Old 01-03-2019, 02:36 PM   #1
Grewup on the CW

Default Is a NS loco a disadvantage for Screener's Choice vote?

Two nice shots by the same photographer, both in the same area but different angles and rare snow (according to the photographer, don't know myself, never been there). First shot posted, has the NS loco in the lead with lots to look at, terrain, foggy mountains and elevation currently, no SC . Second shot posted, has UP loco in the lead, is at the lower elevation with only foreground to look at with cloudy sky as a backdrop and gets SC. The second shot caught my attention right away due to the snowy dessert location and then I saw the SC. It got me wondering right away if there was a dislike for NS loco's. I went to RP's home page, clicked on the Screener's choice link (which only showcases SC pics) and surveyed the first 300 pics which date all the way back to April 2015. I only found 3 shots that had NS loco's in them. Is it just coincidental or a distaste for NS loco's?
Personally I like the NS shot over the UP shot for the reasons I stated above and for those wondering if I am partial to NS loco's, I am not. What are your thoughts on this?

Image ©  Cayden Smith
PhotoID: 682620
Photograph © Cayden Smith

Image ©  Cayden Smith
PhotoID: 682750

Last edited by Grewup on the CW; 01-03-2019 at 02:41 PM.
Grewup on the CW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 03:08 PM   #2
bigbassloyd

Black NS locomotives are only good to shoot while on the NS Pokey in fog / rain / snow / etc.

Honestly, I couldn't tell you if there's a concerted effort against them here. I had to go look, but only one of my dark horse leaders was an SC. Starnes grew up on a diet of the Black Horse, but Kilroy is from the Westside. Chase could certainly be partial to NS, as it ran by his house growing up. Maybe they could chime in?

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 03:24 PM   #3
Grewup on the CW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
Black NS locomotives are only good to shoot while on the NS Pokey in fog / rain / snow / etc.

Honestly, I couldn't tell you if there's a concerted effort against them here. I had to go look, but only one of my dark horse leaders was an SC. Starnes grew up on a diet of the Black Horse, but Kilroy is from the Westside. Chase could certainly be partial to NS, as it ran by his house growing up. Maybe they could chime in?

Loyd L.
Maybe they could chime in? ...... Here's to hoping, Inquiring minds would like to know.....
Old 01-03-2019, 04:10 PM   #4
miningcamper1

The best thing about the NS black scheme is that it's not worse than it is.
It certainly has been around an awfully long time as mediocre schemes go.

Of course NS is a leader in special schemes, and deserves praise for that!

Just remembered that I haven't trashed big, ugly watermarks lately, so I'll take care of that right now. They most certainly do nothing to "prevent theft" unless they are prominent enough to ruin the viewing experience.
Not the one posted below, but to the particular photographer who places them prominently dead centered: This Means You!

Image ©  Cayden Smith
PhotoID: 682620

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/

Last edited by miningcamper1; 01-03-2019 at 04:36 PM. Reason: addition
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 08:12 PM   #5
Chris Kilroy
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris Kilroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewup on the CW View Post
Maybe they could chime in? ...... Here's to hoping, Inquiring minds would like to know.....

I screened both photos (about 12 hours apart, if I recall correctly) and just happened to like the second one more. The snow-covered cactus in the shot with UP power really sets the desert scene, IMO, where the first shot was lacking that. Nothing to do with the power.

They're still both really nice shots, of course.
- View My Photos at JetPhotos.Net!
Chris Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 08:47 PM   #6
RobJor

Typical landscape photos like in Outdoor Photographer often have a prominent foreground element(s) like the cactus while many train photos feature the train/engine up front. Paging through SC's photos with the train not dominating the foreground seem more common.

Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 10:06 PM   #7
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kilroy View Post
I screened both photos (about 12 hours apart, if I recall correctly) and just happened to like the second one more. The snow-covered cactus in the shot with UP power really sets the desert scene, IMO, where the first shot was lacking that. Nothing to do with the power.

I honestly asked myself: Is it a train photo with a cactus, or is it a cactus photo with a train?

Last edited by miningcamper1; 01-03-2019 at 10:08 PM. Reason: revision
Old 01-03-2019, 11:32 PM   #8
Grewup on the CW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kilroy View Post

Chris, Thanks for chiming in (I request you do more often) but the way you worded your answer, power does matter. You may not have meant it but you said "The snow-covered cactus in the shot with UP power really sets the desert scene" With it worded this way, I'm left with the impression that only UP power along with a cactus can make a dessert scene. I get you are referring to the "UP shot" and the snow covered cactus it really what made it click for you. So luck of the draw or lead loco statistically has not been in favor of the NS "Dark Horse" (as Lloyd called it) for SC nods.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:16 AM   #9
Decapod401

Quote:
Chris, Thanks for chiming in (I request you do more often) but the way you worded your answer, power does matter. You may not have meant it but you said "The snow-covered cactus in the shot with UP power really sets the desert scene" With it worded this way, I'm left with the impression that only UP power along with a cactus can make a dessert scene. I get you are referring to the "UP shot" and the snow covered cactus it really what made it click for you. So luck of the draw or lead loco statistically has not been in favor of the NS "Dark Horse" (as Lloyd called it) for SC nods.
I think that you're looking too hard for a screener to agree with your premise. Rewording Chris' response somewhat, "The snow-covered cactus really sets the desert scene. This is the shot that happened to have UP power." That's how I interpret it. The NS shot really could be mistaken for someplace in a dozen other states. The prickly pear plant and snow rarely coexist, and this adds a lot of interest to the shot. I really don't think that the paint scheme is the significant difference between the two shots.

