Old 10-14-2016, 01:40 AM   #1
Joseph Cermak

Default Beyond Going Away

Thought this might have a chance against going away with the sunset sky and smoke from the ACe. Guess not....

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...97&key=5105554
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 01:55 AM   #2
troy12n
Banned

Sorry, no...
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 02:12 AM   #3
Joseph Cermak

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
Sorry, no...
Well thanks for the helpful comments. Got a great reception on flickr though »\_(ツ)_/»
Old 10-14-2016, 02:31 AM   #4
JRMDC

EDIT: I don't know what happened but the link in this thread was opening to the signal bridge shot. Comments transferred to the other thread.

Sky might be more interesting if it were in proximity to the train. That's a big gap. The smoke here is not interesting smoke, if anything it simply disappears. To my eye the trailing unit grabs the attention because of the strength and size of its color block. Not a good thing. And it's a blah sort of semi-dark, the worst kind, really. Not a fan.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 10-14-2016 at 02:40 AM.
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 03:12 AM   #5
Joseph Cermak

JMRDC, thank you for your comments, as they actually provided me some insight that I can learn from as a new photographer. I guess to me any smoke is interesting smoke having never seen stream trains nor seeing diesels with that much smoke before where I'm from.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:46 PM   #6
bigbassloyd

Image © Loyd Lowry
PhotoID: 511279
Photograph © Loyd Lowry

Image © Loyd Lowry
PhotoID: 412223
Photograph © Loyd Lowry

Interesting diesel exhaust

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 10:46 PM   #7
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Cermak View Post
Well thanks for the helpful comments. Got a great reception on flickr though »\_(ツ)_/»
Do you want me to line by line pick your photo apart?

Seriously, look around at what gets accepted here, and then ask yourself, do you see anything like what you submitted??

The answer is no.

And just because something gets views on Flickr means nothing.

This place has it's issues, but I have to say they got that rejection right
Old 10-14-2016, 11:17 PM   #8
Joseph Cermak

Quote:
Do you want me to line by line pick your photo apart?

Seriously, look around at what gets accepted here, and then ask yourself, do you see anything like what you submitted??

The answer is no.

And just because something gets views on Flickr means nothing.

Look man I'm just trying to learn and improve. So i'd rather recieve criticism of substance or no reply. That's one of my personal favorite shots and to me "going away" is as silly as a rejection reason as "open cab door." Sure it's got some lighting issues, but I'm looking for HELPFUL criticism and advice so that I can learn. At the end of the day I don't care if my stuff gets on RP, I just want to learn as a photographer.
Old 10-15-2016, 12:15 AM   #9
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Look man I'm just trying to learn and improve. So i'd rather recieve criticism of substance or no reply. That's one of my personal favorite shots and to me "going away" is as silly as a rejection reason as "open cab door." Sure it's got some lighting issues, but I'm looking for HELPFUL criticism and advice so that I can learn. At the end of the day I don't care if my stuff gets on RP, I just want to learn as a photographer.
So, on the surface, I would agree with you that there's nothing wrong with "going away" shots.

However, I need to qualify that with the statement that it has to be interesting.

Your shot is a ground-level, tight shot of a few locomotives and about 1/6 of a covered hopper at an uninteresting angle.

The background is not exactly in focus, the lighting sucks to the point that there's not much detail.

You mention the exhaust, but you really have to look to even notice it because it blends in with the background scenery in a dark mess

The cropping sucks, the signal box, shed and power pole with the sodium vapor light on it add nothing to the shot.

The sky, looks ok, but because the lighting sucks, it also draws attention away from the train, which you can barely see.

DO I need to go on?

Sorry you dont like my one-liner type comments, but some of this stuff is pretty obvious.
Old 10-15-2016, 12:21 AM   #10
Joseph Cermak

Quote:

Sorry you dont like my one-liner type comments, but some of this stuff is pretty obvious.
As someone new to the hobby, more information is only going to help me learn. Don't want to help/teach, don't comment. A lot of what you mentioned is not obvious to someone like me, and like I said I'm only looking to improve and learn.

Besides, my other shots you said were "not very good" but after some help from other forum members,I was able to get accepted and made it to Top of 24.
Old 10-15-2016, 12:33 AM   #11
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
As someone new to the hobby, more information is only going to help me learn. Don't want to help/teach, don't comment. A lot of what you mentioned is not obvious to someone like me, and like I said I'm only looking to improve and learn.

Besides, my other shots you said were "not very good" but after some help from other forum members,I was able to get accepted and made it to Top of 24.
The fact that you got them on does not make them interesting or good photos...

Seriously, I can't believe they let that Moffat Tunnel shot on

And 3 of your shots seem to be at some uninteresting grade crossing. I'm not going to insult any more of your stuff.

Some constructive criticism would be, look at accepted shots which get lots of views, and then look at your shots. See what the differences are?

I don't claim to be any great photographer, but I also don't just stand next to the tracks and shoot. Which it appears is what you are doing.
Old 10-15-2016, 12:39 AM   #12
Joseph Cermak

Quote:
The fact that you got them on does not make them interesting or good photos...

Seriously, I can't believe they let that Moffat Tunnel shot on
Regardless of how awful you think it is, the viewers of the site enjoyed it and that's enough to make me happy.

Quote:
I don't claim to be any great photographer, but I also don't just stand next to the tracks and shoot. Which it appears is what you are doing.
Yes you're right that they are from the same location. If I shoot at one location can I only ever do that once? It also just happens to be what I have been able to get accepted so far. With only 2 upload slots, mostly used making corrections as I learn. it can take a long time to get a wider variety of shots on.
Old 10-15-2016, 12:45 AM   #13
miningcamper1

Hmmmm. This shouldn't be a food fight.

Anyway, I'd sharpen, lower the highlights, and bring up the shadows a bit. Maybe enhance orange a little. And make all that litter disappear.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 12:27 PM   #14
Mr. Pick

This picture could be improved with processing a good bit, but it's not as interesting as your shot of this same train that did get accepted. Sometimes you have to pick your best shot from a series and go with it and not go back to the same well too soon.
Mr. Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 07:51 PM   #15
Rene de Vries

Hello Joseph,

I have to side with troy here, his criticism may sound harsh but that is actually the best way to improve your photography.

Quote:
Regardless of how awful you think it is, the viewers of the site enjoyed it and that's enough to make me happy.
Well, if that makes you happy... fair enough. However, please bear in mind, that just because something was "liked" a lot, doesn't mean you did something right.

Or to say it differently, just because people favorite your pictures, doesn't necessarily mean it is a good picture.

If you really want to learn, that you have to develop a thicker skin, you have to be able to accept criticism, even if it is harsh and not sugarcoated..

Kind regards

RenÚ

ps. @ Troy,
Quote:
That is definitely the understatement of the month. Screening is really a joke (and with "awkward composition" you can basically reject every single picture).
Unless of course that picture is uploaded by "certain members"... in that case things as bad lighting, awkward composition etc. go straight out of the window...
Rene de Vries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 10:06 PM   #16
Joseph Cermak

Rene,
I don't mind criticism at all. I only took issue with the comment of "sorry no" because that is not criticism I can learn from.