Old 12-08-2008, 08:13 PM   #1
willig
Senior Member
 
willig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 473
Default Is this unlevel?

I got this unlevel rejection.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=461347497

So I adjusted on the LH side.

Then got this rejection
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=461347497

So I sharpened it.

Now I've got this, but I'm struggling to see where it's unlevel.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=614872&key=0

Can anyone help please?
willig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 08:16 PM   #2
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,800
Default

It's the roof. It's way unlevel, man! It should be perfectly horizontal.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 08:27 PM   #3
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,202
Default

Lots of issues. A minor point first, your second link is the same as your first. I wondered for a bit on that, couldn't find the sharpening issue, finally figured it out.

You need to rotate. I say this right off, because on the last link I don't think you did. I think what you did was a free transformation of some sort, because you changed the shapes of things and not just spun them around. Everything looks a smidge narrower, and the left side rotated a lot more than the right side did. I could be wrong, but that is what I see.

Now, when you level an image, you should have things that are supposed to be vertical be vertical, and things that are supposed to be horizontal be horizontal. Often horizontals are hard to trust, because they are not perpendicular to the camera, but here that red line above the windshield should be level and it is tilted. Yes, you need to rotate it a lot more than you did.

You can also look at making verticals vertical, such as the poles and framing in the station wall.
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 08:28 PM   #4
willig
Senior Member
 
willig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 473
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
It's the roof. It's way unlevel, man! It should be perfectly horizontal.

Oh I seeeeee! I never noticed that.

Well, I guess you must be right then. After all, you're the expert at snow shots.
willig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 08:35 PM   #5
willig
Senior Member
 
willig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 473
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
Lots of issues. A minor point first, your second link is the same as your first. I wondered for a bit on that, couldn't find the sharpening issue, finally figured it out.

You need to rotate. I say this right off, because on the last link I don't think you did. I think what you did was a free transformation of some sort, because you changed the shapes of things and not just spun them around. Everything looks a smidge narrower, and the left side rotated a lot more than the right side did. I could be wrong, but that is what I see.

Now, when you level an image, you should have things that are supposed to be vertical be vertical, and things that are supposed to be horizontal be horizontal. Often horizontals are hard to trust, because they are not perpendicular to the camera, but here that red line above the windshield should be level and it is tilted. Yes, you need to rotate it a lot more than you did.

You can also look at making verticals vertical, such as the poles and framing in the station wall.
Sorry Janusz, I put the wrong URL in for the second rejection. This is the correct one.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1280057012

I was looking at the verticals rather than the horizontals, where I couldn't see a problem. I have skewed it to preseve the verticals and straighten things like that red line which, as you say, isn't level. I'm trying again. I might just get bored with it though if it bounces back again.
willig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 08:40 PM   #6
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by willig
I was looking at the verticals rather than the horizontals, where I couldn't see a problem. I have skewed it to preseve the verticals and straighten things like that red line which, as you say, isn't level. I'm trying again. I might just get bored with it though if it bounces back again.
NO SKEWING!!!

Seriously, don't skew. Rotate, and then crop. Skewing mucks it up.
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:28 PM   #7
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
NO SKEWING!!!

Seriously, don't skew. Rotate, and then crop. Skewing mucks it up.
Perhaps he was fixing some distortion? Skewing is ok if you do it in moderation. However, I prefer to use Distort when fixing distortion.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:36 PM   #8
Ween
Senior Member
 
Ween's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,861
Default

Unless that's a cheap stroller, the front wheels should be level. Try making those suckers level (unless the platform is sloped) and see what heppens. I have a feeling though that it would look really unlevel then...
__________________
Ween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:40 PM   #9
John Fladung
JohnFladung.net
 
John Fladung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Saint Paul, MN
Posts: 785
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
Unless that's a cheap stroller, the front wheels should be level. Try making those suckers level (unless the platform is sloped) and see what heppens. I have a feeling though that it would look really unlevel then...
I hope it's not too sloped or they may get sucked off...
John Fladung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:45 PM   #10
willig
Senior Member
 
willig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 473
Default

Well, it was finally accepted.

Image © Graham Williams
PhotoID: 262834
Photograph © Graham Williams


Thanks guys (for the fun as well!)
willig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:46 PM   #11
John Fladung
JohnFladung.net
 
John Fladung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Saint Paul, MN
Posts: 785
Default

Congrats Graham.
John Fladung is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.