From a personal standpoint, I have always had a strong distaste for the uninspired NS paint scheme, as I did for predecessor N&W and the PC. The growth of NS with the Conrail breakup contributed to my largely ignoring the hobby for a decade and a half.

It's strange that two of my favorite schemes are largely black and white: the Lehigh & New England scheme and the Lehigh Valley "snowbird" scheme. It's funny what a little splash of red can do to improve an otherwise colorless scheme.

My RP Pics are HERE.

I've now got a Flickr. account, too.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 02:05 AM   #10
RobJor

Of course, UP power appearance is a little bit luck of the draw, above example is OK and does not ruin the scene. NS if nothing else is consistent. UP generally is a big draw, just go a UP yard or facility and shoot a lineup and you have winner in terms of views.

Now what, wait and see but I think we remember prior threads. I brought the map up and the line looks very interesting to say the least, not sure of density.
Image © Journey to Inspiration
PhotoID: 682789
Photograph © Journey to Inspiration

Bob
Old 01-04-2019, 02:11 AM   #11
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decapod401 View Post
It's funny what a little splash of red can do to improve an otherwise colorless scheme.
Did someone say "...what a little splash of red can do..."?

Image © Steve Patterson
PhotoID: 505868
Photograph © Steve Patterson
Image © miningcamper
PhotoID: 422060
Photograph © miningcamper
Image © Mike Woodruff
PhotoID: 2200
Photograph © Mike Woodruff

Actually so rare that only 4 or 5 out of 1000+ PC photos here have that.

Old 01-04-2019, 12:21 PM   #12
Decapod401

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
Did someone say "...what a little splash of red can do..."?
Touché! Unfortunately, the red on the PC scheme was just lipstick on a pig.

I noticed in your shot that the second unit also has the red application. Did you get another frame with the two together? That would take the scarcity of the shot to another level.

My RP Pics are HERE.

Old 01-04-2019, 01:15 PM   #13
Grewup on the CW

Quote:
I think that you're looking too hard for a screener to agree with your premise. Rewording Chris' response somewhat, "The snow-covered cactus really sets the desert scene. This is the shot that happened to have UP power." That's how I interpret it. The NS shot really could be mistaken for someplace in a dozen other states. The prickly pear plant and snow rarely coexist, and this adds a lot of interest to the shot. I really don't think that the paint scheme is the significant difference between the two shots.

From a personal standpoint, I have always had a strong distaste for the uninspired NS paint scheme, as I did for predecessor N&W and the PC. The growth of NS with the Conrail breakup contributed to my largely ignoring the hobby for a decade and a half.

It's strange that two of my favorite schemes are largely black and white: the Lehigh & New England scheme and the Lehigh Valley "snowbird" scheme. It's funny what a little splash of red can do to improve an otherwise colorless scheme.

I'm not trying to get a screener to agree with me but even in your owns words the black and white (whether it is NS, PC or....) is uninspired. Its drab and anything other than black & white adds pop and to me, has an colorful advantage, thus the reason I started this post. Maybe I should have reworded the title to " Is a black & white paint scheme less appealing to warrant a SC vote" and used a different example.
Maybe this shot would have done better in views or an SC if the UP's were in the lead??? I love the mood of the pic so I voted PC for it.
Image © Jim Sinclair
PhotoID: 682747
Photograph © Jim Sinclair

Last edited by Grewup on the CW; 01-04-2019 at 02:17 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:33 PM   #14
RobJor

Yes, the NS photos just can't catch a break. Its uphill battle for them.

Image © JT Photography
PhotoID: 681895
Photograph © JT Photography

Bob
Old 01-04-2019, 08:28 PM   #15
KevinM

Both NS and CSX need to pay a designer to come up with a snazzier logo and more striking corporate colors, at least IMHO. Virtually any of the so-called "hurtage oonits" were better looking and more photogenic than their regular power.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:10 PM   #16
Grewup on the CW

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Both NS and CSX need to pay a designer to come up with a snazzier logo and more striking corporate colors, at least IMHO. Virtually any of the so-called "hurtage oonits" were better looking and more photogenic than their regular power.
I'm with you on this! For NS - if it has to be a solid color then the classic blue or Tucson Red would be so much better than the black & white.
CSX could simply got back to anything with the kitten on it ......
Old 01-08-2019, 12:42 AM   #17
Decapod401

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
Yes, the NS photos just can't catch a break. Its uphill battle for them.

