Old 06-29-2016, 12:10 PM   #1
MassArt Images
Senior Member
 
MassArt Images's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pittsburgh, PA area
Posts: 681
Default BNSF head-on collision in Panhandle, TX

A head-on collision just occurred in Texas. If I am not mistaken wasn't BNSF involved in the last one too?

Why are these still happening in this day and age even without PTC? Was this line not controlled by CTC? Maybe someone in the industry can shed some light on this.
__________________
Carl


My RP pics are HERE

My website is HERE
MassArt Images is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 05:28 PM   #2
jdirelan87
Senior Member
 
jdirelan87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Metro DC
Posts: 726
Default

Why do head-ons still happens in automobiles even though there are signs and signals to govern their movement? Signal doesn't do much if you sleep through it or get distracted and miss it. Fact of life, although PTC is to fix this, so they say.
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 01:55 AM   #3
MassArt Images
Senior Member
 
MassArt Images's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pittsburgh, PA area
Posts: 681
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdirelan87 View Post
Why do head-ons still happens in automobiles even though there are signs and signals to govern their movement?.
I would say that there are a lot more "idiots" behind the wheel of a car. Running a locomotive is a profession.

You brought up a good point about falling asleep. If the Conductor can't be a reliable extra set of eyes then have the "having two man crews improves safety" argument becomes moot.
__________________
Carl


My RP pics are HERE

My website is HERE
MassArt Images is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 06:02 PM   #4
jdirelan87
Senior Member
 
jdirelan87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Metro DC
Posts: 726
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassArt Images View Post
I would say that there are a lot more "idiots" behind the wheel of a car. Running a locomotive is a profession.

You brought up a good point about falling asleep. If the Conductor can't be a reliable extra set of eyes then have the "having two man crews improves safety" argument becomes moot.
Pilots receive years of training but planes still crash, mariners receive years of training but ships still sink. Perhaps being a professional mitigates risk to a degree, but in the end the law of averages will win. Accidents are an unavoidable part of any profession.
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 09:07 PM   #5
miningcamper1
Senior Member
 
miningcamper1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 921
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassArt Images View Post

You brought up a good point about falling asleep. If the Conductor can't be a reliable extra set of eyes then have the "having two man crews improves safety" argument becomes moot.
I accumulated a number of slides over the years of left-side crew sleeping, reading, making rude hand gestures, etc. These will either be photoshopped or just remain in the Logan files.
__________________
flickr photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/11947249@N03/

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 02:20 AM   #6
troy12n
Senior Member
 
troy12n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,291
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdirelan87 View Post
Pilots receive years of training but planes still crash, mariners receive years of training but ships still sink. Perhaps being a professional mitigates risk to a degree, but in the end the law of averages will win. Accidents are an unavoidable part of any profession.
Let's be real here. Planes crash, but honestly it's not very often. To compare the number of plane crashes is misleading.

Plus, truth be know, pilots can fall asleep with their planes on autopilot and no one would know or care. No signals to run, no other planes to run into (realistically), no crossings to blow for, etc

Looked at some of the video, and it appeared to be tangent track for miles and miles, so to me looks pretty clear what happened on the part of one or both crews.

Crew fatigue has been an issue since the 1800's. 16 hour service days until the mid 70's, no restrictions on crew calls. Trains still crashed. Probably MORE often, and with more disastrous results because passenger trains were more a thing.

Railroading is a dangerous profession, and the crews are paid handsomely for it. It's part of the job.
__________________
My RP.net photos

Last edited by troy12n; 07-01-2016 at 02:22 AM.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 11:58 AM   #7
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,688
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
Let's be real here. Planes crash, but honestly it's not very often. To compare the number of plane crashes is misleading.
And plane crashes are almost always due to equipment malfunction, even when flown by professionals.
__________________
.
Rhymes with slice, rice and mice, and probably should be spelled like "Tice."

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias

Last edited by JimThias; 07-01-2016 at 12:02 PM.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 07:46 PM   #8
miningcamper1
Senior Member
 
miningcamper1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 921
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassArt Images View Post
A head-on collision just occurred in Texas. If I am not mistaken wasn't BNSF involved in the last one too?
Might be this one (1:59). The video shows the fault petty clearly.

__________________
flickr photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/11947249@N03/

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/

Last edited by miningcamper1; 07-02-2016 at 07:59 PM. Reason: embed
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:28 PM   #9
troy12n
Senior Member
 
troy12n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,291
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
Might be this one (1:59). The video shows the fault petty clearly.

That one was several years ago, The train with the camera was supposed to take the siding, the train holding the main never stopped at the control point, although it was obviously they were not asleep at the time, as they were trying to stop and you saw the engineer bail
__________________
My RP.net photos
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bnsf, collision, head-on

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.