Old 11-06-2018, 03:03 AM   #1
Joseph Cermak

Default 7 Day Viewing: Composition

Captured this shot of a whitetail buck darting in front of a CSX intermodal train, unfortunately, nature didn't cooperate and time things right for a perfect composition. While it doesn't follow the ROT exactly (Train in upper left instead of lower right), I thought the wildlife element would be something different to make it worth consideration, while still keeping what I find to be a pleasing composition. If anyne has suggestions on composition, I'd be interested to hear them, but it doesn't like RP wants any adjustments. Oh well...

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...12&key=8800866

Last edited by Joseph Cermak; 11-06-2018 at 03:05 AM.
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 03:21 AM   #2
miningcamper1

"...cannot be corrected." First time I've seen that one.

If this was mine, those wires would need to go. I suppose an experienced photoshopper would move the deer much closer to the engine, but since RP would be on to that, DOA

Oh, still nice the way you caught the deer in mid-leap!

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/

Last edited by miningcamper1; 11-06-2018 at 03:01 PM. Reason: addition
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 02:10 PM   #3
ShortlinesUSA

That message says "Not getting on" to me. It's the first time I've seen it, as well. I don't know if that means the door is closed regardless of any change that is made (such as the wires being cropped out, and those really jumped out and caught my eye, as well).

There have been a good number of neat wildlife catches over the years. I think if your subject had cut it a bit tighter (but honestly glad he didn't) you would have really had an interesting shot. Bad pun, but too much dead space between the train and deer.

I'd let it go, especially given the second part of the message. Might be a quick trip to losing appeal privileges.

Image © Frank Orona
PhotoID: 668428
Photograph © Frank Orona

Shortline and Regional RR forum moderator

Last edited by ShortlinesUSA; 11-07-2018 at 03:21 AM.
ShortlinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 02:16 PM   #4
RobJor

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
"...cannot be corrected." First time I've seen that one.

If this was mine, those wires would need to go. I suppose an experienced photoshopper would move the deer much closer to the engine, but since RP would be on to that...

Oh, still nice the way you caught the deer in mid-leap!
"Words Matter". Phrasing of rejection is an improvement, may replace(partially) PAQ rejection which I thought was poorly worded. . Second is just a recrop.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	deerRev.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	694.6 KB
ID:	9666   Click image for larger version

Name:	deerRev-2.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	9667  

Last edited by RobJor; 11-06-2018 at 02:22 PM. Reason: new image
RobJor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 03:34 PM   #5
Grewup on the CW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Cermak View Post
Captured this shot of a whitetail buck darting in front of a CSX....pleasing composition. If anyne has suggestions on composition, I'd be interested to hear them, but it doesn't like RP wants any adjustments. Oh well...

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...12&key=8800866
I like the shot but there is a bit of dead space unfortunately between the loco and the buck, like you said nothing you can control. For whatever reason the screener just dont like it and killed your pic with "Cannot be corrected...."

I've received that on this pic after the first rejection of composition. I re-cropped and RP killed with cloudy and cannot be fixed. I knew it would be a likeable shot and about a year later someone else got it on at a different angle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RFP1002ZOOMRP2.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	9668  
Grewup on the CW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 04:02 PM   #6
RobJor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewup on the CW View Post
I like the shot but there is a bit of dead space unfortunately between the loco and the buck, like you said nothing you can control. For whatever reason the screener just dont like it and killed your pic with "Cannot be corrected...."

I've received that on this pic after the first rejection of composition. I re-cropped and RP killed with cloudy and cannot be fixed. I knew it would be a likeable shot and about a year later someone else got it on at a different angle.
That rejection and other subsequent 2 accepted which I found would make me very sour. I think yours is clearly better. If there is any lesson I guess you should have taken more angles so you could have had more to chose from. Then, not give up, Come back again after a few months. I have a lot which I tweaked a little and came back after a suitable time.

I find it funny, wrecked s--- always does good and gets repeated as does museum stuff.

Bob
Old 11-06-2018, 04:19 PM   #7
Grewup on the CW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
That rejection and other subsequent 2 accepted which I found would make me very sour. I think yours is clearly better. If there is any lesson I guess you should have taken more angles so you could have had more to chose from. Then, not give up, Come back again after a few months. I have a lot which I tweaked a little and came back after a suitable time.

I find it funny, wrecked s--- always does good and gets repeated as does museum stuff.

Bob

Will it did make me rather sour, but I got over it, planned another trip back to Roanoke. We went to the museum did all that stuff again and was heading to the car to go collected some updated shots when all the sudden my grandson threw up everywhere and started running a fever. Welp needless to say I cancelled the rest of the day and headed back home. While driving the 1.5 hours trip back home I thought, well we just come back and try again. Grandson caught a 3 day bug. He got better and soon after that RP accepted a pic of #1002 and well I got sour all over again but I got over. More to life than holding a grudge. But just chimed in to say that the " Cannot be corrected...." is not new, at least for me.
Old 11-06-2018, 05:29 PM   #8
bigbassloyd

I think the "cannot be corrected" statement is a great idea.