Image © JT Photography
PhotoID: 681895
Photograph © JT Photography

Bob
Wow! You can see the curvature of the earth!

My RP Pics are HERE.

Old 01-09-2019, 01:05 AM   #18
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Wow! You can see the curvature of the earth!
If only there was some sort of function within an editing program to correct the woes of shooting hard down from the edge of space with a drone...

Loyd L.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:57 AM   #19
Decapod401

Quote:
If only there was some sort of function within an editing program to correct the woes of shooting hard down from the edge of space with a drone...

Loyd L.
At least it helps to debunk the flat-earthers.

My RP Pics are HERE.

Old 01-09-2019, 03:09 PM   #20
KevinM

Quote:

Loyd L.
Amen. It may be because I am getting old, but I don't find U2-style photos of trains to be at all pleasing to the eye. If I owned a drone, I might be shooting at a 30-degree down-angle from perhaps 50-100 ft. AGL, not 60-90 degrees from 399 ft.

As an observation, I am finding that some charter operators are now designating certain spots and run-bys in which participants are welcome to fly their drones. Despite the explosion of drone sales, very few participants seem to opt to take advantage of it. There could be a number of reasons why this is the case:
  1. Perhaps many charter participants see limited applications for a drone and would rather carry an extra lens or body than haul a drone around in their luggage.
  2. It is possible that some folks would rather spend their loot on unique photo opportunities (such as a charter) than on more gear.
  3. It may be because the folks who do charters tend to be older and with more disposable income, and older folks are less inclined to adopt new technologies.

In my case, I'm with reason number one.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.

Last edited by KevinM; 01-09-2019 at 03:12 PM.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 07:59 PM   #21
Grewup on the CW

Quote:
Amen. It may be because I am getting old, but I don't find U2-style photos of trains to be at all pleasing to the eye. If I owned a drone, I might be shooting at a 30-degree down-angle from perhaps 50-100 ft. AGL, not 60-90 degrees from 399 ft.

As an observation, I am finding that some charter operators are now designating certain spots and run-bys in which participants are welcome to fly their drones. Despite the explosion of drone sales, very few participants seem to opt to take advantage of it. There could be a number of reasons why this is the case:
  1. Perhaps many charter participants see limited applications for a drone and would rather carry an extra lens or body than haul a drone around in their luggage.
  2. It is possible that some folks would rather spend their loot on unique photo opportunities (such as a charter) than on more gear.
  3. It may be because the folks who do charters tend to be older and with more disposable income, and older folks are less inclined to adopt new technologies.

Im option D, none of the above.
For me, most drone shots are too high thus offering less detail in a broader area. For those shots at a more appealing elevation a drone proves practical for those not attainable on foot. I have limited time and resources which limits my adventures to get that "perfect drone shot" so unless I'm gifted a drone my nickels and dimes will be saved for more gear for my current camera.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:41 PM   #22
DeanS1958

Quote:
Im option D, none of the above.
For me, most drone shots are too high thus offering less detail in a broader area. For those shots at a more appealing elevation a drone proves practical for those not attainable on foot. I have limited time and resources which limits my adventures to get that "perfect drone shot" so unless I'm gifted a drone my nickels and dimes will be saved for more gear for my current camera.
I think this thread has meandered away from the original topic BUT chiming in on the drone thing..... I have a drone and I've gotten a few shots with from a perspective that I couldn't get with my camera. Being relatively new to the hobby, I still find the challenges of using a camera much more gratifying than any shots I've ever gotten with my drone. It was fun at first but after the "newness" wore off, I rarely even get the thing out.
DeanS1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:29 PM   #23
bigbassloyd

I use my drone to capture shots I otherwise couldn't pull off. 99% of my shots are under 100 ft agl, and I always do the proper post process to make it look like it's not from a drone. Someday I may even post one here.

Loyd L.

Old 01-09-2019, 10:54 PM   #24
Decapod401

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanS1958 View Post
I think this thread has meandered away from the original topic BUT chiming in on the drone thing..... I have a drone and I've gotten a few shots with from a perspective that I couldn't get with my camera. Being relatively new to the hobby, I still find the challenges of using a camera much more gratifying than any shots I've ever gotten with my drone. It was fun at first but after the "newness" wore off, I rarely even get the thing out.
I think that this thread has again meandered - away from poking fun at an absurdly high and uncorrected drone shot and into a serious discussion!

My RP Pics are HERE.

Old 01-10-2019, 02:09 AM   #25
miningcamper1

Quote:

Times change...on the first charter I attended, the guys with sound recorders were complaining to the organizers about all the noise from motor-drive SLRs. I was unable to accommodate them, since my then-new camera had no manual film advance.

Last edited by miningcamper1; 01-10-2019 at 02:10 AM. Reason: revision