Old 06-20-2008, 09:44 PM   #1
kooi2017

Send a message via AIM to kooi2017
Default Bridge Issues

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1084163660

I thought this shot had enough good things going for it that the slight truck obstruction wouldn't be a big deal. After all, there are bridge shots in the DB with this same issue, not to mention the ones with "obstructing" trusses. Of course, maybe the screening is a bit stricter now than it used to be. Appeal pending, but I guess the main question is at what point does a good bridge shot go bad? Since this is not a fixable problem, should I just assume that there are historic bridges that people will never get to see on this site since they don't allow for a "perfect" photo? I'm a fan of bridge shots personally, so I'm sure I'll run into this issue in the future at some point. I'm just trying to get a better idea of what is acceptable now so I don't waste my time and the screeners time uploading pictures that don't meet the requirements. Thanks.
kooi2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:59 PM   #2
willie6622

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooi2017
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1084163660

I thought this shot had enough good things going for it that the slight truck obstruction wouldn't be a big deal. After all, there are bridge shots in the DB with this same issue, not to mention the ones with "obstructing" trusses. Of course, maybe the screening is a bit stricter now than it used to be. Appeal pending, but I guess the main question is at what point does a good bridge shot go bad? Since this is not a fixable problem, should I just assume that there are historic bridges that people will never get to see on this site since they don't allow for a "perfect" photo? I'm a fan of bridge shots personally, so I'm sure I'll run into this issue in the future at some point. I'm just trying to get a better idea of what is acceptable now so I don't waste my time and the screeners time uploading pictures that don't meet the requirements. Thanks.
I don't know, but I'm guessing that maybe the trucks being obstructed or the power lines overhead? I found this shot accepted very recently that is a bridge shot with some foreground clutter, but the trucks are not obstructed(just one set). This is why I'm guessing the truck issue.
Image © Brad Price
PhotoID: 239836
Photograph © Brad Price

Last edited by willie6622; 06-21-2008 at 12:58 AM.
willie6622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 10:00 PM   #3
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Appeal it, It fine photo and take there own standers to high at times.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 10:44 PM   #4
Carl Becker

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwman
Appeal it, It fine photo and take there own standers to high at times.
It's really a nice photo, but I'm not sure that it'll make it. Bridge shots that tend to get accepted with obstructing guardrails seem to be ones like this...

Image © Scott Carney
PhotoID: 237420
Photograph © Scott Carney

... where you can actually see through the guardrails. The rejected shot could possibly be re-attempted with the lead locomotive partly off of the bridge, therefore showing some of the trucks on the locomotive.

~Carl Becker
Carl Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 11:15 PM   #5
gbrozny

Send a message via ICQ to gbrozny

I have a couple accepted with obstructed trucks, I think they get accepted when you can see under the bridge as to what is on the other side, as to yours, I do not think the obstruction takes anything away from the shot, unless they do not like the power lines in the foreground. Here are both of mine:

After standing here for about 20 min looking silly:
Image © Geoff Brozny
PhotoID: 234269
Photograph © Geoff Brozny

Image © Geoff Brozny
PhotoID: 224367
Photograph © Geoff Brozny
gbrozny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 11:18 PM   #6
Save The Wave
trainchaser.us

Send a message via MSN to Save The Wave

I will never understand how part of a rail bridge could be considered foreground clutter. Makes no sense at all.
One issue though, the photo needs to be leveled.

The good, the bad and the ugly. My railpics
Save The Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 01:13 AM   #7
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Save The Wave
I will never understand how part of a rail bridge could be considered foreground clutter. Makes no sense at all.
One issue though, the photo needs to be leveled.
Agreed and agreed.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 01:28 AM   #8
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Save The Wave
Because it's blocking a portion of the train perhaps...?
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 01:30 AM   #9
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B.
Because it's blocking a portion of the train perhaps...?
Well then why do the ones blocking a portion of the train getting accepted here? Are some bridges just never meant to be photographed then?
Old 06-21-2008, 01:36 AM   #10
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
Well then why do the ones blocking a portion of the train getting accepted here? Are some bridges just never meant to be photographed then?
I don't know, I'm not a screener. I also find the reasoning behind what bridge shots get accepted and what doesn't somewhat puzzling. I personally avoid shots like this one simply because I like to see the trucks of the locomotive(s). If it's a 'truss-style' bridge I try to not block the engine number and as much of the writing on the locomotive as possible.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:41 AM   #11
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B.
I don't know, I'm not a screener. I also find the reasoning behind what bridge shots get accepted and what doesn't somewhat puzzling. I personally avoid shots like this one simply because I like to see the trucks of the locomotive(s). If it's a 'truss-style' bridge I try to not block the engine number and as much of the writing on the locomotive as possible.
I agree, there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. One minute a bridge shot with trucks obstructed is getting in, the next it's not. Perhaps it comes down to how interesting the rest of the scene is, which I suppose is purely subjective with the screeners. In that regard, I think the problem with Matt's photo is that he's too close to the bridge. If he was able to get a shot of the train spanning the entire bridge, the interest of the shot would be more appealing, thus making the truck obstruction much less of a factor. I don't like bridges that obstruct the trucks either, but if the entire bridge was in the scene, I'd be less picky about that.

