Old 01-01-2011, 09:49 PM   #26
troy12n
Banned

Jimmy Hoffa is buried in yankee stadium, I thought everyone knew that
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:46 PM   #27
Dennis A. Livesey

Everyone knows he was buried under the concourse of section 107 which was in a corner of the west end zone of Giants Stadium in E. Rutherford, New Jersey.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:05 PM   #28
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
Everyone knows he was buried under the concourse of section 107 which was in a corner of the west end zone of Giants Stadium in E. Rutherford, New Jersey.
That was the old stadium. Didn't they tear it down last year?
Old 01-01-2011, 11:46 PM   #29
JRMDC

Quote:
It was checked out. I don't know how well, but they tried.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythBus...ed_in_Concrete

He was last seen in suburban Detroit, not NYC.

J

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:34 AM   #30
troy12n
Banned

Damn, I must have had my stadiums mixxed up
Old 01-04-2011, 02:21 AM   #31
lock4244

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post
I wonder if it's demise would have been as well publicized without the Paul Simon song?
I doubt it made any difference. The fact that Kodachrome was a part of so many people's lives is why it's end is so well publicized. Many folks that used it for family photography in the 1960's, 70's and 80's would have not even thought it still existed, and I think the end of the product will bring back alot of memories for many. Might even get some to drag out the old slide projector in a Clark Griswoldian fashion.

CD's are so dead... they have none of the analogue qualities that LP's and the like had. Except for the guy who owns the rights to the jewel case, doubtful many will lament their passing.

Insert witty comment here

Hot girl on girl action here!

More Pics Here
lock4244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:39 AM   #32
Dennis A. Livesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by lock4244 View Post

CD's are so dead... they have none of the analogue qualities that LP's and the like had. Except for the guy who owns the rights to the jewel case, doubtful many will lament their passing.
The jewel cases sucked but I dropped LP's like a hot potato in the early 80's when I got my CD player.

The sound was so clear and no more hiss, snap, crackle, pop of LP's. The only thing to miss was the cover that you could hold and read and muse upon.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Old 01-04-2011, 02:43 AM   #33
Dennis A. Livesey

Awaiting the return of my last roll.

According to Charles, who said he heard on the radio, Dwayne's is going to process past the December 30 deadline until they run out of chemicals.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

Old 01-04-2011, 02:47 AM   #34
Chris Z

Send a message via Skype™ to Chris Z

Quote:
The sound was so clear and no more hiss, snap, crackle, pop of LP's. The only thing to miss was the cover that you could hold and read and muse upon.
I still have my LP's and play them on my Dual CS622 turntable. Use of D-stat preserves the album and eliminates all that snap, crackle, and pop. I still listen to them because in comparison the CD's sound flat. Sort of like looking at a cloudy day shot. The LP's are vivid.

Chris Z
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:20 AM   #35
Dennis A. Livesey

I go as far as loving steam and old Kodachrome.

I draw the line with LP's. Digital is so much clearer and so much more realistic to my ear.

The warmth of LP's escapes me. All I hear is hiss, rumble, limited dynamic and spacial sense. Listening to 50 year old music today in digital from the master tapes beats the heck out of an LP then or now. It's like hearing for the first time what the musicians actually wanted me to hear.

Yes, if I am fortunate to have a pristine album, no pops or clicks on my multi $$$ music system.

Then I hook up iTunes and life is even better.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

Old 01-04-2011, 03:29 AM   #36
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Yeah, just tonight I went into a local record store and couldn't find a CD anywhere. Just LPs and 8 tracks. I asked where the CDs were and the guy behind the counter said, "CDs are so dead. We stopped selling them."

Old 01-05-2011, 01:28 AM   #37
lock4244

I bought her two CD's for Christmas. She doesn't have an iPod, and won't for many years...

More Pics Here
Old 01-06-2011, 09:05 PM   #38
BarrySr

Send a message via Yahoo to BarrySr

Quote:
When I read that Jim DeNike, 53, a "railroad worker" from Arkansas, had spent $15,000, got 1580 rolls developed, and that all those 50,000 Kodachrome shots were of trains,

I got a big stupid grin on my face all morning.
If you guys only knew, you'd all grin from ear to ear.

