Old 06-23-2013, 11:14 AM   #1
mersenne6

Default Need help on color depth/color saturation

I could use some forum help on this issue. Both of these pictures were rejected for color depth/saturation. The problem I have is that this is the way they looked. All I did to the pictures was crop, lighten shadows, and sharpen. I've tried a couple of things but the end result are washed out looking pictures.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...24&key=4684233

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...31&key=2417255

I did try changing the night shot and the result was a rejection for a different reason.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...00&key=9495905
mersenne6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:11 PM   #2
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

Some may disagree with me, but for the daytime photo, it has a slight under exposed appearance to me which may fix the color issue.

For the night time photo, it appears like you have fixed the color issue. Try to bring the exposure up a little now.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:13 PM   #3
mersenne6

Thanks for your input - it was worth a try but no go.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:59 PM   #4
Dennis A. Livesey

The daytime shot is definitely an exposure issue. Get your histogram in shape and the color will fall into place.

The night shot has a bad color balance since the trains are a weird color. Also as you have seen, it is under exposed since the the trains are too dark. Check your histogram again. Then use your white color balance dropper to find a spot on the white side of the left car. That should work.

The next rejection will be unlevel. I would level off the left car.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:14 AM   #5
mersenne6

Thanks for your comments Dennis. When you say "get your histograms in order" I'm assuming you mean looking at the RGB light levels and moving the sliders to change color cast and/or adjust highlights. If I do that I do get quite a change in image color. Below is what I think you are referring to and what the screeners want. Since I don't want to wear out my welcome with the screeners could you look at the changes below and let me know if this is what you and perhaps they are recommending? If this isn't the right direction I'd appreciate any other comments/suggestions you might have.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:04 PM   #6
Dennis A. Livesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersenne6 View Post
Thanks for your comments Dennis. When you say "get your histograms in order" I'm assuming you mean looking at the RGB light levels and moving the sliders to change color cast and/or adjust highlights. If I do that I do get quite a change in image color. Below is what I think you are referring to and what the screeners want. Since I don't want to wear out my welcome with the screeners could you look at the changes below and let me know if this is what you and perhaps they are recommending? If this isn't the right direction I'd appreciate any other comments/suggestions you might have.

You processing program has a histogram somewhere. Just like on your camera, you should set your exposure so that the lines are not piled on either side of the histogram. You will adjust this histogram with your exposure slider mainly. Other sliders will impact it yes so do watch out.

Unfortunately, I am not the one who knows processing that well. There are many others here who take to it much more naturally.

The shot you attached looks much better but I would say it could go much prettier.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:50 AM   #7
mersenne6

Ok, thanks for replying. I'll do some investigating, reading and experimenting before I try for a re-submission.