Go Back   RailPictures.Net Forums > Railroad Photography Forums > Railroad Photography Forum

Old 10-11-2017, 02:42 PM   #176
troy12n

Also, in the case of this one shot, I find it hard to believe that that is the best angle he could have gotten...
Old 10-11-2017, 02:57 PM   #177
Joseph Cermak

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
Drone photos to me are such a "gimmick shot", especially at this point. Photo quality on most of them is still pretty poor too, there is always some image quality or focus issue with them
While there certainly are still image quality issues with some drone shots, there are definitely good drone shots out there from a composition standpoint that set themselves apart from just being a gimmick.
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 07:16 PM   #178
troy12n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Cermak View Post
While there certainly are still image quality issues with some drone shots, there are definitely good drone shots out there from a composition standpoint that set themselves apart from just being a gimmick.
I think the truly exceptional drone shots are vastly outnumbered by what I consider gimmick shots, and by a pretty large margin too IMHO
Old 10-12-2017, 03:41 PM   #179
troy12n

Not one, but TWO interior shots... with over 2000 views and only a handful of favorites (who is favoriting this?)

Image © Matt Donnelly
PhotoID: 633942
Photograph © Matt Donnelly

Image © Matt Donnelly
PhotoID: 633941
Old 10-12-2017, 04:47 PM   #180
KevinM

Quote:
Not one, but TWO interior shots... with over 2000 views and only a handful of favorites (who is favoriting this?)

Image © Matt Donnelly

Image © Matt Donnelly
It's "juiced" by links from other sites, possibly Facebook. The list of "juicers" is growing. They're not content to put their images on RP and simply see what the audience thinks. Instead, they juice the view-counts with links, so their stuff will artificially look more popular than everyone else's. Nowadays, it's almost impossible to attain a To24 slot unless you're juicin'.....or you have a wreck or a pretty woman in the scene.

My stuff is here.

Yeah, I do Flickr too. Tons of non-RP stuff there.
KevinM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 04:56 PM   #181
KevinM

Quote:
I think the truly exceptional drone shots are vastly outnumbered by what I consider gimmick shots, and by a pretty large margin too IMHO
Some of them also look as if they were shot from above 400 AGL. I suspect that many of them either ignore the rules or they don't know the rules. A week or so back there was a video that appeared on YouTube of some guy flying rather recklessly around a freight train as it passed over a bridge. He flew through the bridge, between cars and even did some aerobatics in very close proximity to the train. At one point, he flew relatively close to the cab and the Conductor could be seen slamming an open window shut. Trains Magazine put links to that video in their weekly newsletter and instead of condemning it as completely irresponsible, they took a neutral position and just gave the guy the stage he was looking for. I hope that FAA sees it and is able to track the guy down. He probably doesn't know it, but he could face some very harsh civil penalties for FAR violations that could curb his little drone hobby for a good while.

My stuff is here.

Last edited by KevinM; 10-12-2017 at 06:03 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 05:00 PM   #182
Joseph Cermak

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
It's "juiced" by links from other sites, possibly Facebook. The list of "juicers" is growing. They're not content to put their images on RP and simply see what the audience thinks. Instead, they juice the view-counts with links, so their stuff will artificially look more popular than everyone else's. Nowadays, it's almost impossible to attain a To24 slot unless you're juicin'.....or you have a wreck or a pretty woman in the scene.
I mean this is Matt Donnelly, the Amtrak photographer, lots of leeway in whats accepted of his and it always gets loads of views, though I don't know if they're linked or what. I guess these have some "news aspect" because they're the first amfleets to receive the new interiors, but they're still pretty boring photos for both to be in the TO24.
Old 10-12-2017, 05:12 PM   #183
KevinM

I've always advocated a policy that folks can link as much as they'd like.....but only RP-generated views would count toward To24. But, it's not my site.

My stuff is here.

