Old 01-17-2011, 10:25 AM   #1
IHapsias

Default Backlit..

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1027223048

I don't understand how this is backlit.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:50 AM   #2
Paolo Roffo

Because it is. There's no light on the nose, and the side doesn't have enough light to make it a glint shot.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:10 AM   #3
Joe the Photog

Pretty much what Paolo wrote. Not to be snarky, but he could have said "it's backlit because the lighting is from the back." What really kills it is that there is not enough light to give the trucks enough detail.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:48 AM   #4
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80

Go off of that:

Image © Ben Sutton
PhotoID: 351091
Photograph © Ben Sutton

Increase the glint. I lost detail in my shot too with the trucks, intentionally though. And I gave it a little more light on the sides of the units. I did this in levels, I moved the right side of the histogram and then SLIGHTLY....ever so slightly moved the left side to intentionally lose detail in the unit that was facing us. I actually cropped off most of the unit that was facing us. Reason behind that? It gives the shot more of a feel of going away "into the sunset" as stated in our comments. There's too much detail in that unit that is facing the viewers, making it look....well....backlit. Put more emphasis on the glint and the sky and less on bringing out shadows.

Ben
Old 01-17-2011, 11:49 AM   #5
asis80

BTW, I wasn't too happy with that radio tower, and didn't notice it until I got home. Thought about cloning....but wouldn't that be manipulation or is that ok now-a-days? haha

Ben
Old 01-17-2011, 12:15 PM   #6
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

As far as lighting, I actually like Ian's photo. I shows detail on the side of the locos, vs. a plasmic glare. The only improvement that I could see, is having the headlights on to counteract the backlit on the facing nose.

I am seeing issues with probable over sharpening though.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:24 PM   #7
crazytiger

Ian, shooting with someone that is a much better photographer than you, should be an opportunity to learn a lot. I would love to shoot a day or two with someone like Ben, just to see what he makes work, when I couldn't. Just learn as much as you can from him, but anyway, do what Ben told you in this thread, if you are really wanting it to get on. But, notice that for glints, you want to be at less of an angle to the train, as in Ben's shot.

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Friend
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:41 PM   #8
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by asis80 View Post
BTW, I wasn't too happy with that radio tower, and didn't notice it until I got home. Thought about cloning....but wouldn't that be manipulation or is that ok now-a-days? haha

Ben
blur the tower and you'll get a PCA..

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:18 PM   #9
asis80

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazytiger View Post
Ian, shooting with someone that is a much better photographer than you, should be an opportunity to learn a lot. I would love to shoot a day or two with someone like Ben, just to see what he makes work, when I couldn't. Just learn as much as you can from him, but anyway, do what Ben told you in this thread, if you are really wanting it to get on. But, notice that for glints, you want to be at less of an angle to the train, as in Ben's shot.
Thanks for the kind words Peter. Ian's getting the hang of it. It's frustrating for sure. But he's getting it. A lot of people forget though.......shoot for enjoyment, not for this so called "blessed and sacred website". Let the rejections get to you, and you're doomed and become miserable. Silly, but at the same time serious, question.....would any of you enjoy this hobby if there were no RP? There's a few people I know that everytime I go out...it somehow, someway turns into a "Will RP ever take this?" sort of day. Or if I show someone an angle that's out of the box or the lighting just isn't "RP right", they say "This will never make RP!!!!". Frankly, I'm tired of hearing that, haha. Go out and have fun! Forget this site! If you have a few good shots, so be it, upload 'em to here. But go out and railfan for fun. /end rant.

Ben
Old 01-17-2011, 08:37 PM   #10
cblaz

Quote:
A lot of people forget though.......shoot for enjoyment, not for this so called "blessed and sacred website". Let the rejections get to you, and you're doomed and become miserable. Silly, but at the same time serious, question.....would any of you enjoy this hobby if there were no RP? There's a few people I know that everytime I go out...it somehow, someway turns into a "Will RP ever take this?" sort of day. Or if I show someone an angle that's out of the box or the lighting just isn't "RP right", they say "This will never make RP!!!!". Frankly, I'm tired of hearing that, haha. Go out and have fun! Forget this site! If you have a few good shots, so be it, upload 'em to here. But go out and railfan for fun. /end rant.
Seconded.

