Old 01-08-2011, 01:16 AM   #1
ExNavyDoc

Default The things we do for a "train picture"....

And no, I didn't get the shot. I had to leave after an hour due to a family commitment (I was froze anyway).

Thank God for weather-sealing...

Mike

My RP.net Photos Here

My Smugmug Galleries Here
ExNavyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:21 AM   #2
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Nice. Which body are you using?

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:27 AM   #3
ExNavyDoc

Nikon D300, FWIW.

Mike

My RP.net Photos Here

Old 01-08-2011, 02:42 AM   #4
magicman_841

That's the spirit!
Old 01-08-2011, 02:51 AM   #5
stlgevo51

Your not as hard core as the guy in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHBJCKQti9w
He stood on the tracks as the Challenger was coming right at him. You would think with all of the UP guys around that he would have been talked to.
Youtube Videos
stlgevo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:52 AM   #6
John Ryan

Send a message via AIM to John Ryan

The photos from this day of chasing were probably worth it, even if we did think we were going to spend the night in a laundromat, waiting for a tow truck.

Last edited by John Ryan; 01-08-2011 at 03:05 AM.
John Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:58 AM   #7
crazytiger

You gotta love the comment the instant before that happened, John.

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Friend
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 03:30 AM   #8
JimThias

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 03:41 AM   #9
coborn35

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ryan View Post

The photos from this day of chasing were probably worth it, even if we did think we were going to spend the night in a laundromat, waiting for a tow truck.
Hey it got me a PCA, id say it was worth it!
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 03:47 AM   #10
35mmguy

Okay, make a sandwich or something, grab a glass of tea or Hennessy or whatever you drink, this is a bit long but worth the read

Not my craziest but definitely ranks high up there.

I live near A. B was my destination.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...y_style/ab.jpg

So I loaded up the car and headed north. The subject was the morning train, a double-header container intermodal out of Miami, comes through here every morning around 8:30am. I left around 9, behind the train but it has to slow down through Titusville about halfway up to my destination. Track speed is max 55mph sometimes 60, and I-95 is usually 75mph, so the theory was I would get there before it did and not have to wait forever in the sun. The direction of the sunlight is what made me make the drive and you will see why in a minute here.

This is the location in question, a railroad bridge in remote Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge. Track speed is 55mph through here, and there are no grade crossings for miles so walking through here with Ipod blazing isn't wise. (I refuse to own one for this reason) Here is what happened.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...gy_style/2.jpg

I missed one detail, at the lower left where my car is parked (maroon rectangle) there is a canal. Not sure of depth and didn't want to find out judging from seeing these fvckers, show nearly lifesize. I'm not scared of spiders but this one here creeped me out, especially walking under it twice

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...e/holycrap.jpg

so I went with Plan B, to enter through the refuge. The plan was originally park here walk over the bridge into the fish camp. Now I have to drive to the refuge and walk, okay not too bad. The light, as shown, hits the bridge at a near perfect 90* angle, illuminating the side of the locomotives (FEC and their direction) and a small portion of the front, making for some good lighting. Nowhere else in the county (or for about 200 miles both ways) can I seize this kind of opportunity. Here is where it gets fun.

Yellow was the original route. Red was Plan B, which I made the mistake of going 40 through instead of the 15mph sign I saw after I went airborne over a bridge. Good sign placement job, Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge. You rock, literally. Rallyprobe ftl

That didn't work, until I got to the end and saw the railroad and the fish camp and knew where I was. I headed a bit north to the fish camp, the county hadn't opened the gates yet so I couldn't drive there. With no aerial view of the road, I wasn't taking any chances, so I went with the dreaded Plan C, walk the entire length of the railroad trackside through the refuge (borders it on the east part) to the bridge. It's about 1 3/4 miles one way. In the Florida 85*F sun, carrying my Digital Rebel, and a Minolta Maxxum 4 35mm, two bags one with some liquid refreshment the other with lenses, video camera and a tripod. I come ****ing prepared.

By now it is 10:30 and this train should have already rolled through here. After Titusville it's 60mph of straight nothing alongside the river and the engineers drop the hammer on those new SD70's, which are 4300HP a piece, two of them that's 8600HP. They're REALLY fast, a fully loaded 150-car train with two of those things pulling can get to 55mph from a standstill in a shade over a mile and I'm not joking.

So I walked the whole length of the railroad, signals in view. I got to the camp and the second I set my equipment down I heard the unmistakable sound of a Leslie RS3L horn. Talk about impeccable timing. 45 minutes of driving, half an hour of walking for about 3 minutes of shooting.

I grabbed both cameras, hastily setup the video camera, and made my way to the first green dot with the arrow.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...gy_style/4.jpg

A triple header, 3 locomotives, SD40, and two SD70M-2's = 11,000HP. I fired away, and got these. Not too bad, could have been better though. These are digital, I fired off some of the Elite Chrome as well and spent the roll.

The second green dot is where I should have shot, no trees to block the view and a better angle on the power.

Video

YouTube - Florida East Coast Railway in the Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge 11-3-10

I did revisit this location again, next post
Old 01-08-2011, 03:58 AM   #11
Dennis A. Livesey

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNavyDoc View Post

And no, I didn't get the shot. I had to leave after an hour due to a family commitment (I was froze anyway).

I chalk up shots like this to photog machismo. "My camera is so tough it works even encrusted in snow!"

A single, simple clear plastic bag is cheap insurance that the camera will actually work when that train shows up. After all, the camera is water resistant, not waterproof.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:06 AM   #12
35mmguy

The FEC ran a special through here recently, with 4 passenger rail cars for the intermodal convention in Ft. Lauderdale, I did the same location, except I biked in on this beast

carrying ALL of this, and for those of you who think your DSLR's are big and heavy, until you have shot a Nikkormat and carried a bag of lenses for one, I don't want to hear anything about a "big clunky SLR" 2nd one from the right.

it all fits in here

http://www.guvmentcheese.com/jd0gg/p...e/DSCF4107.jpg

and the shot, I ran out of local memory right after this so missed a wide angle. oops

Old 01-08-2011, 04:31 AM   #13
coborn35

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35mmguy View Post
Long Story
I did revisit this location again, next post
Maybe a shortsleeve shirt or shorts would have helped...
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:35 AM   #14
Watain
-_-

Send a message via MSN to Watain

I haven't done anything too extreme for a picture.

I walked a half a mile for this shot:

Image © Wayne Stumbo
PhotoID: 233967
Photograph © Wayne Stumbo

I had my boot sucked off when I stepped into 4 feet of mud getting this one.:

Image © Wayne Stumbo
PhotoID: 235848

Almost fell climbing to the top of a hill for this one. A fellow RP contributor was there to make sure I didn't fall.:

Image © Wayne Stumbo
PhotoID: 261768

Could barely see to drive when I got this one:

Image © Wayne Stumbo
PhotoID: 257381
Watain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:37 AM   #15
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNavyDoc View Post

If the camera is bellow 32f and the snow dry no cover is needed, Looks like wet snow as it is sticking in that case I have a hanky and a rubber band to stop most of the snow. A cheep 1" paint brush works wonders at dusting snow off to, Just some of the odd things I carry over the years that come in handy.

If one wants a better but cheep cover an old water proof jacket cut at the arm making long snoot for the lens and cut the shoulder to fall over the camera if one wants to tinker?

A light colored one would work great in the hot sun to or a Camouflage one if one likes to hide from cops or wildlife.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:50 AM   #16
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Wandering to far from a car is life threatening most days shooting plow trains besides one wants to get ahead for more shots too can't get to far from it. Probably, -5 and a wind chill in the -20's Here is Craig and I shooting a DME and CP power on the old ICE lines in Northern Western Iowa. Here is Craig down in the drift after the last shot showing how deep it is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cp s 5972mp155.jpg (383.4 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg cp s 5972jordonwings.jpg (427.9 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg cp s 5972c.jpg (357.4 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg craigdrift.jpg (622.5 KB, 85 views)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/

Last edited by milwman; 01-08-2011 at 08:59 AM.
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:54 AM   #17
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Loyd Lowry and I sat on rocks in the middle of the New River for 5 hours during the heart of the summer. Sounds simple enough, but it was pitch black and we're miles and miles from civilization. We both got PCA's, so I can justify it now.