Looking at his picture, it only makes me want to see MORE of the bridge.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:56 AM   #12
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
I agree, there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. One minute a bridge shot with trucks obstructed is getting in, the next it's not. Perhaps it comes down to how interesting the rest of the scene is, which I suppose is purely subjective with the screeners. In that regard, I think the problem with Matt's photo is that he's too close to the bridge. If he was able to get a shot of the train spanning the entire bridge, the interest of the shot would be more appealing, thus making the truck obstruction much less of a factor. I don't like bridges that obstruct the trucks either, but if the entire bridge was in the scene, I'd be less picky about that.

I think that's the only way they can do it. Unfortunately, photography is completely subjective to what the individual thinks. This isn't math so there are no absolutes outside of the technical side of things, only what the masses agree to be appealing. It tends to make things more difficult, but it also makes the hobby more personal for the photographer.
Old 06-21-2008, 02:10 AM   #13
a231pacific

I like the shot. I like the falls below and it's well lit. I don't mind the fact that I can't see the full trucks. Level it and try again. Maybe a different screener will be on duty and accept it.

Michael Allen
a231pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 07:13 AM   #14
kooi2017

Actually, my first instinct when I arrived at the spot was to have much more of the bridge in the shot, however some tall weeds and bushes growing on the bridge left this area the only spot where I could get a southbound shot without that type of foreground clutter in front of the locos. A northbound would have been much more ideal, but you just have to take what the rr gives you.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:37 AM   #15
Watain
-_-

Send a message via MSN to Watain

I like the photo a lot myself. It is unlevel, I dont know how much my opinion is worth but, im thinking whoever was screening didnt like the tree blocking the well car? I have never shot a bridge before so im no expert we have had a couple of coal spills off of bridges on to highways though.
Watain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 01:50 PM   #16
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

This is just one of many areas where the screeners differ in taste. I know a few of us understand that some bridges have that little extra but if its shot well, as is the case here, it should be a no brainer. I didn't even notice the wires the first time I looked at the photo in question. I'd appeal or give it a week and resubmit.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:51 PM   #17
Slopes09

Send a message via AIM to Slopes09

Curse you Matt Kooi! You beat me to the other side of the bridge!

I've been meaning to shoot that side of the bridge since I shot I shot the other side of the bridge back in May.
Quote:

That's what I did, but it was actually just because I liked the arches and what I figured would be a really nice reflection. I guess that worked in my favor.
Image © Mike W.
PhotoID: 236332
Photograph © Mike W.

Pretty much the only Pentax Shooter.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 09:07 PM   #18
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopes09
That's what I did, but it was actually just because I liked the arches and what I figured would be a really nice reflection. I guess that worked in my favor.
Image © Mike W.
Photograph © Mike W.
Now THAT is what I wanted to see! Very cool looking bridge.

Hey, Mike, I was just at the station in Hinsdale a week ago Saturday. Got a shot of a coal train with a metra train pacing along side it from the wooden bridge there (looking west instead of east, like so many of the shots on RP).
Old 06-24-2008, 12:28 AM   #19
ssw9662

Actually, the power line is a far bigger distraction to me than the obscured trucks.
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Canon 50mm f/1.8
My Railpictures.net Photos
flickr
ssw9662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 12:46 AM   #20
JBCagle7073
Alpha Phi Psi

Send a message via AIM to JBCagle7073

I do not see a big problem with the picture. The obstruction is not that big of a deal at that distance. The power lines are a tad distracting, but there aren't that many places that do not have them today.More of the train would have been nice, but what you have works.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:22 AM   #21
Joe the Photog

I've looked at this shot and this thread three times without commenting. One reason is that there's something about this shot that I'm not a fan of. It's more than being unlevel and not being able to see the trucks. I'd like to see a level version, though, to judge again. But it strikes me that we're seeing a small portion of the bridge. Maybe it's just me, but I like wide shots of bridges. Show the scene, not a close up of the power and one or two cars. Backing off the train would make the obstructed trucks a tad less distracting too.

