Old 06-01-2014, 04:54 PM   #1
Chris Kilroy
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris Kilroy
Default Updated Rejection Reasons

Hi everyone,

As I promised a couple weeks ago, we have updated/modified our "reasons for rejection" in an attempt to be more detailed and clear about what we're thinking during the screening process. These changes went into effect last evening.

In the spirit of transparency, and because none of you will hopefully ever see any of these firsthand , I'm sharing the complete updated list here.

------

Bad Angle: The angle from which the image was composed is poor. This can include extreme angles below or above the subject, uninteresting angles on roster shots, and images in which the train is going away from the viewer.

becomes

Angle (Going Away): Photos in which the train is traveling away from the photographer, or roster shots focusing on the rear of the subject, are generally not accepted. Exceptions are made for artistic and/or unique images.

Angle (Extreme): The angle from which the image was composed is awkward and/or extreme, usually meaning that the photo was taken from too far below or above the subject.

------

Blurry

becomes

Blurry: The subject of the image is blurry, which is most often caused by too much camera movement or an insufficient shutter speed setting.

------

Bad Color: Not enough color depth or too much color saturation.

becomes

Color (Hue): The hue (color cast) of the photo is poor; i.e. there is too much of a certain color throughout the image. Please see the screener comments field for suggestions on how this may be fixed.

Color (Saturation High): The image features too much color saturation, making the colors look overly vivid and unrealistic.

Color (Saturation Low): The image does not have enough color saturation, making the colors look flat and bland.

------

Bad Contrast: The image suffers from either too much or too little contrast

becomes

Contrast (Low): The contrast (relative difference between light/dark areas) is too low, making the image look washed out.

Contrast (High): The contrast (relative difference between light/dark areas) is too high, making the image lose its tonal depth.

------

Copyright Too Large: Please limit the size/length of text that you place on your images; text too large detracts from the overall image.

unchanged

------

Bad Cropping (Edges): There are visible scan edges, slide frames, etc. in the uploaded image.

changed to

Processing (Edges): There are visible scan edges, slide frames, or unremoved white backgrounds in the image. Images containing artificial borders are also not accepted.

------

Too Much Compression: Using too much JPEG compression when saving pixelates the image.

becomes

Too Much Compression: Saving your image with too much JPEG compression has caused the image to become very pixelated. This can often be accompanied by noticeable blotches in the sky. Try saving your image at your photo editor's highest image quality setting.

------

Part of Subject Cut Off/Missing

unchanged

------

Front Coupled: Roster shots with front coupled locomotives are generally not accepted.

becomes

Front Coupled: Roster shots with front coupled locomotives, as well as tightly composed photos of locomotives coupled in the middle of a consist, are generally not accepted. This reason may also apply to photos where end of train helper/pusher locomotives are front coupled against the train.

------

Horizon Unlevel: Try leveling the image in your photo editing software.

becomes

Horizon Unlevel (Leaning Left): The horizon of the image is leaning to the left, and needs to be corrected with clockwise rotation. A level horizon, in most cases, should be ascertained by ensuring that an object which is known to be vertical, such as a structure, nearest to the center of the frame aligns with the grid lines in your photo editor.

Horizon Unlevel (Leaning Right): The horizon of the image is leaning to the right, and needs to be corrected with counterclockwise rotation. A level horizon, in most cases, should be ascertained by ensuring that an object which is known to be vertical, such as a structure, nearest to the center of the frame aligns with the grid lines in your photo editor.

------

Heat Distortion: Visible image distortion caused by heat waves.

unchanged

------

Poor lighting (Backlit): The image is backlit or doesn't feature enough light on the nose or visible sides of the subject.

becomes

Backlit (Nose): The nose of the lead unit is too dark due to backlighting. (Removed reference to 50% to give us a little more flexibility)

Backlit (Side): The visible side of the train does not feature enough light.

------

Poor lighting (Cloudy): Common angle cloudy day shots of common/standard power are generally not accepted.

becomes

Lighting (Cloudy): Cloudy day shots of common/standard power, as well as cloudy images of common/standard angles and scenes, are generally not accepted.

