Old 06-01-2010, 05:07 PM   #26
JRMDC

Chris, you make valid points, but I think that having multiple shots taken of the same train at the same location is excessive; that to me is the bright line. (I do not recall crossing it myself, though you are welcome to peruse my shots, as I suppose it is possible and I just don't recall it. Especially in my earlier days.)

Some people shoot the same wedgie compositions day after day from the same location and that is maybe not as creative as some of us would like but it does fall within the social norm of RP. And perhaps there are separate rules/norms for photo charters. And perhaps radically different compositions of a stopped train might be OK. Nothing is hard and fast. But it seems to me that multiple shots of the same moving train from the same location cross some sort of an informal line. Not that it matters much, really, no one notices if they are submitted far apart.

To be clear, I am not saying, Chris, that you disagree with the above, rather that you narrow too much. I don't have a problem with Troy's set of shots as far as RP norms, although I might personally prefer he branch out more.

Actually, there are so many shots on RP, it doesn't matter that much what any one of us does.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 06-01-2010 at 05:24 PM.
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:25 PM   #27
cblaz

Duplicate post
Old 06-01-2010, 06:26 PM   #28
cblaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
It's bad form to upload multiple crops of the same scene or one that is very similar to the other one, choose 1.

People who do this is one of my big pet peeves here...
Quote:
Same RUN is one thing, same LOCATION is another. Do you really need to submit multiple crops of the same shot to help your shot count that much?
Quote:
Different train, different days, different power. Thanks for playing though...

I dont think I could have made my statement any more clear, but perhaps you are lacking severely in reading comprehension skills. Or maybe you are just blind and cant tell a C40-8 from a SD70MAC or a stack train from a coal train.

Just in case you are having a hard time comprehending what I am trying to say: "SAME TRAIN, SAME LOCATION, DIFFERENT CROP"
Actually, Troy, in your first two posts here about this issue, you never mentioned anything about the same train (see quotes #1 and #2). All you mention is same "scene" and same "location." It wasn't until quote #3 (after my post) that you mentioned anything about shooting the same train.

And, just to provoke you more, in the two shots below, you technically did shoot the same train (Amtrak's Silver Star) at the same location (Lakeland) with the same power (a GE P42).

Image © Troy Nolen
PhotoID: 323234
Photograph © Troy Nolen

Image © Troy Nolen
PhotoID: 320509
Photograph © Troy Nolen

- Chris
Old 06-01-2010, 07:49 PM   #29
troy12n
Banned

PhotoID: 320509 Amtrak 125 on train 91 April 2
PhotoID: 323234 Amtrak 87 on train 91 May 2

My point was, and it was backed up by Joe and Janus I think, was people taking pictures of the same physical train at the same location cropped differently.

You may have a point if I took one of those Amtrak pictures of the same exact train, the same day from the same location and had a "loose crop" and a "tight crop" of the same uncropped scene.

Those are not the same train, although they are the same location more or less. You wanna go back under your bridge now mr troll?
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:08 PM   #30
Joe the Photog

Troy;

Never having been there myself, is this the only angle and shot you could get of an Amtrak train at this location? It may be a different train and different engine number, but the differences between the shots stop there. That kinda jumps out at me. It would be easy to understand if one shot was led by a GE and another led by an F40 or something.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:42 PM   #31
troy12n
Banned

You are absolutely right, I will give you that.

What I was doing was pointing out to the OP my opinion on not doing multiple crops or shots of the same train. How it escalated into this and calling out my pics is pretty despicable. You know as well as I do that there are some really bad offenders who do this with regularity, and I am not one of them. The fact that I have 2 shots in the same location is just being used as an excuse by blznak to call me out.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:39 PM   #32
cblaz

Quote:
My point was, and it was backed up by Joe and Janus I think, was people taking pictures of the same physical train at the same location cropped differently.

Those are not the same train, although they are the same location more or less. You wanna go back under your bridge now mr troll?
Quote:
What I was doing was pointing out to the OP my opinion on not doing multiple crops or shots of the same train. The fact that I have 2 shots in the same location is just being used as an excuse by blznak to call me out.
I am not "calling you out." In your initial posts about disliking this practice, you never said anything about posting multiple shots of the same train, just the same location. (See my previous posts for your two initial quotes.) Only after I pointed out your shots did you adjust your statement and start mentioning an issue with multiple shots of the same train.

- Chris
/And, no matter how much you argue, the Amtrak shots are still shots of the same train, the Silver Star.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:03 AM   #33
=SPETER=

Oh gosh... I just opened a can of worms. Sorry for hitting anyone's pet peeves. The first picture was submitted because I wasn't sure if they would accept the grass or not so I went for one without the foreground. I originally wanted just the 2nd shot because of the S-Curve. I uploaded it to the forum for kicks and giggles... turns out Jim said the 2nd shot was an even better photo so I submitted it also. I don't want to make it a common practice for location or same train photos, out where I'm at I have hundreds of miles of great photo locations and at least 80 trains that I could photograph a day... you won't see that from me in the future.
=SPETER= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:55 AM   #34
coborn35

Interesting topic.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG

Last edited by coborn35; 06-02-2010 at 02:29 AM.
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 02:21 AM   #35
Dennis A. Livesey

Touché Chris!

En garde Troy!

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:58 AM   #36
MichaelJ
The Photo Journalist

I have also sometimes used the 'same location, same train, different crop' methodology when the train is stopped. For example, front-on view, three-quarter wedge, arty farty ... maybe a cab shot ...

That's vastly different to 'lots of zoom, little bit of zoom' rule while the train is moving ... they're very similar crops, the above mentioned are not.

The views expressed in this reply are personal and do not represent the views or policy of my employer.
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote