Old 03-15-2019, 03:07 PM   #1
Grewup on the CW

Default 611 @ Strasburg RR this fall (2019)

Tickets just went on sale. Curios as to whom might be going for possible meet and greet.
https://www.strasburgrailroad.com/
Grewup on the CW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 03:26 PM   #2
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewup on the CW View Post
Tickets just went on sale. Curios as to whom might be going for possible meet and greet.
https://www.strasburgrailroad.com/
I bought all 4 of the day sessions. Although it won't be 60 mph running, Strasburg has a decent grade and solid track. They also have a nice selection of vintage freight cars. The combination of both extant, operable N&W engines should be a pretty nice weekend, especially if the weather is decent. Pete has run plenty of trips at "The Burg", so he'll get everybody the best that can be had given the light we get.

The night session sounded interesting, BUT at $750 for 4 hrs, I think they will have much more difficulty selling it out. I personally passed on it. I do as many charters as anyone I know, and what I've learned is that night sessions are a crap-shoot. With 35 people and just 3-4 hrs, you're lucky if you get 2-3 different photos that are keepers.....and you may get nothing you like. In my mind, no night session in the world is worth $750, but I thought that was just me. I was on a charter late last week when this stuff got announced and I took an informal poll. All but one of the patrons I talked to thought the price of the Strasburg night session was nuts. BTW, Pete had nothing to do with the pricing. That was set by the RR and the VMT.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:09 PM   #3
bigbassloyd

Depending on the final arrangements I may chase it moving to and fro. I enjoyed shooting it on home rails by home signals and there's no way I'll top that on the 4.5 miles of relatively bland trackage at Strasburg. I'm sure many others will enjoy it though.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:33 PM   #4
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
Depending on the final arrangements I may chase it moving to and fro. I enjoyed shooting it on home rails by home signals and there's no way I'll top that on the 4.5 miles of relatively bland trackage at Strasburg. I'm sure many others will enjoy it though.

Loyd L.
Although Strasburg won't look like VA or NC, the place is well-suited for photography, particularly at sunrise and sunset, assuming the weather cooperates. It is decently lit for most of the day. Unlike some railroads I've been on lately, it doesn't take long to get from A to B, so most of the trip will be spent shooting vs. riding. Also, it will be a vintage freight, vs. a hodge podge of dome cars from various railroads, so a tad more authentic than a typical fan trip on the NS.

I really wanted to photograph 611 on home rails, but the one time I was able to arrange a chase with a friend who really knew the territory, good ole JetBlue destroyed my plan at the last minute, by delaying and then finally canceling my flight....and telling me they couldn't get me down there for at least 48 hrs. I've had more miserable experiences on JetBlue than any other airline.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 06:55 PM   #5
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
I really wanted to photograph 611 on home rails, but the one time I was able to arrange a chase with a friend who really knew the territory, good ole JetBlue destroyed my plan at the last minute, by delaying and then finally canceling my flight....and telling me they couldn't get me down there for at least 48 hrs. I've had more miserable experiences on JetBlue than any other airline.
I remember you telling me about that. You would have enjoyed the dome cars

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote