Old 07-19-2013, 07:34 PM   #76
TheOldMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortlinesUSA View Post
Did you wind up going to the meeting? Again, many thanks for continuing to follow the saga on the CALA. It would be great to see trains moving again there.
Thanks for the post, ShortliensUSA. I decided I had better take care of my own work that I get paid for, rather than go to the committee meeting, and get paid nothing.

I made the right decision, because the meeting was cancelled again. See the link below for a Sun News report that mentions the meeting being cancelled.

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/201...railroad.html#

-John Fogherty, Green River

Last edited by TheOldMan; 07-19-2013 at 07:42 PM.
TheOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:40 PM   #77
TheOldMan

The Sun News article also claimed that Horry County had cancelled its lease with Carolina Southern for the 14 miles of track between Conway and Myrtle Beach, but so far I have not been able to determine if that is correct from the minutes of the County Council.

Last edited by TheOldMan; 07-19-2013 at 07:43 PM.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:58 AM   #78
ShortlinesUSA

Sounds like they're going nowhere fast down there...

Shortline and Regional RR forum moderator
ShortlinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:53 AM   #79
Joe the Photog

I hope Horry County doesn't decide to pull the rail up.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:59 AM   #80
TheOldMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Joe, that makes two of us.

So far, I have not found any confirmation in the County Council records that Horry County's lease with B&A RR dba CS RR has been cancelled.

I spent (how many?) years attending Horry County Council meetings, and CSRR's full name as used in legal documents has stuck in my mind.

I have a copy of B&A's, dba CS's lease with Horry County, & if the CS owned track is sold to another company, the lease on Horry County's 14 mi Conway-Myrtle Beach track cannot be sold with the CS owned track.

So, in the interest of keeping the County owned track hopefully eventually reopening, I don't see that cancelling the lease now would be useful.

If, ultimately, the Conway-MB track cannot be practically used for freight shipping, I believe that the only thing that will keep it there will be its value as a historical relic.

Jack Thompson's sentimentality over the MB depot kept it there, and I often watch the video taken inside the passenger train I rode when the depot reopened, and think of the youngsters riding on that train with myself & the other old men & old women who won't be here in years to come, & fantasize that when they are grown up, & in positions of power, their sentimenal memories of riding the train, will keep the track from being pulled up.

That was nine years ago, & those young restless riders(Arlo Guthrie song) are still many years away from being County Council members.

I just can't envision a historical train depot with no railroad.
Smilies

Last edited by TheOldMan; 07-22-2013 at 02:04 AM.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:09 AM   #81
troy12n

Quote:
That money they invested to rebuild the drawbridge in Myrtle Beach is really looking like a wise investment at this point. They had like what, 2 trains cross it?

Quote:
Rail service to Myrtle Beach, S.C., resumed on June 22 after a 14-year absence, Trains Magazine’s website reported. An inaugural train carrying 200 passengers rolled across the Pine Island Bridge, spanning the Intracoastal Waterway, arriving at the Myrtle Beach depot. The South Carolina Department of Transportation spent $4.2 million to renovate the 54-year-old drawbridge.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:50 AM   #82
nikos1

There were shipments to 84 lumber in Myrtle Beach, there are a few shots on here but yes that amount of money could probably have been better spent.

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:13 PM   #83
BR549

Something that I've heard on more than one occasion is that regardless of the fact that CSX sold the railroad outright in the mid 80's, they would be required to step in and take action (when I say "take action", I mean assume operations of the railroad) if no other options were available. Has anyone else ever heard of that? It would seem to me that they are of no responsibility or obligation.
BR549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:28 PM   #84
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR549 View Post
Something that I've heard on more than one occasion is that regardless of the fact that CSX sold the railroad outright in the mid 80's, they would be required to step in and take action (when I say "take action", I mean assume operations of the railroad) if no other options were available. Has anyone else ever heard of that? It would seem to me that they are of no responsibility or obligation.
That would surprise me 26+ years after selling the line, but I'm no lawyer. If so, they better find the lightest engines on their roster.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:52 AM   #85
troy12n

Quote:
I dont think that is accurate.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:23 PM   #86
TheOldMan

Quote:
That's a new one to me, too.

CSX(or were they still Seaboard Systems), sold the Mullins to Chadbourn, to Whiteville and Conway line to Mid Atlantic/Duval Transportation, in the first half of 1987.

When they sold the Conway to Myrtle Beach track to Horry County in 1984, they also obtained an abandonment certificate from the ICC, obviously to protect them from any possible liability they might have still had in the track if they had not abandoned it.

Old 07-31-2013, 03:38 PM   #87
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldMan View Post
CSX(or were they still Seaboard Systems), sold the Mullins to Chadbourn, to Whiteville and Conway line to Mid Atlantic/Duval Transportation, in the first half of 1987.
I've always wondered about the change from Duval Transportation to Mid-Atlantic. Was that simply a name change or a change in ownership? Either way, Duval Transportation was a really bad name for a railroad.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:57 PM   #88
TheOldMan

Default Duval Transportation

Quote:
I've always wondered about the change from Duval Transportation to Mid-Atlantic. Was that simply a name change or a change in ownership? Either way, Duval Transportation was a really bad name for a railroad.
Joe, I thought I had the Sun-News article on the sale to Mid Atlantic/Duval close at hand, but last night, couldn't find it.