------

Lighting (Dark): The image is too dark.

unchanged

------

Poor Lighting (High Sun): The angle of the sunlight is too high, a common problem in the summer months of year on mid-day shots.

becomes

Lighting (High Sun): The angle of the sunlight is too high, a common problem during midday hours during the summer. High sun is considered to be present when there are extended shadows on the underframe of the train, the plow, long vertical grab iron shadows, and generally harsh light on the visible vertical surfaces of the train.

------

Digitally Manipulated

becomes

Digitally Manipulated: The image has been modified so that it no longer represents the original scene. Examples of manipulation include the cloning (removal) of light poles, wires, fences, people, etc. as well as the digital introduction of elements that were not present in the original image.

------

Too Much Noise/Grain: Noise is the digital equivalent of grain.

unchanged

------

Obstructing Objects (Foreground Clutter)

becomes

Clutter (Foreground): The image contains unsightly clutter (fences, trees, weeds, etc.) which is either obstructing part of the train, or is large enough to detract from the overall image.

Clutter (Background): The photo contains clutter behind the train/subject which detracts from the overall image. Examples include large poles, antennae, etc. "growing" from the top of the train, or
background structures which do not contrast well with the subject in the foreground.

------

Overexposed

becomes

Overexposed: The image is overexposed (too bright). This occurs when too much light is exposed to the camera sensor/film when the image was captured.

------

Underexposed

becomes

Underexposed: The image is underexposed (too dark). This occurs when not enough light is exposed to the camera sensor/film when the image was captured.

------

Oversharpened

becomes

Oversharpened: The image suffers from excessive sharpening, meaning that straight lines (such as handrails, edges, and cheatlines) often appear very jagged.

------

Scan (Dirty): Visible dirt or dust on scan

becomes

Scan (Dirty): This scanned image contains visible dirt, dust, hair, etc. This can be fixed either by cleaning the slide/print and re-scanning, or using the clone tool in a photo editing program to remove the dirt.

------

Distracting Shadows

becomes

Distracting Shadows: Shadows are being cast onto the train/subject by trees, structures, caternary poles, etc. This rejection can also apply when, during early morning/late evening shots, the surrounding landscape is illuminated by the sun but the subject of the image is in shadows (such as a shaded cut, valley or gorge).

------

Size (Small): Photo does not meet the minimum pixel size requirements outlined on the Photo Submission page.

unchanged

------

Size (Dimensions): The photo is either too narrow vertically or horizontally. For normal landscape images, our recommended height for a 1024 pixel wide image is 680 to 768 pixels.

becomes

Size (Dimensions): In most cases, our prefered image aspect ratio is anywhere between 4:3 and 16:9 (1024x683-768, or 1200x800-900 pixels). Exceptions are made for images shot on older square-format film, or where the unusual aspect ratio has been applied for artistic/creative reasons.

------

Undersharpened (Soft)

becomes

Undersharpened (Soft): The image is soft, meaning that straight lines such as handrails, train edges, etc. appear fuzzy. Most digital photos 'come out of the camera' soft, which is different than being blurry, and can normally be corrected with additional sharpening (and selective sharpening, where required) in a photo editing program.

------

Double Upload

becomes

Double Upload: You have already submitted this photo to the database.

------

Bad Filename: Using characters other than A-Z and 0-9 in your filename can cause problems with our system.

replaced with

File Error: Something seems to have gone wrong during the submission of your image. Please try sending your image again.

------

Similar to Previous Photo

becomes

Similar to Previous Photo: This image is very similar to another photo (or photos) already published on RailPictures.Net. Please note that we try to offer our viewers a good overall variety of photography, so this can be applied to similar photos other photographers have already submitted, especially from high profile events or when a large group of railfans was shooting the same train from the same or similar angles.

------

Uncorrected Reupload: This image appears to be an uncorrected resubmission of a previously rejected photo. You are welcome to reupload images as long as you have made improvements to them, but reuploading an uncorrected image is a violation of our user agreement. Please do not let this be a problem in the future.

becomes

Uncorrected Reupload: This image appears to be an uncorrected resubmission of a previously rejected photo. When resubmitting a rejected photo with corrections, please leave a note in the 'Comments to Screeners' field so that we can more easily see what changes you have made to the image.

