Old 04-20-2012, 07:36 PM   #76
JRMDC

nice idea, Ron, to complement the appearance of the latest unit with a shot of a predecessor

Image © Collection of Ron Flanary
PhotoID: 395564
Photograph © Collection of Ron Flanary

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 04-20-2012, 07:49 PM   #77
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
nice idea, Ron, to complement the appearance of the latest unit with a shot of a predecessor

Actually, that was Mr. Starnes' idea. I was bone tired last night, but he created this account (for shots from my collection---to which I may add some more later on). I just e-mailed the photo and info.

He and I both noted some comments like "....what's the Interstate?" for the just-released heritage unit. Sometimes I forget that everyone isn't as old as me.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:08 PM   #78
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Flanary View Post
Actually, that was Mr. Starnes' idea. I was bone tired last night, but he created this account (for shots from my collection---to which I may add some more later on). I just e-mailed the photo and info.

He and I both noted some comments like "....what's the Interstate?" for the just-released heritage unit. Sometimes I forget that everyone isn't as old as me.

Geeze Ron... builder's photo or not... couldn't you wait for better lighting?

(if emoticon is not enough... I AM KIDDING... I love that image).
Old 04-20-2012, 08:13 PM   #79
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

I had never heard of Interstate until this photo:

Image © Ron Flanary
PhotoID: 369376
Photograph © Ron Flanary
Old 04-20-2012, 10:11 PM   #80
Larry76

Its sorta surprising how many people hadnt heard of the INT. My dad shot a couple of the RS3's being used by Southern in Atlanta in 1965 just before they got tuxedo paint. In later years those were relettered completely from Interstate to Southern with only small INT sublettering. After that about 7 units carried INT sublettering as Southern/NS units. 2 SW1500's (2330-2331), GP38AC 2877, GP38-2 5053, 2 SD40-2's (3326, 3327) and U23B 3914. Ironically few of these probably even ran on INT.
Larry
Old 04-20-2012, 11:14 PM   #81
troy12n
Banned

I thought I had read somewhere that the Interstate RS3's could only MU with other Interstate RS3's.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:31 PM   #82
JimThias

Quote:

That reminds me...just ONCE I want to see a brand new unit roll out with knuckles that aren't rusty. Do they come from the factory that way, or are these railroads recycling previously used and rusty knuckles? The silver-painted knuckle on that locomotive looks awesome. I know it's probably not practical to paint them any more, but why are they so quick to get a coat of rust on them if they are brand new?

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
Old 04-20-2012, 11:40 PM   #83
BurghMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
That reminds me...just ONCE I want to see a brand new unit roll out with knuckles that aren't rusty. Do they come from the factory that way, or are these railroads recycling previously used and rusty knuckles? The silver-painted knuckle on that locomotive looks awesome. I know it's probably not practical to paint them any more, but why are they so quick to get a coat of rust on them if they are brand new?
I'm not sure about knuckles but painting wheels (not trucks) is now a no-no because the paint makes it harder to spot defects such as hairline cracks. Painting knuckles might be taboo for the same reason.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:56 PM   #84
Freericks
Met Fan

I've heard the same thing about knuckles. They are not permitted to paint them because it makes it much harder to spot defects. Brand new ones are rusty.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:22 AM   #85
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
I've heard the same thing about knuckles. They are not permitted to paint them because it makes it much harder to spot defects. Brand new ones are rusty.
They must sit around for some time at wherever they are forged before being shipped out for usage.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
Old 04-21-2012, 12:30 AM   #86
BurghMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
They must sit around for some time at wherever they are forged before being shipped out for usage.
It doesn't take long for hardened steel to develop a rust coating. I was at the car shop the other day when a new shipment of wheels arrived. They were brand new with bright blue roller bearing caps. But the wheels themselves already developed a coating of rust. Are wheels and knuckles made with Corten steel? It is designed to quickly develop a coating of rust which actually protects the steel underneath. The US Steel Building is the tallest skyscraper in Pittsburgh and it is made out of Corten steel.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:31 AM   #87
jac_murphy

EDIT: nevermind.

-Jacques

Last edited by jac_murphy; 04-21-2012 at 12:34 AM.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:48 AM   #88
Larry76

Its an FRA violation to paint couplers for the reasons stated (covers up potential defects). NS did paint the coupler pockets silver on 8105 even if they couldnt do the entire coupler.
Larry
Old 04-21-2012, 06:06 AM   #89
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Charles, another shameless plug for another book! This time subtle, subconscious! Consciously no one will remember that your new avatar is the cover of your new book! (I remember! And I'm not buying it! Of course, I don't live in SoCal either.)
If you make the connection to the book, J, then it's not subliminal. Actually, if I was doing that, my avatar would be the book cover... hmmm... maybe.... watch this space.

Please make a companion version of DC locals and I will buy it.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:40 AM   #90
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry76 View Post
Its an FRA violation to paint couplers for the reasons stated (covers up potential defects). NS did paint the coupler pockets silver on 8105 even if they couldnt do the entire coupler.
Larry
Correct...and same for the wheels. Of course that wasn't a requirement in 1953, when the units were new.

And...the Interstate's RS3s could only m.u. with themselves (rather than other Southern RS3s, for example). In the earlier days of dieselization, there were no solid standards for m.u. connections. It could be an array of electrical and pneumatic hoses and cable connections. Even as late as 1967, for example, there were four different types of m.u. controls listed for the locomotives of the L&N. You had to carry a locomotive summary to know what kinds of units would match up.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:20 PM   #91
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurghMan View Post
Are wheels and knuckles made with Corten steel? It is designed to quickly develop a coating of rust which actually protects the steel underneath.
Interesting tidbit of info. That could be the answer.

Anyway, for future releases like this, they should pay some kid to take a wire brush to each knuckle to scrub off the rust before pics are taken.

Old 04-21-2012, 02:11 PM   #92
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
If you make the connection to the book, J, then it's not subliminal. Actually, if I was doing that, my avatar would be the book cover... hmmm... maybe.... watch this space.

Please make a companion version of DC locals and I will buy it.
Fine, it's liminal! It's liminal!

As giving speeches to empty rooms in the Capitol is our only industry, it may not surprise you that we don't have much in the way of local trains to provide raw materials for that industry. Much to my consternation, there is not much here in the way of local yards.

I could probably get all the relevant info on the back of a business card.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 04-21-2012, 03:53 PM   #93
jac_murphy

Quote:
Fine, it's liminal! It's liminal!

As giving speeches to empty rooms in the Capitol is our only industry, it may not surprise you that we don't have much in the way of local trains to provide raw materials for that industry. Much to my consternation, there is not much here in the way of local yards.

I could probably get all the relevant info on the back of a business card.
...or is it SUPER-liminal? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xx4BsBr2fU

With respect to the couplers, after doing some poking around (and asking my father) it seems that they're not quite Cor-Ten steel, but a different, stronger alloy that weathers in very much the same way to form a passivation layer and protect the steel below.

One question, though - I was under the impression that the Chinese painted their locomotives' drivers red in order to highlight any hairline cracks that would develop. What makes it different here?

-Jacques
Old 04-21-2012, 07:38 PM   #94
jnohallman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac_murphy View Post
I was under the impression that the Chinese painted their locomotives' drivers red in order to highlight any hairline cracks that would develop.
-Jacques
I just assumed they painted them red because they were communists.

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
Old 04-21-2012, 07:55 PM   #95
coborn35

LOL
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
Old 04-21-2012, 08:18 PM   #96
willie6622

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
NS went to the trouble to hire someone to pay someone to shoot the units. That tells me they really dont care how they turn out...

Obviously not a professional photographer, but hey, they are paying him, right? If they really didnt care, they would just have "bubba, the second trick hostler who just got him a brand new iPhone" to shoot them
The NS company photographer is a VERY ACCOMPLISED photographer. I'm no hack & he puts me to shame.. I think maybe O.Winston Link if he were still around would have the right to criticise his photos, but that is about it...

This whole thread has me shaking my head.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:46 PM   #97
jnohallman

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie6622 View Post
He's a poet and don't even know it.

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
Old 04-21-2012, 10:16 PM   #98
JimThias

Quote:
I'm no hack & he puts me to shame.

Come on now, don't discount your photographic ability like that. Now you have me shaking my head.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:16 PM   #99
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
The NS company photographer is a VERY ACCOMPLISED photographer. I'm no hack & he puts me to shame.. I think maybe O.Winston Link if he were still around would have the right to criticise his photos, but that is about it...
He certainly has quite a bit of flash equipment. I think comparing him to OWL is laughable. The guy is a decent enough photog, but let's not start throwing out comparisons like that.

Last edited by troy12n; 04-21-2012 at 11:24 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:05 AM   #100
Larry76

FYI...Casey doesnt even upload his best stuff here...those images hang in the chairman's office and the NS corporate headquarters in Norfolk. And if you think Im kiddin - Id suggest playing the lottery. For those who have been supportive and complimentary - thank you. For the others... you can be a hater all you want. In the end he is making history...making beautiful photographs and getting a nice salary to go with it. NS has put alot of faith in him and they made an excellant choice in doing so. I couldnt be more proud of him as a friend and colleague
Larry.

Last edited by Larry76; 04-22-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Closed Thread