Jim and I were compadres back in the day; from the late 70s to late 80s we were in-the-trenches-warriors chasin' the sun, watchin' the weather channel at 2 minutes and 32 minutes past, jumping up and down at that ONE cloud in the sky, raiding Target at night buying up every last roll of KM dates 6-9 months out, grilling out all night labeling mailers to Findlay, Ohio, and on and on. Most of my rosters and train shots here on RP that are in Texas had Jim on the right side of me; right side 'cause Jim would "hand test" the exposure with his right hand, me with my left. Don't know how many tens of thousands of miles we logged chasing the Santa Fe in Texas, and every sunlit roster shot in between, blowing the horn at every cow and flock of birds in our midst. Man, those were some fun times, and I wish we could relive just a few of them.

The reporter got it wrong that he borrowed money from his Dad's retirement account...it was actually his OWN retirement account; he and his dad are named the same.

Jim ("Chunga" to me, Mark Lynn, Tim Jones and othes) was definitely a character; but my longest known friend of all time.

And FWIW, his 15 minutes of fame are not over, they are just beginning; stay tuned.....

"I dug 'dem boats when diggin' em wasn't cool"

"Why are the crazy people so enamorate of all things EMD?" [Holloran Grade]

View My Photos on Railpictures.net
BarrySr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:23 PM   #39
Indecline

I've got 600-700 or lp's in great shape that I'd be happy to sell as a lot for $10,000. Classic rock from the 60's - 80's including some alternative. Some are european pressings, some are from Japan. Most played once to three time on a high end turntable to record on tape.

They sit and sit, I just haven't found a good enough reason to unpack the turnable again.
Indecline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:23 PM   #40
crazytiger

Sounds awesome, Barry!

We'd love to see some of his shots on here of course...

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Friend
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:33 PM   #41
lock4244

Lookin' forward to seeing Jim's work. I must admit, when it comes to viewing shots on RP, the older ones are getting more and more of my attention.

Haven't seen anything new for you in some time Barry... least not here.

More Pics Here
Old 01-06-2011, 09:47 PM   #42
JRMDC

Cool stuff, Barry, thanks so much for taking the time to pop in and tell us about it.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:53 PM   #43
troy12n
Banned

I wanna see some of that guys 14 grand worth of slides. Hopefully it's all not BNSF wedgies.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:21 AM   #44
35mmguy

Oh good, glad to see a Kodachrome topic here too.

I did a 4-roll project over the past 6 months and brought it with me everywhere, all my A-material is on these slides. I would shoot digital until I saw something I liked, then shoot the Kodachrome, Portra 400vc and Neopan 1600 / Tmax 3200. I do a little bit of film. For what it's worth, I shot the K64 on a Nikkormat.

There's some railfan action on my project and I am anxious to get my slides back.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:19 PM   #45
BarrySr

Quote:
Lookin' forward to seeing Jim's work. I must admit, when it comes to viewing shots on RP, the older ones are getting more and more of my attention.

Haven't seen anything new for you in some time Barry... least not here.
It's not lack of desire, just the realization that though a WGRF grade roster may hold value for the old-timers like me and before, roster shots, by statement of many here and both the Chris', really don't dazzle. And there is nothing at all wrong with that.

So now I post rosters on Locophotos, and have decided that once I get cranked back up on scanning again (have about 90% of the amount of material Jim has - I hate EMDs and CF7s a little more than he does, lol), I'm only posting action here, and am going to be very selective. On LP, I only post the perfectly sunlit, un-front-coupled, brush cleared wedgies. I don't have everything re-scanned yet from here to post on LP either.

That's my plan and I'm stickin' to it. I'm reasonably sure I can get Jim's shots scanned over time and somehow legally post them here. He doesn't and hasn't shot crap; the man knows his way around a film camera, can hand-bomb it with the best of 'em, and knows his way to the WGRF. We both were mainly roster shooters, only later really going more artsy. But me, Mark ynn, Tim Jones, Dan Pope and a few others have our work cut out for us to get him on digital. Totally new parameters and workflow will likely throw him for a loop initially. Not for lack of ability, but hard-headedness; it took me 12 years from hanging up the Pentax MX to fully embracing digi; now I kick myself for not changing earlier. And Jim's more hard-headed than me, so...it may take a little while longer to get that Canon 1DS in his hand

It's just a matter of both of us getting time around family, ya know.....