I'm sure I can find it easily, though, since the Sun-News is readily available on microfilm. It was titled something like, "Horry Railroad operator buys a short line."

The article quoted a Seabord Systems/CSX spokesman as saying that selling was an alternative to abandonment of the track.

Old 08-02-2013, 04:16 AM   #89
BR549

Quote:
I've always wondered about the change from Duval Transportation to Mid-Atlantic. Was that simply a name change or a change in ownership?
It was a change in ownership. It was sold to an Owen from Siler City who renamed it "Mid-Atlantic Railroad". Then he sold it to the current owners.

If CSX, Seaboard, or whomever did actually sell the railroad initially with the liability clause, sounds like CSX is free and clear. The long this drags out, the more work that's going to have to be done in addition to the bridge work. My last pass through Tabor City a couple of weeks ago around the state line revealed the weeds and grass getting way out of hand on the right of way ... like four or five feet high out of hand.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:13 PM   #90
TheOldMan

Quote:
. . . My last pass through Tabor City a couple of weeks ago around the state line revealed the weeds and grass getting way out of hand on the right of way ... like four or five feet high out of hand.
That's not good. In taking care of my business, I cross the railroad at Carolina Forest. At that location there is only a spotty, slight growth of vegitation on the track.

Old 08-04-2013, 02:34 PM   #91
ShortlinesUSA

Maybe that'll help stabilize the roadbed a bit... HA! Nice to hear from you, BR549. Thanks for stopping by to visit the forum.

Shortline and Regional RR forum moderator
ShortlinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:54 PM   #92
troy12n

Quote:
It was a change in ownership. It was sold to an Owen from Siler City who renamed it "Mid-Atlantic Railroad". Then he sold it to the current owners.

If CSX, Seaboard, or whomever did actually sell the railroad initially with the liability clause, sounds like CSX is free and clear. The long this drags out, the more work that's going to have to be done in addition to the bridge work. My last pass through Tabor City a couple of weeks ago around the state line revealed the weeds and grass getting way out of hand on the right of way ... like four or five feet high out of hand.
It's gonna have to drag out about 10-15 years before "vegetation" becomes an issue.

As it is now, the railroad is complete garbage, and a little kudzu might actually hold what little ballast and ties there are in place
Old 08-06-2013, 09:13 PM   #93
TheOldMan

Default Horry County Council

So far, I have not found anything in the Horry County Council records regarding the cancellation or possible cancellation of B&A dba CS RR's lease on the 14 miles of railroad from Conway to Myrtle Beach.

I am now checking out the County Council records for this week and next week.

The agenda for the next full Council meeting of August 18, 2013, is not yet available.

This week, The Infrasctucture and Regulation Committe is scheduled to meet on Thursday, August 8, at 9:00 AM.

First item on the agenda is "Railroad Uupdate/Doug Wendell, Chairman"

http://horrycounty.granicus.com/Docu...a69.pdf&view=1

Now that I have gotten "plugged in" to the current County Council discussions of the railroad, I will monitor the minutes of the meeting after they are posted.

Last edited by TheOldMan; 08-06-2013 at 09:16 PM.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:28 PM   #94
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Now that I have gotten "plugged in" to the current County Council discussions of the railroad, I will monitor the minutes of the meeting after they are posted.
Your updates are much appreciated.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:37 PM   #95
TheOldMan

Quote:
Your updates are much appreciated.
Thanks for the post, Joe. If I didn't need to work to earn a paycheck, I'd go to the committee meeting tomorrow.

When I find the time, I will go backwards in the County Council to see if the newspaper report claiming that the railroad lease has been cancelled is correct.

Being in default on lease payments is grounds for cancelling the lease, but does not automatically terminate the lease.

Shortly after signing the lease, B&A, dba CS was did not make a payment for a locomotive it bought from the County with the lease, on the date stated in the lease agreement.

The county attorney told the Council that this was a default that the county could terminate the lease over, but the matter was taken care of with an amendment to the lease.

Being in a situation where the lease could be terminated by the county is not the same as the County Council voting to terminate the lease, and so far, I have not found anything in the County Council records stating that the County Council had voted to do so.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:54 PM   #96
Joe the Photog

I know there are rumors and speculation, but someone posted to a Facebook status I made in jest about what I would do with the 425 million dollar lottery by saying he has heard three different entities are looking into buying the railroad. Naturally, no names were named.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:43 PM   #97
TheOldMan

Default Front Page Story

Front page story in today's Myrtle Beach Sun-News:

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/201...s-working.html

Old 08-09-2013, 08:29 PM   #98
TheOldMan

I was surprised to find that the video of yesterday's meeting is already posted to the Net.

Don't have time to view it now, but here's the link to the County Council page:

http://www.horrycounty.org/council/index.asp

Scroll down to the Infrastructure and Regulation Committe meeting of August 8, yesterday, and the link to the video is on the far right column.

The agenda for next week's Tuesday meeting of Horry County Council is still not available on the County webpage, but in the Sun News article, it is stated that discussion of the railroad will take place at that meeting.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:11 AM   #99
BR549

Quote:
Front page story in today's Myrtle Beach Sun-News:

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/201...s-working.html
This is about to get very interesting!
Old 08-11-2013, 03:28 AM   #100
troy12n

Quote:
This is about to get very interesting!
The only thing that might be interesting is making a drive up there for some interesting abandonment / ripping track up / scrapping equipment in place pictures in the near future