Old 03-11-2007, 04:13 AM   #1
Ween

Default Wrong hobby?

This week I got to thinking I might be in the wrong hobby. Or at least as it relates to photography, maybe I'm shooting the wrong subject.

For instance, as it stands right now, I have 565 photos in the database at Railpicutres. Of those, none are a Screener's Choice let alone a Photo of the Week.

But this week my 5th and 6th photos in the Jetphotos database were selected as Screener's Choices, and one of which was further selected as the Photo of the Week! Check 'em out:

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=5929773
http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=5933372

So, maybe I'll just switch subjects and drop trains altogether. Or on second thought, no way!!

Old 03-11-2007, 06:07 AM   #2
Lee Baxter

Hi Chris ,hope this goes well being my first post. Your jet photos are great well worth screeners choice. Why not try air to train photography, this style of photography seems to get a lot of attention. Your rail photography is also great, dont let getting a screeners choice dishearten you as nice as it would be.
Regards Lee Baxter
Lee Baxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 06:47 AM   #3
Ween

Quote:
Your rail photography is also great, dont let getting a screeners choice dishearten you as nice as it would be.
Hi, Lee, and thanks. Not having a Screener's Choice or PotW on RP doesn't bother me one iota; it's never been a goal. The ones I got on JP are simply a matter of me having an opportunity to take shots like that which 99% of the general population doesn't have access to, so it's almost like fishing with dynamite in a sense. Your situation and surroundings, it's the nature of the beast when it comes to SC/PotW both here and there.

As far as air-to-train photography, I'm available for hire if anyone wants to go...I just need to get spun up again in those bug smashers I'm trying so hard to avoid all the time!
Old 03-11-2007, 10:21 AM   #4
Drewster

Nice photos, i am guessing you are in the USAF? if so thats awsome! I tried uploading photos to jetphotos, havent even gotten one accepted, so i dont know what to tell you, except keep at it! Hobby is a hobby is a hobby, photography is a very versitile hobby, much subjects to work on, some come more naturally than others! i find some of my nature photos or better than my rail photos, wish there was a naturepictures.net. LOL.. J/K Stick with both, remember, Good photography, much like beauty is in the eye of the beholder, not just a rp.net screener!
Drewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 11:48 PM   #5
trainmonster

Gad, no wonder... they're beautiful shots! Especially the F-22. How many of us frustrated fighter pilots (video games only) would have access to that?

I'd like to think I'm pretty good at this; I never got SC or PC either... it would be nice but I don't live out west where there's sun all the time...

Rich
Old 03-12-2007, 04:56 AM   #6
WembYard

Stunning photos, but don't give up the railroad photography . Enjoyment should be the main factor, even though a bit of recognition is nice.
WembYard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 07:52 PM   #7
Alan

Chris, judging by the amount of photos on jetphotos compared to the amount on RP, in MY OPINION (don't be sending me all kinds of hate responses) it seems like RP is much more picky in the pictures they post. 565 pictures are alot. You should be happy with that many pictures on here. You have some great shots on here. I'm still working on my first.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 08:01 PM   #8
JRMDC

Well, Alan, in the over two years since this thread had previously been active, Chris has managed to finally get an SC and perhaps other stuff as well.

Image © Chris Paulhamus
PhotoID: 277654
Photograph © Chris Paulhamus

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 04:14 AM   #9
Ween

When I saw the Title of the thread and that I was the thread starter, I was thinking, "What?!? When did I do that?" But, yeah, 2+ years old...lots has changed.

For one, I uploaded one more shot to JP.net...that happened to be a SC too:
http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=5983595

This statement's a little dated too:
Quote:
As far as air-to-train photography, I'm available for hire if anyone wants to go...I just need to get spun up again in those bug smashers I'm trying so hard to avoid all the time!
Now I fly those bug smashers. I'm hoping my next JP shot will be of the USAF's latest plane which will also happen to have a certain photog's name stenciled on the side.

And as J pointed out, I had only been in CO for 3 months before I got my first RP SC. It all goes back to this statement:
Quote:
Your situation and surroundings, it's the nature of the beast when it comes to SC/PotW both here and there.
Did my photography magically change when I moved here in January? Nope, but the scenery sure did. It's much nicer on the eyes here than eastern ND/western MN and that's the difference maker. It's all about scenery sometimes, not skill...
Old 07-07-2009, 01:26 AM   #10
round_house

Hey Chris
Keep those Joint Line shots coming
and don't forget the DRGW unit you bagged in Cheyenne
a couple of weeks ago?

http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=21721
round_house is offline   Reply With Quote