Old 10-11-2017, 12:08 AM   #1
Joseph Cermak

Default PAQ Thoughts

Thought this was something interesting and a little different than a generic gevo wedge shots but got PAQed. Any thoughts on this? Things I could change or recrop etc? Thanks.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...95&key=3296456
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 01:44 AM   #2
Decapod401

I like the concept, but you have done a 50/50 split of the trailer and the locos, making the photo somewhat schizophrenic. If you have the opportunity for a redo, stand back about 50 feet so you can see the sky above and the ground below the trailer. Right now, the end if the trailer is providing a vertical split between the two elements of the photo, and you need to eliminate that division. Deemphasize the trailer, but don't let much, if any space get between the trailer and the string of locos, or you will have found a new way to split the two elements of the photo. JMHO

My RP Pics are HERE.

I've now got a Flickr. account, too.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 01:52 AM   #3
Joseph Cermak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decapod401 View Post
I like the concept, but you have done a 50/50 split of the trailer and the locos, making the photo somewhat schizophrenic. If you have the opportunity for a redo, stand back about 50 feet so you can see the sky above and the ground below the trailer. Right now, the end if the trailer is providing a vertical split between the two elements of the photo, and you need to eliminate that division. Deemphasize the trailer, but don't let much, if any space get between the trailer and the string of locos, or you will have found a new way to split the two elements of the photo. JMHO
Do you think something like this is better? Unfortunately a reshoot won't be possible until next summer for the right lighting, and who knows if there will be any locos here by then...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0778-2.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	929.5 KB
ID:	9525  
Old 10-11-2017, 01:55 AM   #4
troy12n

I don't see this getting on, doesn't really do anything for me.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:19 AM   #5
Decapod401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Cermak View Post
Do you think something like this is better? Unfortunately a reshoot won't be possible until next summer for the right lighting, and who knows if there will be any locos here by then...
You need to really deemphasize the trailer. It's way too dominant in both scenes.

My RP Pics are HERE.

I've now got a Flickr. account, too.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:35 AM   #6
troy12n

You could pull this off if it wasn't just some wedgie of a GE widecab in some nondescript field in Ohio or wherever it is with a chain link fence, some power lines and some utility trucks in the background.

It's just really not a photogenic location. Period... pass
Old 10-11-2017, 02:41 AM   #7
Joseph Cermak

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
You could pull this off if it wasn't just some wedgie of a GE widecab in some nondescript field in Ohio or wherever it is with a chain link fence, some power lines and some utility trucks in the background.

It's just really not a photogenic location. Period... pass
I mean it's at GE Transportation, hence trying to include the trailer so it's more than a wedge shot in a yard.

But then again, I've asked to you to not bother replying to my threads because I've never seen you give a helpful comment.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:42 AM   #8
bigbassloyd

I like the idea you had. I would have probably composed it from farther back and made the trailer less dominant.

Loyd L.

American Rails dot com - A fantastic website with tons of information and photographs related to American railroads and locomotives.
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:11 AM   #9
troy12n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Cermak View Post
I mean it's at GE Transportation, hence trying to include the trailer so it's more than a wedge shot in a yard.

But then again, I've asked to you to not bother replying to my threads because I've never seen you give a helpful comment.
Sorry you don't find my comments helpful... maybe you should actually listen to me

Your photo isn't very good, I don't care that it's at GE's plant, it's not a photogenic location

Every other comment here is telling you this exact same thing
Old 10-11-2017, 03:15 AM   #10
Joseph Cermak

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post

Every other comment here is telling you this exact same thing
Really? What you you reading? Cause both other commenters suggested de-emphasizing the trailer or that they liked the idea but would have composed differently.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:33 AM   #11
RobJor

Whenever you go outside the norm you have a "hill to climb" to get accepted. Just something different is not enough. There were comments on another thread about shooting wide to allow different crops. Also, everything is just sitting there and pixels are "free" so multiple shots and angles would have been in order like if you were doing ad or studio shots. You can try another version, has worked but there is still the hill to climb. So my thought would be lesson learned. I seem to remember a thread with pickup truck and engine in the desert and moving things around worked but I think there were multiple shots to work with.

I don't think replying negatively to other posters is helpful. I have learned to let it go for two reasons. Doesn't help get image accepted and usually stripping out the sarcasm there is some truth. To be honest, your lead-in kinda left you open.

Bob Jordan
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 04:30 PM   #12
Grewup on the CW

Nice Idea on thinking outside the box, wedgies are well, wedgies. While the back ground scenery is not as attractive as other pics and locations, you gotta work with what you got. I would have tried the pic/location/situation just like you have attempted. If we never try, then how will we succeed?
Grewup on the CW is offline   Reply With Quote