Old 01-07-2011, 08:26 PM   #46
BarrySr

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
I wanna see some of that guys 14 grand worth of slides. Hopefully it's all not BNSF wedgies.
That man's $14K worth of slides go back to the 90s, and that man's $28K-30K worth of previous slides go back to the mid-70s, and encompass subjects that have 2 generations of razorblades as offspring.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:19 PM   #47
cblaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrySr View Post
I'm reasonably sure I can get Jim's shots scanned over time and somehow legally post them here.
If he's given you permission to post his shots, just create a member account for him and post away under his name. This way, all credit and copyright has his name attached. There's a number of current posters who are also uploading someone else's collection under separate names, so it seems RP doesn't have a problem with it.

- Chris
Old 01-07-2011, 11:11 PM   #48
JimThias

Quote:
Those here that only know digital will never know what it was like to shoot Kodachrome, and, IMO, what it was like to truly make a photograph. Digital opens some many possibilities, but it takes away a key element... knowing the film and how to use it. That view screen on the back of the camera takes away alot of the skill. If you shot Kodachrome, you know exactly what I mean by that.
I couldn't grasp the concept of manual settings and how aperture, shutter and ISO settings related to each other. Loving photography, I tried, I really did...my thick skull just couldn't process the info. The frustration caused me to be turned off to using a 35mm camera. It wasn't until I got a DSLR and saw instant results on the camera's screen that I finally start to grasp the concept. In two weeks, I learned and understood more about shooting manual than the previous 20+ years that I tried to learn it. So now I have a skill with photography that I never had using film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblaz View Post
Exactly. That's why I railed for so long against those that always touted RAW as a way to save your shots if you messed up the settings. With digital, there's no excuse for messing up the settings unless you don't know what you're doing. Shooting Kodachrome for a few years taught me more about cameras than digital ever could have. There were no test shots, no checking the histogram on the back of the camera; you had to know your settings and get it right the first time.

- Chris
Unfortunately, a camera's sensor can't duplicate the range of light that a human eye sees, so even if the image is properly exposed and you "got it right the first time," there is always going to be something you can tweak in a photograph to make it truer to how we actually see it.

You say you had to "know your settings." How did you learn those settings? How is learning those settings by using the histogram any different from being taught by someone or reading it in a book? The only difference is how you learn it, but the end result is all the same.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:39 PM   #49
JimThias

Quote:
I draw the line with LP's. Digital is so much clearer and so much more realistic to my ear.

The warmth of LP's escapes me. All I hear is hiss, rumble, limited dynamic and spacial sense. Listening to 50 year old music today in digital from the master tapes beats the heck out of an LP then or now. It's like hearing for the first time what the musicians actually wanted me to hear.

Yes, if I am fortunate to have a pristine album, no pops or clicks on my multi $$$ music system.

Then I hook up iTunes and life is even better.
I agree, Dennis. I've been a club DJ for nearly 23 years, and have a 12" single collection in the multi-thousands dating back to the mid-80s. 12" singles, especially the 45rpm versions, were some of the best quality pressed vinyl you could listen to a song on. Compare the sound of a song on a 12" vinyl single to that on an LP, and it's a night and day difference. I'd say most people who have listened to vinyl did so with LPs and not 12" singles. That being said, to this day, I've yet to hear a vinyl recording on 12" single that sounded BETTER than its CD single counterpart. Unless you have the most high quality audio equipment (I'm talking thousands of dollars for turntables, cartridges, headphones, etc), you're not going to hear that minute difference in warmth or dynamics.

I understand the sentiment that vinyl sounds warmer than CDs, but I belive much of that sentiment comes from the early days of CD production. The production/processing of vinyl hasn't changed in the 25 years since CDs debuted, but you can bet the technology for mastering and producing CDs has increased in leaps and bounds. Does ANYONE really think that the "warm" sound of vinyl hasn't been recreated on CDs in the past 25 years? You're kidding yourself if you don't think it has.

Now, if you're listening to compressed MP3s in iTunes or on your MP3 player, you can certainly hear a difference in sound quality between the MP3 and CD. That's why I can't for the life of me understand why people rip songs off of CDs at anything less than the maximum bit rate of 320. If you can tell the difference between a 320 bit rate MP3 and the CD version, then you need to have a job with the government. However, it's easy to hear the compressed artifacts of a 192 or less bit rate MP3.

And yes, CDs are dead in terms of a future. It won't be long until SSD takes over everything in the computing world. The technology of SSD drives is probably going to put the final nail in the coffin of CD players and compact discs.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:11 AM   #50
35mmguy

It's a damn shame that 100 years from now all anyone is going to find in an attic are some corrupt disk drives and scratched up CD's instead of negatives and photo albums.