------

Banned: Your upload privileges have been revoked by the Editors of RailPictures.Net. Please e-mail the editors if you believe you have been banned in error.

unchanged

------

Poor Image Quality

becomes

Poor Image Quality: The overall image quality of this image is below the standard which we wish to maintain for RailPictures.Net. This photo should not be resubmitted for consideration.

------

Poor Esthetic Quality: This rejection reason means that the photo is of low esthetic qualities, or is simply not the type of material we are wishing to publish.

becomes

Poor Aesthetic Quality: This rejection means that the photo is of low aesthetic qualities, does not contain enough rail-related content, or is simply not the type of material we wish to publish.

------

Trespassing: RailPictures.Net discourages trespassing on railroad property, and we make it a practice to reject photos where trespassing is obvious or where the photographer was in an obviously dangerous situation. If you are a railroad employee, otherwise had permission to be on railroad property when this photo was taken, or feel that we have made a mistake, please resubmit the image and include a note to the screeners explaining the specific circumstances.

new

------

Bad Info: The locomotive/railroad/location or other data you entered for the photo is incorrect.

unchanged

------

Composition/Balance: The composition of this photo is poor relating to the overall balance of the image.

changed to

Composition (Too Tight): The image is too tightly composed, meaning that there is not enough space between the subject and the edges of the photo.

Composition (Too Loose): The image is too loosely composed, meaning that there is excessive dead/empty space between the subject and the edges of the photo.

Composition (Balance): The subject is awkwardly positioned in the frame. RailPictures.Net prefers that images are composed in keeping with the 'Rule of Thirds' meaning that, in most circumstances, the focal point of the image should not be directly in the center of the frame, or too close to any of the edges.

------

Subject Too Far Away: The train is too far in the distance.

unchanged

------

Sensor Dust: This image has visible sensor dust spots. These can usually be removed via the clone tool in post-processing.

changed to

Sensor Dust: This image has visible sensor dust spots, which generally show up as fuzzy dark spots/blobs in the sky. These can usually be removed via the clone tool in a photo editor.

------

Overprocessed: The photo appears to suffer from either excessive use of a grain removal tool, leading to a washed out oil-painted look, or overuse of the shadow/highlight tool in Photoshop, which can give the image a 'fake' appearance and create halos around darker objects.

changed to

Overprocessed (Noise Removal): This photo appears to suffer from excessive use of a noise/grain removal tool or filter, which can lead to a washed out, oil-painted look.

Overprocessed (S/H): The photo suffers from overuse of the shadow/highlight (or similar) tool in your photo editing software, which can give the image an unnatural appearance as well as lead to noticeable halos between darker and lighter areas of the image, such as the borders between an object and a blue sky.

------

Lens Flare: The photo suffers from lens flare, a common problem in low light situations where the locomotive headlights cause undesired glare and artifacts to show up on the image.

changed to

Lens Flare: The photo suffers from lens flare, a common problem in low light situations where the locomotive headlights (or other light sources, such as street lamps) cause undesired glare and artifacts to show up on the image.

------

Open Nose Door: Open nose doors on trains led by wide/safety cab locomotives are considered distracting and are generally not accepted unless the open door is an important part of the overall scene such as a crew change, etc.

new
- View My Photos at JetPhotos.Net!
Chris Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 05:32 PM   #2
coborn35

Really disappointed in the Open Nose Door. Its stupid, to be honest. Trains run with open cab doors sometimes, that's railroading. To say they shouldn't be included is just silly.

Love all the other changes but to reject something based on a decision a train crew made is short sighted and petty.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 05:39 PM   #3
JimThias

Nice changes. Hopefully this clears things up for some of the confused.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 05:59 PM   #4
Chris Kilroy
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
Really disappointed in the Open Nose Door. Its stupid, to be honest. Trains run with open cab doors sometimes, that's railroading. To say they shouldn't be included is just silly.

Love all the other changes but to reject something based on a decision a train crew made is short sighted and petty.
The open nose door "rule" has been applied for years, but was included with PEQ. It now has its own reason to avoid confusion.

You're right, trains run with open nose doors sometimes. They also run under gloomy overcast, away from the sun, through shadowed cuts, etc. etc. etc. A lot of things in the hobby are completely out of the photographer's control, but can still ruin an image. On today's modern widecabs, this is one of them.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:01 PM   #5
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Send a message via AIM to hoydie17 Send a message via Yahoo to hoydie17

Surely a step in the right direction. I sorta agree about the nose door thing, pretty ticky-tack reason to snub a photo over.

