Old 11-21-2006, 04:09 AM   #1
alstom
Banned

Default A little help here!

I submitted two photos earlier that I really like and think have some potential. I would like to get them in, but I don't know how to get around the darkness. In fact, I think the dreariness and darkness adds to the photo. Any suggestions comments about how to improve these would be most appreciated! Thanks!

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=309147
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=309146

Rich

alstom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 04:34 AM   #2
JRMDC

Well, the second one, the reason says it all, overcast, standard shot (I just looked, 42 shots in RP if one searches for "Cuyahoga Valley"). It's nicely done, but it's overcast, not much you can do. I like it as it is! But I agree with the screener, as far as my perception of RP's preferences.

I would suggest that, next time, you shift the view to the right a bit - get a bit of space around the switchstand and lose some of the car. Or, step to the right a bit so you can get the switchstand in more and yet lose the power line.

The first one, to me it's dreary in an uninteresting way - a darker shot is not always a more interesting, more moody shot - sometimes it's just darker. I don't think brightening it will help because then I think you will just get another Poor Lighting (Cloudy) response. Even if you also crop the sky and the SUV on the left.

Sorry for the harshness. Looks like you were set up for some nice shots but the weather didn't cooperate, oh well.
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 08:06 PM   #3
alstom
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
Well, the second one, the reason says it all, overcast, standard shot (I just looked, 42 shots in RP if one searches for "Cuyahoga Valley"). It's nicely done, but it's overcast, not much you can do. I like it as it is! But I agree with the screener, as far as my perception of RP's preferences.

I would suggest that, next time, you shift the view to the right a bit - get a bit of space around the switchstand and lose some of the car. Or, step to the right a bit so you can get the switchstand in more and yet lose the power line.

The first one, to me it's dreary in an uninteresting way - a darker shot is not always a more interesting, more moody shot - sometimes it's just darker. I don't think brightening it will help because then I think you will just get another Poor Lighting (Cloudy) response. Even if you also crop the sky and the SUV on the left.

Sorry for the harshness. Looks like you were set up for some nice shots but the weather didn't cooperate, oh well.
I agree, the first photo I shouldn't have even tried. But I sort of liked the effect the darkness gave the second one, and the soaked rails with leaves in them. When I get back to Peninsula again (to see the "Polar Express" with a steam engine) I will try to get the switch stand in more.
alstom is offline   Reply With Quote