Old 07-11-2009, 05:00 PM   #1
nwritchey
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 35
Default On camera flash

I partook in one of my many other passions last night and went to the race track. While there saw several photogs in the infield recording the events of the night. There were several there that were using a camera mounted flash that appeared to be on a pole and at the top where the light was had the old style reflector ring around it.

Anybody able to tell me what it was they were using?


Thanks

nate
nwritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 06:05 PM   #2
Walter S
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 1,023
Send a message via AIM to Walter S
Default

I HATE using flash for motorsports, but it is sometimes necessary. I would say that they were using some kind of diffuser. Depending on how well lit the track is and your equipment you can usually get around using a flash. For events such as Nascar, where the tracks have great lighting, there is no need for flash.
__________________
Walter Scriptunas II
Scriptunasimages.com
Walter S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 06:46 PM   #3
nwritchey
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 35
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter S View Post
I HATE using flash for motorsports, but it is sometimes necessary. I would say that they were using some kind of diffuser. Depending on how well lit the track is and your equipment you can usually get around using a flash. For events such as Nascar, where the tracks have great lighting, there is no need for flash.
It was a 3/8 mile dirt track running USAC sprints.
nwritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 06:49 PM   #4
Walter S
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 1,023
Send a message via AIM to Walter S
Default

Which track is it?
__________________
Walter Scriptunas II
Scriptunasimages.com
Walter S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 08:36 PM   #5
nwritchey
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 35
Default

Lawrenceburg Speedway on the West side of Cincinnati. In Lawerenceburg, Indiana
nwritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 09:31 PM   #6
TheRoadForeman
Banned
 
TheRoadForeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 640
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwritchey View Post
I partook in one of my many other passions last night and went to the race track. While there saw several photogs in the infield recording the events of the night. There were several there that were using a camera mounted flash that appeared to be on a pole and at the top where the light was had the old style reflector ring around it.

Anybody able to tell me what it was they were using?


Thanks

nate
Probably using a Stroboframe bracket and a Quantum or Metz flash setup. Could be a BetterBeamer snoot/ flash extender also. Hard to tell without a pic of their flash solution.
TheRoadForeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 09:54 PM   #7
nwritchey
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 35
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoadForeman View Post
Hard to tell without a pic of their flash solution.
Unfortunaly I did not carry the camera in with me so the only shots I have are off of a cell phone.
nwritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.