Image © Chase Gunnoe
PhotoID: 329447
Photograph © Chase Gunnoe

Image © Loyd Lowry
PhotoID: 331664
Photograph © Loyd Lowry

Have also hiked up the side of the mountain with Loyd to get a good overview of the NRG.
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:27 AM   #18
troy12n
Banned

Thurmond-McKendry road, enough said...
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:53 AM   #19
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase55671 View Post
Loyd Lowry and I sat on rocks in the middle of the New River for 5 hours during the heart of the summer. Sounds simple enough, but it was pitch black and we're miles and miles from civilization. We both got PCA's, so I can justify it now.

Image © Chase Gunnoe
PhotoID: 329447
Photograph © Chase Gunnoe

Image © Loyd Lowry
PhotoID: 331664
Photograph © Loyd Lowry

I figured the shot was going to be worth it, I was having doubts about 4 hours into it though.

Quote:
Have also hiked up the side of the mountain with Loyd to get a good overview of the NRG.
Image © Loyd Lowry
PhotoID: 279015
Photograph © Loyd Lowry

There aren't too many people who have been to this spot, or even know of it. Just take Chase and I's word that it's no stroll with the dogs to get up there.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:41 PM   #20
35mmguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
Maybe a shortsleeve shirt or shorts would have helped...
I thought about it, but it was a lot cooler when I left, I got there around 10:30 and spent a half hour walking in, it warmed up QUICK.

I decided to keep the long sleeves and jeans because of all of the woods I had to walk through.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:23 PM   #21
ExNavyDoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwman View Post
If the camera is bellow 32f and the snow dry no cover is needed, Looks like wet snow as it is sticking in that case I have a hanky and a rubber band to stop most of the snow. A cheep 1" paint brush works wonders at dusting snow off to, Just some of the odd things I carry over the years that come in handy.

If one wants a better but cheep cover an old water proof jacket cut at the arm making long snoot for the lens and cut the shoulder to fall over the camera if one wants to tinker?

A light colored one would work great in the hot sun to or a Camouflage one if one likes to hide from cops or wildlife.
I do have a Storm Jacket thingy I use on my long glass when shooting soccer:

But I should get one or carry a plastic bag for the shorter lenses. I like the idea of a small paintbrush, thanks for the tip. It was about 18F yesterday morning and the snow was dry, but it was sticking to the warm camera. The pic is right after a very heavy squall came in off the lake; 15 minutes earlier and you couldn't see even 1/3 of the way across the bridge.

Mike

My RP.net Photos Here

Old 01-08-2011, 04:16 PM   #22
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
There aren't too many people who have been to this spot, or even know of it. Just take Chase and I's word that it's no stroll with the dogs to get up there
My last trip to the NRV cost me a new set of tires for my truck when I got back. I had to replace 3 over multiple occasions (thanks C Adam Toney tires in Oak Hill, WV) with used ones to allow me to limp through the rest of my trip. One time I was stuck at the bottom of the gorge and they had to send a tow truck to get me out, the driver loved that one... what an adventure. I maxxed out my AAA "free towing" allowance for the year on 1 trip, good thing it resets in March.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:07 PM   #23
stlgevo51

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd
There aren't too many people who have been to this spot, or even know of it. Just take Chase and I's word that it's no stroll with the dogs to get up there.
I can tell. It is a really great location, and no one ever has shots from there. In fact, I've almost never seen shots of the New River Bridge on RP.
Youtube Videos
stlgevo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:31 PM   #24
IHapsias

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
I figured the shot was going to be worth it, I was having doubts about 4 hours into it though.

Image © Loyd Lowry
PhotoID: 279015
Photograph © Loyd Lowry

Loyd L.
How often does CSX even run through this location?
Old 01-08-2011, 07:51 PM   #25
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHapsias View Post
How often does CSX even run through this location?
I think it's safe to assume between 8-15 trains a day 24 hours + 1 amtrak each way 3 days a week. There is a main track on each side of the river here, and mostly Eastbounds use the track on the left side of that picture and Westbounds use the main on the right. It's like 65% coal, 30% grain, 5% mixed frieght (1 each way daily + locals) and 1% passenger