Old 10-19-2016, 01:34 PM   #1
Grewup on the CW

Default Distracting shadows rejection

How do you over come this rejection or issue when the normal time the train is passing this location is 7:00 to 8:00 am (going away in this shot) and 9:00 to 10:00 on the return trip (pictured here) ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NS2563.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	9277  
Grewup on the CW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 01:40 PM   #2
Mberry

I don't know what the rejection is as you didn't include a rejection link.
Mberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 01:42 PM   #3
Grewup on the CW

The rejection link has expired but the rejection was "Distracting shadows "
Old 10-19-2016, 02:07 PM   #4
Joseph Cermak

Is there a gap with enough light to get on the nose/cab of the lead unit? Personally I like the shot you have, although it is a bit loose for my tastes (maybe take some off the left). I also always enjoy a good dark sky shot which might work at this location as there wouldn't be shadows (but RP would probably reject for cloudy/common)
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 02:17 PM   #5
Grewup on the CW

The gap you see is all there is to work with, until the leaves drop then that will open up but I don't particularly like the shot with bare branches as the back drop. So I am waiting on the leaves to turn and hopefully the fall colors will over come the shadows rejection.
Actually loose was my first rejection so I cropped and then got the shadows rejection.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:23 PM   #6
Joseph Cermak

Yeah IMO the shadows don't bother me too much and I like the shot. Good fall colors would definitely help. Maybe you just go cut some stuff out and open up that hole you have there haha
Old 10-19-2016, 02:29 PM   #7
Grewup on the CW

I'm sure Farmer Brown would not mind a bit if I cleared his fence row
Thanks for the like and input.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:47 PM   #8
Decapod401

The closer to the Winter solstice (December 21) that you revisit the location, the farther south the sun will be at this time of day. While the sun will be lower (longer shadows), the direction may be such that the shadows and not on the lower part of the train, and you will have better nose lighting. Of course, that's not an absolute, but it's your best chance of overcoming the shadows.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 02:50 PM   #9
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewup on the CW View Post
How do you over come this rejection or issue when the normal time the train is passing this location is 7:00 to 8:00 am (going away in this shot) and 9:00 to 10:00 on the return trip (pictured here) ?
Keep in mind that some things simply cannot be overcome or aren't worth overcoming. RP doesn't like certain things. Sometimes one simply needs to move on.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 02:54 PM   #10
Joseph Cermak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Keep in mind that some things simply cannot be overcome or aren't worth overcoming. RP doesn't like certain things. Sometimes one simply needs to move on.
Agreed, with RP you may never be able to "overcome" what they want. Take pictures that you like and enjoy the hobby!
Old 10-19-2016, 03:30 PM   #11
Mr. Pick

An overcast day with fall colors on the trees might work well. As an aside - is that your camera sitting on the rock down there?
Mr. Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 03:54 PM   #12
Grewup on the CW

Mr. Pick your are the first to catch the camera sitting on the rock. Yes that is my old camera that I had recording so I could post a video on RP's video site. Much to my surprise after failed numerous attempts to upload the video that my efforts were in vain as that site is apparently dead for new post. My first video I might add and yes I have requested a tripod to be under the Christmas tree this year.
I will indeed try the overcast fall colors, not holding my breath on a cloudy rejection though.

Last edited by Grewup on the CW; 10-19-2016 at 04:02 PM.
Old 10-19-2016, 05:06 PM   #13
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pick View Post
An overcast day with fall colors on the trees might work well.
What Pick says. Cloudy and fall color with a boost in saturation is almost always a sure bet. And you'll soon have an extra hour of light to work with in the morning.

For instance:

Image © Jim Thias
PhotoID: 413631
Photograph © Jim Thias

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 05:40 PM   #14
Grewup on the CW

Point dully noted and all very helpful advice. All the reason I decided to post on the forums. Took 4 months to get approved to post but here I am.

I am new to this hobby (just a mere 2 years learning this craft) but well enjoying the rewards and experiences its brings. I have come to the conclusion that photography is an art and no matter how good you think it is, somebody, somewhere just wont like it. And thats all good too.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:08 AM   #15
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewup on the CW View Post
Point dully noted and all very helpful advice. All the reason I decided to post on the forums. Took 4 months to get approved to post but here I am.

I am new to this hobby (just a mere 2 years learning this craft) but well enjoying the rewards and experiences its brings. I have come to the conclusion that photography is an art and no matter how good you think it is, somebody, somewhere just wont like it. And thats all good too.
Keep pushing on and keep practicing. Always shoot for yourself first and if you have something that RP will accept, great!

The composition for your rejected photo is pretty solid. While it's merely a basic wedgie, I find it appealing due to the rock structures. With the right lighting and some fall colors, it can become a very good photo location.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 07:54 AM   #16
Rene de Vries

Hi,

regarding the pciture shown here, what about going back 50 - 60 yards and shooting with a zoom lens (200 - 300 mm)?
In that case you will have a picture where the focus lies on the front of the train (and you can pick the spots where the sun shines brightly on the train).

Could be an possibility, may be worth a shot...

Kind regards

René
Rene de Vries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 12:43 PM   #17
KevinM

In the scene under discussion, I might crop some off the bottom and the left. The subject is too centered. I don't personally think that's a killer, but RP typically doesn't like it. In this case, the centered crop is likely especially objectionable (to RP) because the "excess" on the bottom and left are all in pure shadow.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 03:37 PM   #18
Grewup on the CW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Keep pushing on and keep practicing. Always shoot for yourself first and if you have something that RP will accept, great!

The composition for your rejected photo is pretty solid. While it's merely a basic wedgie, I find it appealing due to the rock structures. With the right lighting and some fall colors, it can become a very good photo location.
Jim, the rock structures is why I picked this spot to photograph. The upcropping of these "Blue stones" is a common sight in this area so much that we have numerous quarries around here and they are often a normal construction obstacle. While most locals would over look this as a scenic spot, I preferred it for its natural "Blue" beauty.

I revisited the spot this morning and got some more shots in but the fall colors just are not there yet and I had the "Common power" Dash 9 today.

Ironic that another suggestion was to back up away from that location as I did just that this morning But I turn the shot down as the crossing lights was in the shot and took away from the distance train approaching.

Thanks again to everybody's tips and suggestions as it helps to think outside the box especially with the limited locations this little short line can be photographed
Old 12-29-2016, 04:13 PM   #19
Grewup on the CW

Well I finally found a shot that is appealing to RP. I tried the fall colors when they finally got "ripe" but the type of trees there just didn't yield that "Fall" color so I never even tried it. Then we got an extra hour of light and well that still was not enough to get out of the shadows. So I used Jim's sun calculator and found the optimal sun (late December, Doug's sugggestion) and that finally got me the most this location is gonna get to be out of the shadows. While I still prefer my original shot (with the green leaves on) I like this shot as well and the RP rejections and this forum taught me to dig in and figure out how to achieve better light in a unique spot. Thanks again to all and have a great New Year!
Image © Grew up on the CW
PhotoID: 600929
Photograph © Grew up on the CW

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/600929/

Last edited by Grewup on the CW; 12-29-2016 at 04:44 PM.