Loyd L.
Old 11-06-2018, 05:43 PM   #9
RobJor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewup on the CW View Post
Will it did make me rather sour, but I got over it, planned another trip back to Roanoke. We went to the museum did all that stuff again and was heading to the car to go collected some updated shots when all the sudden my grandson threw up everywhere and started running a fever. Welp needless to say I cancelled the rest of the day and headed back home. While driving the 1.5 hours trip back home I thought, well we just come back and try again. Grandson caught a 3 day bug. He got better and soon after that RP accepted a pic of #1002 and well I got sour all over again but I got over. More to life than holding a grudge. But just chimed in to say that the " Cannot be corrected...." is not new, at least for me.
Yea, not to make you feel worse but in the past there have been comparisons and often the comparison is not valid but here it is so obvious and then got so many views. I tend to remember.

Bob

Last edited by RobJor; 11-06-2018 at 06:17 PM.
Old 11-06-2018, 06:35 PM   #10
Grewup on the CW

Quote:
Yea, not to make you feel worse but in the past there have been comparisons and often the comparison is not valid but here it is so obvious and then got so many views. I tend to remember.

Bob
Well there is two pics of it on RP, both by the same person, taken at different times. His first was in Feb, my was March (only a year earlier) and the lighting is just about the same, we both have clouds. His second was in July. His pics got 4993 and 7623 views. Ironically the loco is still sitting in the same spot, he just grabbed his from the other side of the tracks, which is really no advantage considering the position of the sun. But hey life goes on....
Thanks for the complement on my pic.
Old 11-07-2018, 12:07 AM   #11
Decapod401

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
I think the "cannot be corrected" statement is a great idea.

Loyd L.
I agree. One of my pet peeves has long been getting a correctible rejection only to have the corrected submission killed with a PAQ or other killer rejection. This should save the submitter reprocessing time, and upload slots, which are limited to two per day for some of us.

My RP Pics are HERE.

I've now got a Flickr. account, too.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 03:50 PM   #12
RobJor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decapod401 View Post
I agree. One of my pet peeves has long been getting a correctible rejection only to have the corrected submission killed with a PAQ or other killer rejection. This should save the submitter reprocessing time, and upload slots, which are limited to two per day for some of us.
I don't believe that ever happened to you!!! I assume I was singled out, smile.

Thinking of some of mine, I thought the original was OK. what bugs me is making changes I didn't believe in probably made it worse and then the rejection was warranted.

Bob
Old 11-07-2018, 09:11 PM   #13
Decapod401

Quote:
I don't believe that ever happened to you!!! I assume I was singled out, smile.

Thinking of some of mine, I thought the original was OK. what bugs me is making changes I didn't believe in probably made it worse and then the rejection was warranted.

Bob
In my case, the initial rejections were generally warranted and could be corrected, but the killer reason was apparent in the initial submission, and could have been applied immediately.

Now the screener can select the first rejection reason that strikes him and let the photographer know that it has other issues that don't cut it for RP. Streamlines the process for all involved.

My RP Pics are HERE.

Old 11-08-2018, 12:04 PM   #14
RobJor

Quote:
In my case, the initial rejections were generally warranted and could be corrected, but the killer reason was apparent in the initial submission, and could have been applied immediately.

Now the screener can select the first rejection reason that strikes him and let the photographer know that it has other issues that don't cut it for RP. Streamlines the process for all involved.
Are you still in Chicago? Going to Beecherfest in Milwaukee on Friday?

On another note, I thought this was a little interesting. Bob

Image © Doug Lilly
PhotoID: 676627
Photograph © Doug Lilly

Image © Robert Jordan
PhotoID: 672020
Photograph © Robert Jordan
Old 11-08-2018, 11:08 PM   #15
Decapod401

Quote:
Are you still in Chicago? Going to Beecherfest in Milwaukee on Friday?
I was there from Monday - Wednesday, but flew home last night. I won't be up again until after Thanksgiving.

Quote:
On another note, I thought this was a little interesting. Bob

Image © Doug Lilly
PhotoID: 676627
Photograph © Doug Lilly

Image © Robert Jordan
PhotoID: 672020
Photograph © Robert Jordan
You never knew what you were going to find when you got to Elizabethport, although I didn't get to visit until the post-Conrail days. Quite a coincidence that of all the RS3's that CNJ had, you found that one there.

My RP Pics are HERE.

Old 11-09-2018, 02:02 PM   #16
bigbassloyd

Any chance of me running into one or both of you January 6th-10th? I'll be at the Schaumburg Train show, and doing some choo choo foamertography as well.

Loyd L.
Old 11-09-2018, 05:05 PM   #17
Decapod401

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
Any chance of me running into one or both of you January 6th-10th? I'll be at the Schaumburg Train show, and doing some choo choo foamertography as well.

Loyd L.
It's a little early in my work schedule to determine, but let's talk mid-December. I will probably be there during some of those days - would be great to meet you.

My RP Pics are HERE.

Old 11-09-2018, 05:19 PM   #18
RobJor

Quote:
It's a little early in my work schedule to determine, but let's talk mid-December. I will probably be there during some of those days - would be great to meet you.
I will be home that week(marengo, IL). Retired so timing should not be a problem.

Bob

Last edited by RobJor; 11-09-2018 at 08:41 PM.