Old 10-12-2017, 08:00 PM   #184
Decapod401

Quote:
I've always advocated a policy that folks can link as much as they'd like.....but only RP-generated views would count toward To24. But, it's not my site.
I'm with you Kevin. I was quite surprised to see that your most recent SC had a hard time cracking the top 4. Sometimes there are just a number of excellent images that are submitted around the same time (luck of the draw), but uninteresting shots shouldn't be keeping out the better photos. I know admin wants views, but excluding the better images in favor of views is creating a downward spiral where many of the better photographers are demotivated to submit images. Ultimately the views will disappear as the site morphs to "The best-linked railroad photos on the net".

My RP Pics are HERE.

I've now got a Flickr. account, too.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:38 PM   #185
Noct Foamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
Also:
I have not see too many of the moving night flash shots lately, not sure if that is worn off or waiting for shorter days. Some are Very good and others are like the camera trap on a trail, ok for mountain lions but not so much for trains. I wonder about the acceptance ratio of those also.

Bob

It's harder to shoot on summer nights. There are a lot more bugs flying in the air for one thing. When the flash hits them they make big white spots all over the place. Many of those bugs are mosquitos which are bad enough but some carry West Nile. Another thing is it gets dark much later in the day, so it's tough on you to be out at 1 am and have to go to work seven hours later. Finally, there are a lot more people out and about on summer nights, and they are drawn to you like moths to a flame. I sometimes feel a little uneasy being in a remote spot with thousands of $$ of camera gear and see some pretty "iffy" looking characters show up. Don't have that problem when it's 20 below.

Now that it's getting dark earlier, I've charged up my batteries and begun heading out at sunset myself. This is my 11th year doing night flash shots.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/968260...posted-public/

Kent in SD

Last edited by Noct Foamer; 10-12-2017 at 11:48 PM.
Noct Foamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 12:00 AM   #186
miningcamper1

Quote:

Image © Matt Donnelly

Image © Matt Donnelly
The Business Class car has nice blue curtains. Very different from the other car! [not]

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 01:24 PM   #187
Joseph Cermak

So usually you get a PAQ if you take a shot that looks like you're trespassing but apparently this is fine???

Image © Ricki Dirjo
PhotoID: 634075
Photograph © Ricki Dirjo
Old 10-13-2017, 01:49 PM   #188
KevinM

Quote:
So usually you get a PAQ if you take a shot that looks like you're trespassing but apparently this is fine???

Image © Ricki Dirjo
Photograph © Ricki Dirjo
Hi Joseph,

I think the reason is because the image was shot in Cambodia. In some parts of the world, it is OK to ride on the roof of the passenger cars, so I suspect that the authorities don't sweat these folks enjoying the evening sitting on the rail-head.

My stuff is here.

Old 10-13-2017, 02:15 PM   #189
Joseph Cermak

Quote:
Hi Joseph,

I think the reason is because the image was shot in Cambodia. In some parts of the world, it is OK to ride on the roof of the passenger cars, so I suspect that the authorities don't sweat these folks enjoying the evening sitting on the rail-head.
I certainly agree the authorities there may not care, but for a predominately North American website it just seems like a poor example to be setting. Just another one of the RP double standards.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:31 PM   #190
KevinM

Quote:
I certainly agree the authorities there may not care, but for a predominately North American website it just seems like a poor example to be setting. Just another one of the RP double standards.
I think the main concern is that they don't want to appear to be encouraging or condoning folks in North America taking risks or violating laws in order to take compelling photos. We have a lot of regulations, particularly here in the US, and the site wants the content to reflect folks complying with those regulations.

As I noted in my previous post, things are way different in many other countries, and most people know that the safety culture is just not the same. That's why you'll not only see photos such as the one you cited, but also photos of trains that are literally crawling with people, hanging on the running boards, riding on the roofs, etc. And here's the other thing....those photos bring a lot of views to the site, which brings advertising revenue. So its a win-win. The site gets income.....and everybody knows that anything goes in some parts of the world. If anything, those photos make you appreciate how much progress has been made here in terms of safety. When some gets hit by a train here, it makes news. Other places, the values are different, for whatever reason.

