Old 05-26-2008, 11:06 PM   #51
River Rails Photography
Banned
 
River Rails Photography's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 404
Send a message via AIM to River Rails Photography
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC

those dont look very good......... i mean in quality
River Rails Photography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 11:35 PM   #52
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Rails Photography
those dont look very good......... i mean in quality
I can't speak regarding the CR123 substitutes but sterlingtek seems to have acquired a following on the web in the photography boards. Based on the statements I had read over the years, I went ahead and purchased a few and have had no problems.
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 11:45 PM   #53
Slopes09
Senior Member
 
Slopes09's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Here.
Posts: 837
Send a message via AIM to Slopes09
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Rails Photography
My canon powershot A560 HATES the AA's, chews em up after a single outing WITHOUT FLASH!!!!!! another reason for a new camera...
P&S cameras eat up batteries very quickly, in general. SLR's are far more battery efficient than P&S cameras. I've done a day of flash photography w/ my SLR and had battery to spare (read: over a hundred images).
__________________
-Mike W.
Railroad Civil Engineer

Pretty much the only Pentax Shooter.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 04:13 AM   #54
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainboysd40

Back on to the subject of batteries, I wish I had a grip for my rebel. But not for the AA batteries. It's just so bloody small! I have a grip for my Elan, though, and use it all the time since I've never seen rechargeable CR123s.
I HIGHLY recommend the grip for the Rebel. Heck, even the 5D didn't feel "right" in my hands without the grip, so I bought one a few days after getting the camera. Not only does the camera feel more comfortable to hold, but having two batteries instead of one really helps out a lot if you're out shooting all day.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 05:14 AM   #55
Watain
-_-
 
Watain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hiltons, Virginia, USA
Posts: 953
Send a message via MSN to Watain
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B.
The more you use it the easier it will be and you'll find that once you get the composition right, you don't have to worry about it again.
Yeah I am going to play around with it next time I go out shooting.
Watain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 05:23 AM   #56
Watain
-_-
 
Watain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hiltons, Virginia, USA
Posts: 953
Send a message via MSN to Watain
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Rails Photography
How many do (or did) you use? mine only uses two spend alot on them.....
Uh it uses 2 I still use it for videos....but as far as photos fughetaboutit. As far as Point and Shoots using a lot of battery power....I have an Olympus D-90(around 8 or 9 years old) and the batteries that are in it are the same ones thats been in there for about 5 years, and they havent died yet.
Watain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 08:02 PM   #57
River Rails Photography
Banned
 
River Rails Photography's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 404
Send a message via AIM to River Rails Photography
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watain
Uh it uses 2 I still use it for videos....but as far as photos fughetaboutit. As far as Point and Shoots using a lot of battery power....I have an Olympus D-90(around 8 or 9 years old) and the batteries that are in it are the same ones thats been in there for about 5 years, and they havent died yet.
Is this a pun? Do you still use the camera? If you do, that is incredible! Never heard of that before...... Olympus does seem to have pretty good battery life, from my experience with an FE-200 that rechargeable Li-ion batteries..... could get 3 or so outings that consisted of of about 2.5 hours of shooting, so mine was not TOO great, but it was pretty good. (compared to the current cam)
River Rails Photography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 06:04 AM   #58
trainboysd40
Senior Member
 
trainboysd40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Calgary, Alberta on the CP Laggan Subdivision
Posts: 2,048
Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
I HIGHLY recommend the grip for the Rebel. Heck, even the 5D didn't feel "right" in my hands without the grip, so I bought one a few days after getting the camera. Not only does the camera feel more comfortable to hold, but having two batteries instead of one really helps out a lot if you're out shooting all day.
I'll probably get one for whatever FF I eventually get, but for now I'll manage. It's only an XT, after all...
__________________
got a D5 IIi and now he doesnt afread fo 12800 iSO
Youtube (Model Railway, Vlogs, Tutorials, and prototype)
My Website
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 06:46 AM   #59
Watain
-_-
 
Watain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hiltons, Virginia, USA
Posts: 953
Send a message via MSN to Watain
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Rails Photography
Is this a pun? Do you still use the camera? If you do, that is incredible! Never heard of that before...... Olympus does seem to have pretty good battery life, from my experience with an FE-200 that rechargeable Li-ion batteries..... could get 3 or so outings that consisted of of about 2.5 hours of shooting, so mine was not TOO great, but it was pretty good. (compared to the current cam)
Well my olympus doesnt use AA's it uses CV's or something like that....I rarely use the camera strictly a back up God forbid something happend to my D80.


Quote:
Originally Posted by trainboysd40
I'll probably get one for whatever FF I eventually get, but for now I'll manage. It's only an XT, after all...
I need to get a battery grip for my camera...It just feels better with a vertical grip. The battery would last forever I suppose.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=449071&is=REG
Watain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 06:47 AM   #60
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watain
I need to get a battery grip for my camera...It just feels better with a vertical grip. The battery would last forever I suppose.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=449071&is=REG

Take the plunge, Wayne. You'll be glad you did.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:34 AM   #61
milwman
I shoot what I like
 
milwman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Cedar Fall's, Iowa
Posts: 2,474
Send a message via Yahoo to milwman
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
but having two batteries instead of one really helps out a lot if you're out shooting all day.
And if your out in the winter , just chilling out , for the fresh snow shot or plow, with two you have half chance of not draining them in the cold.
__________________
Richard Scott Marsh I go by Scott long story

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 11:21 AM   #62
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwman
And if your out in the winter , just chilling out , for the fresh snow shot or plow, with two you have half chance of not draining them in the cold.
I keep the spare(s) in an inner pocket as close to my body as possible/comfortable.
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 04:50 PM   #63
Watain
-_-
 
Watain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hiltons, Virginia, USA
Posts: 953
Send a message via MSN to Watain
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
Take the plunge, Wayne. You'll be glad you did.
Oh I plan to Jim sometime after I get my lens.
Watain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 05:02 PM   #64
willie6622
Senior Member
 
willie6622's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: The sprawling metropolis of Powhatan Point, Ohio
Posts: 158
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
I keep the spare(s) in an inner pocket as close to my body as possible/comfortable.
Keep spare memory cards (at least 1) packed with your gear too! I remember hiking about 20 minutes to a spot to take a hard to get shot only to find I left my card in my computer at home as I went to take the photo. I have always carried a couple of cards from that time on.
__________________
Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
willie6622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 08:17 PM   #65
River Rails Photography
Banned
 
River Rails Photography's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 404
Send a message via AIM to River Rails Photography
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie6622
Keep spare memory cards (at least 1) packed with your gear too! I remember hiking about 20 minutes to a spot to take a hard to get shot only to find I left my card in my computer at home as I went to take the photo. I have always carried a couple of cards from that time on.

Ahhhhh, thats gotta suck ! What about the built in memory?
River Rails Photography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 08:31 PM   #66
Ween
Senior Member
 
Ween's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,861
Default

Quote:
What about the built in memory?
There's no built in memory in the XT...
__________________
Ween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 09:50 PM   #67
River Rails Photography
Banned
 
River Rails Photography's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 404
Send a message via AIM to River Rails Photography
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
There's no built in memory in the XT...



LOL okay, not an XT user [yet], wouldnt know that!
River Rails Photography is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.