these, or crop, or do anything else other than maybe fix the color, and most importantly, learn and try it again.

Old 08-27-2005, 06:44 PM   #6
E3429

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kV
I think these shots were ISO 400, f 7ish, 5 second exposure, somewhere in that neighborhood.
Your shots look good, they have color. Mine look yellow. Your lightning shot from that location was great.
If it's digital I'd shoot at a lower asa. This'll require a longer exposure, though. If the setting is there, try either tungston or flourescent on the white balance. Also try to take notes...something I preach rather than practice most of the time. Of course, with digital you can get an exif reader that takes notes for you after they're taken off the camera...

Thanks on the lightning shot. Out of 40 15 second exposures that night taken in that direction, I was only able to get ANY lightning in 3 of them! That was probably around exp. 30 something there. Patience paid off, I guess.

E
E3429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 07:48 PM   #7
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Send a message via AIM to hoydie17 Send a message via Yahoo to hoydie17

I don't know very much about night photos.

Can anyone here give a few tips? I've got a Nikon D70, I've experimented a few times with it at dark. But cannot seem to make any progress.

What are the "baseline" settings I should be working with? I know that it's going to vary based on the ambient light in the area, and stuff. But something that'll get me better lit shots than I'm getting now, and that I can work with?

What about auto-white balancing? Should I have it on or off?
What ISO setting do I need?
F-stops?
Exposure? (This I know will be affected by a moving train.)
Anything else I'm not thinking of?

I've got some friends that set these huge racks full of bulbs up and shoot the fast movers alot. Since I know I don't have the money for that equipment at this juncture, what are some things I can do with the trains I come across who are sitting still?

Thanks for any inputs,

Sean

Or if you want to see my work here at RP.net? Click here.

"It's just a damn train son!"
hoydie17 is offline   Reply With Quote