- Chris
Old 01-17-2011, 09:17 PM   #11
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words Peter. Ian's getting the hang of it.
I'd say he is. I took a look at the older stuff on his Flickr account. A vast improvement since then.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:20 PM   #12
NS-Norfolk

Thumbs up Agreed

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words Peter. Ian's getting the hang of it. It's frustrating for sure. But he's getting it. A lot of people forget though.......shoot for enjoyment, not for this so called "blessed and sacred website". Let the rejections get to you, and you're doomed and become miserable. Silly, but at the same time serious, question.....would any of you enjoy this hobby if there were no RP? There's a few people I know that everytime I go out...it somehow, someway turns into a "Will RP ever take this?" sort of day. Or if I show someone an angle that's out of the box or the lighting just isn't "RP right", they say "This will never make RP!!!!". Frankly, I'm tired of hearing that, haha. Go out and have fun! Forget this site! If you have a few good shots, so be it, upload 'em to here. But go out and railfan for fun. /end rant.

Ben
In light of the "Bad Cropping" rant I started in another thread earlier today, Bens comment contains much wisdom and puts the fun of rail or other photography in context with the fun of composing an image.

Canon EOS 5D MKII | Canon F1n + Assorted FD Glass
Canon EF20-35mm | Canon EF24-70mm f2.8L | Canon EF28-135mm IS | Canon EF70-200mm f2.8L | Canon EF 300mm f4.0L

Chesapeake, VA

My Photos at: http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=33016
NS-Norfolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:45 PM   #13
IHapsias

Quote:

Ben
I'm guilty of it here & there, I'll admit it.

But I think I know JUST what person he means.. lmao, hey Ben does it go by the initials of HL? - inside joke -

I'm also listed now, as " Ian M. Hapsias " with 25 photos.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:50 PM   #14
asis80

Not necessarily Ian, just a bunch of folks in general. A few worse than others, but like I just said a bunch in general. WE are the photographers who dictate our style and methods of OUR photography....this site? It's just a showcase.

Ben
Old 01-17-2011, 10:11 PM   #15
IHapsias

Quote:
Not necessarily Ian, just a bunch of folks in general. A few worse than others, but like I just said a bunch in general. WE are the photographers who dictate our style and methods of OUR photography....this site? It's just a showcase.

Ben
Roger that. True that as well.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:21 PM   #16
JimThias

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words Peter. Ian's getting the hang of it. It's frustrating for sure. But he's getting it.
Well, it looks like he's already got the processing down better than you.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image © Ben Sutton
PhotoID: 346080
Photograph © Ben Sutton

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:26 PM   #17
asis80

I see no issues you speak of sir, haha.

Ben
Old 01-17-2011, 10:28 PM   #18
JimThias

Ian's looks real. Yours looks like you're using some kind of Candyland plug-in.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
Old 01-17-2011, 10:32 PM   #19
asis80

Maybe overexposed....that's all I see.

Ben
Old 01-17-2011, 10:34 PM   #20
JimThias

You seriously don't see a MAJOR difference in colors between the two images? How is that possible?

Old 01-17-2011, 10:36 PM   #21
asis80

Slightly. Not much. maybe I should learn off of Ian instead of him learning anything from me.

Ben
Old 01-17-2011, 10:45 PM   #22
JimThias

Quote:
Slightly. Not much. maybe I should learn off of Ian instead of him learning anything from me.

Ben
Yeah, you guys could exchange some notes. haha
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ianben.jpg (191.6 KB, 93 views)

Old 01-17-2011, 10:48 PM   #23
asis80

Hmmm, I think I do need to fight that saturation urge after taking an umpteenth look. I guess it's all that dead look around here I don't like.

Ben
Old 01-17-2011, 10:52 PM   #24
Ween

Ben,

You are in denial...just like Joe Blue was when we were making fun of his coked out blue skies a while back!
Old 01-17-2011, 10:56 PM   #25
asis80

Is this a saturation intervention? Lol

Ben