Consider --

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Rejected for "Foreground clutter." Appealed on basis of "That's not foreground clutter; that's a railroad bridge." And accepted.

If you can't pull back and show more of the bridge, consider the possibility that the location isn't RP-doable.

Joe
Old 06-24-2008, 04:17 AM   #22
kooi2017

Well I have to admit Mike's shot from the east side of the bridge has more working for it than my shot. I shot this bridge before a year a two ago (only Amtrak and only the west side, never posted), but a big part of the problem is the drop in the river over the dam. The bridge on the east side is at higher level and provides a better view of the trucks then the lower west side of the bridge. The other huge problem, as I mentioned before, are the weeds and bushes on the bridge. From the west side view, these were the only two arches without obstrucing plants. Concrete from a bridge in front of a loco doesn't bother me, but a bush does; thus the side only composition. A northbound would have allowed a composition like Mike's shot, but with a southbound this is the best available without any obstructing greenery. As for the wires, I'd rather show it like it is than clone them out. I'm sure everyone has a different opinion of which shot is better, the east side with the reflection or the west side with the falls. Either way, I was just trying to show everyone a view of a seldom photographed bridge. Thanks for all the feedback everyone.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:06 AM   #23
J Douglas Moore

Quote:
It's more than being unlevel and not being able to see the trucks. I'd like to see a level version, though, to judge again. But it strikes me that we're seeing a small portion of the bridge.
The lighting is good, but I see too many things working agaist each other. The power lines, the bridge in the background and the unlevel shot .... I think pull it back to a wider view and it will work better.
J Douglas Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 04:54 PM   #24
Slopes09

Send a message via AIM to Slopes09

Quote:
Now THAT is what I wanted to see! Very cool looking bridge.

Hey, Mike, I was just at the station in Hinsdale a week ago Saturday. Got a shot of a coal train with a metra train pacing along side it from the wooden bridge there (looking west instead of east, like so many of the shots on RP).
Thanks! Jim, you should of let me know. I might have made the effort to head home. What brought you to the wonderful land of Chicagoland?

I think my only shot from there is facing east, but then I've only been there once, and that was in the afternoon.

Quote:
Well I have to admit Mike's shot from the east side of the bridge has more working for it than my shot. I shot this bridge before a year a two ago (only Amtrak and only the west side, never posted), but a big part of the problem is the drop in the river over the dam. The bridge on the east side is at higher level and provides a better view of the trucks then the lower west side of the bridge. The other huge problem, as I mentioned before, are the weeds and bushes on the bridge. From the west side view, these were the only two arches without obstrucing plants. Concrete from a bridge in front of a loco doesn't bother me, but a bush does; thus the side only composition. A northbound would have allowed a composition like Mike's shot, but with a southbound this is the best available without any obstructing greenery. As for the wires, I'd rather show it like it is than clone them out. I'm sure everyone has a different opinion of which shot is better, the east side with the reflection or the west side with the falls. Either way, I was just trying to show everyone a view of a seldom photographed bridge. Thanks for all the feedback everyone.
I'll have to remember that whenever I go back to shoot that side of the bridge. And it is a seldom photographed bridge, though I can't for the life of me figure out why. Your shot turned out very well, though, regardless. I wouldn't worry too much about the wires, can't do very much about them. Next time, I wouldn't worry about the plants. My shot has obstructing telephone poles, but they didn't seem to worry the screeners too much. If the shot's cool enough, they'd probably overlook it.

Pretty much the only Pentax Shooter.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 05:18 PM   #25
JimThias

Quote:
Actually, my first instinct when I arrived at the spot was to have much more of the bridge in the shot, however some tall weeds and bushes growing on the bridge left this area the only spot where I could get a southbound shot without that type of foreground clutter in front of the locos.
I'm a little confused with this description. Looking at Mike's shot on the opposite side, it shows that the bridge is pretty clear from one side to the other. Where would there be vegetation growing? Actually on the bridge deck?

Image © Mike W.
Photograph © Mike W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopes09
Thanks! Jim, you should of let me know. I might have made the effort to head home. What brought you to the wonderful land of Chicagoland?

I think my only shot from there is facing east, but then I've only been there once, and that was in the afternoon.
A buddy of mine and I headed down there Friday night (13th) and hung out at the Clark Rd. crossing (Pine) in Gary. We stayed in Lansing and then headed to Joliet the first thing Saturday morning. From there we hit some random spots...Lemont, Willow Springs, Hinsdale, Clearing, Cicero and eventually Chicago before heading back to Michigan Saturday night. Kind of planned, kind of spontaneous...we just tried to find where the action was. Turned out to be a very slow day.