My stuff is here.

Old 10-13-2017, 02:39 PM   #191
Joseph Cermak

Quote:
I think the main concern is that they don't want to appear to be encouraging or condoning folks in North America taking risks or violating laws in order to take compelling photos. We have a lot of regulations, particularly here in the US, and the site wants the content to reflect folks complying with those regulations.

As I noted in my previous post, things are way different in many other countries, and most people know that the safety culture is just not the same. That's why you'll not only see photos such as the one you cited, but also photos of trains that are literally crawling with people, hanging on the running boards, riding on the roofs, etc. And here's the other thing....those photos bring a lot of views to the site, which brings advertising revenue. So its a win-win. The site gets income.....and everybody knows that anything goes in some parts of the world. If anything, those photos make you appreciate how much progress has been made here in terms of safety. When some gets hit by a train here, it makes news. Other places, the values are different, for whatever reason.
I'm well aware of the cultural differences between the countries and differences in what is allowable, but respectfully disagree. Photos with people standing in the gauge (that shouldn't be) are in poor taste IMO.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:29 PM   #192
RobJor

I think he could have got essentially the same photo standing a little back and away and included both catenary supports, as is a little awkward composition??? Normal would be to frame the train. I'd guess the trespassing thing could be a matter of both legal and maintaining good relations with railroads in North America.

One favorite example of cultural differences was an photo from the Phillipines, it is a commuter line and between trains locals operate little jitney's on the track ferrying commuters.

Personally I think trespassing is a matter between the railroad or other property owner and the individual.

Bob Jordan
RobJor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:34 PM   #193
jac_murphy

Looks like the photographer mistakenly entered "Cambodia" in the location box on the photo. It's actually in Indonesia; Cakung is a suburb of Jakarta.

Frankly, I don't have an issue with this type of photo.

-Jacques
jac_murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 09:01 PM   #194
RobJor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac_murphy View Post
Looks like the photographer mistakenly entered "Cambodia" in the location box on the photo. It's actually in Indonesia; Cakung is a suburb of Jakarta.

-Jacques
I think this was addressed before? the drop down menu will not accept Indonesia so he enters something else and changes it later. At least that is what I remember. I also had this happen with an engine designation.

Bob
RobJor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 09:01 PM   #195
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac_murphy View Post

-Jacques
This issue came up in a previous thread. Something about the server not accepting photos tagged as "Indonesia".

Old 10-13-2017, 09:26 PM   #196
troy12n

Quote:

Image © Ricki Dirjo
Photograph © Ricki Dirjo
I'm 1000% positive that worse shit happens in CAMBODIA than trespassing. In fact, it's probably encouraged
Old 10-13-2017, 09:28 PM   #197
jac_murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
This issue came up in a previous thread. Something about the server not accepting photos tagged as "Indonesia".
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
I think this was addressed before? the drop down menu will not accept Indonesia so he enters something else and changes it later. At least that is what I remember. I also had this happen with an engine designation.
I see. I must've missed that thread!

-Jacques
jac_murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 09:29 PM   #198
troy12n

Quote:
It's not, you are wrong, or misguided.

Here's another example of "cultural difference" that are ok in the third world, but wouldn't fly here

Image © Shashanka
PhotoID: 278577
Photograph © Shashanka
Old 10-13-2017, 10:22 PM   #199
miningcamper1

Quote:
It's not, you are wrong, or misguided.

Here's another example of "cultural difference" that are ok in the third world, but wouldn't fly here

Image © Shashanka
PhotoID: 278577
Photograph © Shashanka
Always make sure to buy a First Class ticket!

Last edited by miningcamper1; 10-13-2017 at 10:24 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-13-2017, 10:27 PM   #200
Joe the Photog

Quote:
They're not content to put their images on RP and simply see what the audience thinks.
So you think a filmmaker should make a movie and then not market it? Or there should be a football game that never gets broadcasted? True though. Most rock bands never try to get on radio.

SMH