Old 07-09-2005, 04:34 AM   #1
mtrails

Question Help with SP operations in Nevada

Hey all, I have been trying to gather information regarding a small intermodel operation carried by SP (Golden Pig Sevice) from the Parr loading facility in Reno, NV. I have had no luck. I am also trying to find a rail map or information regarding the service transport from Reno to Oregon. If anyone can shed some light on the subject, I would greatly appreciate it. Oh, and the time period preferred, is 1983-1989. Thanks!

Jeremy
mtrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 10:50 PM   #2
mtrails

I have obtained the information I was looking for. Thanks anyways.
Old 07-16-2005, 12:07 AM   #3
J

What did you find out?
J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 01:32 AM   #4
mtrails

In respect to privacy, I was referred by a member of the forum to a friend who knows a thing or two about SP operations. Here's what he said:

"This is the former Western Pacific Reno Branch, It runs from the Former SP line right around MP 241.6 CP Sutro. It starts as MP 33.3 and ends as MP 0.0 at Reno Junction near Hallelujah Jct. Today this line is the Union Pacific Reno Subdivision. The line sees one train a day each way. Same train, it is the Reno Local, it departs Sparks yard around 8am and takes usually about 15-20 cars and about 10-20 sets of Double Stacks up to Parr Yard where the Double Stacks are dropped off to be unloaded. (Donner Pass can't handle Stacks, so they offload them at Parr. While Parr is unloading these Stacks. The power takes the remainder of the train and heads north towards Stead. They serves a couple of industrys at Lemmon Valley Road, then lead down into Stead breaks off at Leareno (MP 21.0). Beyond Lareno, they occasioanlly take a tank car or two to a Propane dealer at Bordertown. At the Nevada/California State line, the tracks are currently severed with one rail unspiked and rolled over and a red board in place, I am told that this is to avoid interstate taxes. Beyoind the red board towards Reno Jct, the tracks have been used in the past to store Autoracks and Napa Pipe flats (Which you probably took for spine cars). I am also told that UP is working on a plan to re-open this line for the purpose of running stacks between Parr Yard and Chilcoot on the Winnemucca Sub (about 5 miles west of Hallelujah Jct on Hwy 70). I have not heard any more about this plan. When the Reno Local is done switching Stead, it returns to Parr and picks up the stacks that have now been unloaded and re-loaded with EB traffic, then all returns to Sparks."

Jeremy
Old 07-18-2005, 06:01 PM   #5
J

Thx. I was curious about your initial question since the Donner pass wasn't cleared for stacks.
J is offline   Reply With Quote