These will go a long way to help the various contributors that I hear bitch and moan about this site all the time.

Or if you want to see my work here at RP.net? Click here.

"It's just a damn train son!"
hoydie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:03 PM   #6
Mberry

Really glad about these changes too. I do agree with Coborn35 that the nose door rejection doesn't make that much sense to me.
Mberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:04 PM   #7
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mberry View Post
Really glad about these changes too. I do agree with Coborn35 that the nose door rejection doesn't make that much sense to me.
Well, train crews now have a sure way to piss off lots of Railfans now...

Old 06-01-2014, 06:11 PM   #8
Chris Kilroy
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoydie17 View Post
If RP is so popular that train crews are browsing our list of rejections looking for ways to piss off railfans, then I think our job here is done!

Seriously, though, this rule has been in place for years. We would just give the image a PEQ and include a note about the open nose door. It's only applied on widecabs (one hardly even notices it on a standard cab locomotive) where the open door genuinely detracts from the shot.

I think the fact that none of you guys knew the rule even existed speaks to how often we actually have to apply it.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:17 PM   #9
Mberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kilroy View Post
If RP is so popular that train crews are browsing our list of rejections looking for ways to piss off railfans, then I think our job here is done!

Seriously, though, this rule has been in place for years. We would just give the image a PEQ and include a note about the open nose door. It's only applied on widecabs (one hardly even notices it on a standard cab locomotive) where the open door genuinely detracts from the shot.

I think the fact that none of you guys knew the rule even existed speaks to how often we actually have to apply it.
Not for me, I've never submitted one because another RP contributor told me it's an automatic rejection....
Mberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:17 PM   #10
bigbassloyd

-mutters something about wide angle distortion rejection and walks away-

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:21 PM   #11
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Quote:

In daylight I've been known to ask crews to shut doors if the opportunity presents itself. At night, nine out of ten times the crew knows I'm there and prepares accordingly.

If it's a plain jane "common power" it's pretty much likely that I won't take the shot anyways.

But I have seen photos where an open nose door is a travesty of a reason to can a photo. I had one with an open nose door accepted a few years back, not sure if I've since had it deleted, and it's too difficult to search from my phone.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Last edited by hoydie17; 06-01-2014 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Never mind, found it.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:30 PM   #12
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Cool A new super elite service?

Good step in the right direction, and I applaud RP's effort to respond to complaints that reflect one of major major issues here. I would throw out one more thought for consideration by RP. One thing that would almost make a rejection a joyous occasion would be a personal note from the screener. Now we know that is probably not practical in general due to the volume of images screened. But maybe that could be one of the privileges associated with elite membership. I suspect it would sell a lot more elite memberships. And could be a valuable service to some of the newer photogs who need help. Perhaps it could even be a super elite service at a higher price. Just an idea.
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:27 PM   #13
lalam

Quote:

Poor Image Quality

becomes

Poor Image Quality: The overall image quality of this image is below the standard which we wish to maintain for RailPictures.Net. This photo should not be resubmitted for consideration.
Not sure about how many Poor quality images pour in everyday in front of the screeners but in my opinion, sometimes, PIQ can be due to bad processing. Hence instead of the text "this photo should not be resubmitted for consideration" , you may write "Resubmit the image ONLY if resubmitted one is better than this". (or something similar). This will give at least one more chance for the submitter.
lalam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:31 PM   #14
MagnumForce

Wait, are we finally spelling it aesthetic?!? This is a huge step forward LOL

Oh yeah the other changes are good as well.

Old 06-01-2014, 07:33 PM   #15
MagnumForce

Quote:
I had the ENGINEER of a train coming off the lower bridge on the Toledo Terminal run down and open up the door while moving in an attempt to mess up my shots. I really don't give a crap so I was sure to go shoot that train 5 other times as it traversed the Terminal to Walbridge just to make sure he was good and pissed off. Crews have been doing this for a long time now.

Last edited by MagnumForce; 06-01-2014 at 07:36 PM.
MagnumForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:00 PM   #16
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForce View Post
I had the ENGINEER of a train coming off the lower bridge on the Toledo Terminal run down and open up the door while moving in an attempt to mess up my shots. I really don't give a crap so I was sure to go shoot that train 5 other times as it traversed the Terminal to Walbridge just to make sure he was good and pissed off. Crews have been doing this for a long time now.
A Penn Central fireman (or whatever the left side guy was at that time) on the Buffalo Line took a disliking to me and displayed his middle finger every time he spotted me up the line. Maybe someone caught him sleeping or reading a newspaper in a photo prior to this? Anyway, thanks to Photoshop I can perform an amputation!
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:51 PM   #17
CSX1702

I think the open door rejection is a good example of rejecting something because you personally don't like it. No one else seems to find it that distracting.

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
CSX1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:52 PM   #18
JRMDC

Great to see these changes!

Re open doors, any long term regular in these forum has been well aware of this rejection, it has been discussed here a number of times. I disagree with such shots being rejected, but is isn't my site. And, it appears that after today it will be an improved one overall.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:04 PM   #19
Chris Kilroy
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSX1702 View Post
I think the open door rejection is a good example of rejecting something because you personally don't like it. No one else seems to find it that distracting.
The person who posted immediately above you does, and said so in another thread earlier today.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:05 PM   #20
Chris Kilroy
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Great to see these changes!

Re open doors, any long term regular in these forum has been well aware of this rejection, it has been discussed here a number of times. I disagree with such shots being rejected, but is isn't my site. And, it appears that after today it will be an improved one overall.
Thank you, Janusz!
Old 06-01-2014, 11:10 PM   #21
Ron Flanary

I'm old and have fewer brain cells because of a life misspent on booze and wild living, so this is more than I can remember. I'd rather just take train pictures and not have to fret over so many details. Moreover, it's the ultimate buzz kill for railroad photography.

While some of these standards are technical in nature, and thus logical, open doors represent reality...and the best photographers try to capture what is real and true with their images. This is far too formulaic---but thanks for trying.
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:12 PM   #22
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Quote:
Yeah, I think the majority of them do it in a semi-good natured way. Just to mess with people. Like I said, lots of guys will close the door if you ask them to, or if you point at the door as they pass if they're at speed.

I've talked to crewmembers before that proudly admit to popping open the doors on F-units and other unusual moves just for the laughter of screwing with railfans.

I had one crew on a train about 3 years ago, one of my night shots, with a pair of CP Rail GEVOs and the door was swinging open in the breeze. (I'm a sucker for matched sets of power!) I actually called the dispatcher to see if he'd let them know. Not only did they close the door, the conductor had gone out onto the porch and wiped off the CP logo on the nose to make sure it stood out.

Conversely, I've also had guys fly the bird, yell at me, and throw water bottles both day and night. Takes all kinds.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:20 PM   #23
MagnumForce

Since the new park has opened in Fostoria (actually impressively nice) I have had several crews yell and scream to get inside the fence while shooting them from the sidewalk at Columbus Ave. at the NS-C&O Diamond. The city even put a nice gate on the park at that end for photography sake. Guess the rails want to keep the foamers inside the cage and think they are illegal otherwise now. Silly.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:22 PM   #24
CSX1702

Quote:
Since the new park has opened in Fostoria (actually impressively nice) I have had several crews yell and scream to get inside the fence while shooting them from the sidewalk at Columbus Ave. at the NS-C&O Diamond. The city even put a nice gate on the park at that end for photography sake. Guess the rails want to keep the foamers inside the cage and think they are illegal otherwise now. Silly.
Speaking of that, can you still sit in the parking lot on Main street?

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
CSX1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:41 PM   #25
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Conversely, I've also had guys fly the bird, yell at me, and throw water bottles both day and night. Takes all kinds.
I'm sure the guys in my age bracket (60 and older) would agree: that rarely, if ever, happened back in the "old" days. But, it's just one more aspect of the loss of civility and respect, and the deterioration of society. Politicians don't make public policy now---they scream at each other as if it's a blood sport. The whole nation is rude and polarized, so it's not a good place to be now.

Sure, I miss the old days when a member of the crew would lean out and wave--with all five fingers extended, rather than one.
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote